Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question on the AEM intake for EVO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on the AEM intake for EVO

I've heard alot of bad things on this intake. WHat exactly is the probelm with it? i heard it causes surging. i revved my car from the bay and i heard fluttering at the filter and i guess thats what people are talking about. what exactly causes it to surge? Is it the filter? If i got a HKS filter and replaced it with the AEM one, would it fix the problem
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled

Nothing is wrong, just a steep angle so it may not fit right, mine fit ok until I upgraded to hard IC pipes, Now I run teh HKS unit.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

People blow the aem intake problems out of proportion. Ive read alot about them and alot of people have had no problems, and mostly all the problems assosicated are fitment issuses and can easily be fixed. Most of the intakes are the same deisgn, cant see how 1 can be worse than the other.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
Nothing is wrong, just a steep angle so it may not fit right, mine fit ok until I upgraded to hard IC pipes, Now I run teh HKS unit.
May I ask what was the problem with the intake after the ic pipes, because I plan on putting my ic pipes on soon. thanks
Old Feb 10, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

probably the line up of the bov dump tubes. Well mine caused surging and after i put on HKS mushroom filter, it didnt surge anymore.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 07:44 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah no problem. Basically the AEM intake has a steep rake to begin with. In fact the filter hit the hood right out of the Box. The problem was the steep rake, and teh over sized filter. AEM remade the filter into a smaller one and it fit fine. Then WHen I put the IC pipes in, they are for one 2.5 inches instead of 2.0 or smaller, plus they are routed slightly different. SO it still fit, but the filter was MASHED against the hood, not even close to fitting. IMHO, just get thw APEXi power intake, very good system.