Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car and Driver Article comparing the Sti's and Evo's AWD systems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car and Driver Article comparing the Sti's and Evo's AWD systems

Just thought you guys might find this interesting

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

So, basically what the article said was that the Evo MR and the WRX STi are very close in performance. DUH...
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru always had the superior AWD system...there's nothing new here.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'm waiting for the Car & Driver comparision between the Evo AWD system and the SRT-4 FWD.

Perhaps then we will all understand why the SRT-4 "ownz".
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I found it pretty interesting information..... I dont know why so many flamers jumped on this right away though...
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Subaru always had the superior AWD system...there's nothing new here.
on paper only. Subaru AWD has more understeer on any surface and is not a seemless as any EVO system, it's all about how they drive IMHO
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i actually sent a letter to car and driver on this one. Dont know if they will put it in the next mag or not.... but I basically said that their analysis sounded like grounds for another test where they take a stock sti and stock evo to different tracks. My moneys on the evo
Old Feb 11, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

While I respect the desire to avoid another Sti bashing session, that no reason to slap someone down for posting an article. Reading a comparison between two noble competitors is a good thing. I haven't read the article yet, but if there's some good tech info about how each set of diffs is working and the advantages and disadvantages of each, then I'll consider it a good use of time.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dividedsky
While I respect the desire to avoid another Sti bashing session, that no reason to slap someone down for posting an article. Reading a comparison between two noble competitors is a good thing. I haven't read the article yet, but if there's some good tech info about how each set of diffs is working and the advantages and disadvantages of each, then I'll consider it a good use of time.
Yes, I didn't post this article with the intention to start up another bash or anything. I just though it was a cool piece of information.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

wasnt this exact already posted earlier 2day or so...there are many forums like this.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

The C&D article is very informative. For me both AWD systems functions in a different way, but still both AWD offers better handling/traction.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

subarus symmetric awd sounds better in threory but realize the engine and the transmission are mounted above the front differential. car and driver is too stupid to realize the evo has a lower center of gravity, thats why it beats the sti in the handling dept.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Note to the low post count newbies flaming the topic. DON'T. No one cares that you don't like the topic. Off topic comments will be removed, warning issued and your post count zeroed. (that is apparently the only reason you are posting).

Any questions?

Speedlmit....

Last edited by Speedlimit; Feb 12, 2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

This is why Subaru's main advertising focuses on their fantastic AWD system... It's good!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

I guess most of us have driven both cars. Where the Subaru seems like a car you'd want to drive to work everyday, the Evo is the kind of car you'd want to rob a bank and run from the cops with.

No, I dont really want to do either of those. Im just describing the mentality of a STy owner, an eliest (sp), a status junkie who bought the car becase of the .1 second difference in the 1320. I bought my car because its a pi$$ed off, mean, nasty, loud, obnoxoious car that I can abuse, drive hard, put away wet and laugh about how fast it is to other owners and wow non-believers when the turbo spools up. The STi just seems more, "luxury" to me.

The Evo is a ticking time bomb. Buy an exhaust, get Al Friedman to reflash the ECU, and light the fuse. Its got too much potential to even give a dang about the knock-happy STi. Read Shiv's sight on the STi, didn't it knock straight from the factory? Gotta love that....or was that someone elses write up?

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Article comparing the Sti's and Evo's AWD systems