Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MR launch.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR launch.

Well I tried launching my MR for the first time... Didnt work.. I cant figure out what went wrong. I reved to 2.5-3k and then tried to to slowly let out the clutch and wait on the grab befor I dump it for some go, go, go time.. Well sadly nothing happend.. The car reved up and didnt move an inch all I could smell was my clutch toasting.. I tried one more time and the same thing happend.. The car wouldnt move.. not even a slow budge.. It just reved up untill I put the clutch back in and let the rpms fall back to idle? The car refused to move a hair.. It almost made it seem like I had a super e-brake or something that locked all four wheels.. (and no the e-brake was not on.)

Any idea's
B
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:23 PM
WFO

You might want to take some time and learn how to drive.....before you fry the clutch completely.

Just a thought.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WFO
You might want to take some time and learn how to drive.....before you fry the clutch completely.

Just a thought.

hmmm good thought(thanks for wasteing my time with your post ) .. Answer this, The same launch works great in the 03 but wont work perioud in the 05 MR

Last edited by EidolaDream; Feb 11, 2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:28 PM
Account Disabled

Hey whats up bro whats happending is your sliding the clutch to much just slip it a lil more faster and rev a lil more higher maybe 4.5 5 k but practive at low before trying up high less chance of frying the clutch take care
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

i beleve they have a launch control i could be wrong tho. read it on evom some where could just be BS tho.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallyRedEvo05
Hey whats up bro whats happending is your sliding the clutch to much just slip it a lil more faster and rev a lil more higher maybe 4.5 5 k but practive at low before trying up high less chance of frying the clutch take care
think so? I wondered what the deal was. It works fine in my 03.. I guess im used to my 03 with an aftermarket clutch in it.. Tends to grab better. So you think I should dump a little more than im doing?

But for a launch I always(in the past) would rev to about 3k an let the clutch out just enought to fell the grab and then drop/ floor it..
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chinto
i beleve they have a launch control i could be wrong tho. read it on evom some where could just be BS tho.
I know they have a rev limit set to 5k but my xede took care of that.. (my friends 05 has the rev limit on his still but he can launch (useing the same method) all day long, no clutch smell and no issues..
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by chinto

NOT bs... in an MR (only MR), put the clutch to the floor, in 1st gear, STOPPED, put the gas to the floor and it will only rev to 5k RPM... let the clutch out till it just engages, hold it there for .5 seconds, and let it all the way out. Boom, gone.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

you might have too much power for this method to work with your stock clutch.. I'm not sure what the power of vishnu stage 1+ but it might be a little too much for your stock clutch to handle.

just my thoughts

<------- still to scared to launch his MR
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fireball
NOT bs... in an MR (only MR), put the clutch to the floor, in 1st gear, STOPPED, put the gas to the floor and it will only rev to 5k RPM... let the clutch out till it just engages, hold it there for .5 seconds, and let it all the way out. Boom, gone.
all 05's have a switch on the clutch pedal that limits to 5k rpm . i launch @ about 4k anyway. all you have to do though is unplug the switch. i think it's the highest plug on the clutch pedal.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
all 05's have a switch on the clutch pedal that limits to 5k rpm . i launch @ about 4k anyway. all you have to do though is unplug the switch. i think it's the highest plug on the clutch pedal.
the xede bypasses that.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO MR
you might have too much power for this method to work with your stock clutch.. I'm not sure what the power of vishnu stage 1+ but it might be a little too much for your stock clutch to handle.

just my thoughts

<------- still to scared to launch his MR

well I did dyno at 292 (dyno dynamic, 345ish dyno jet) b4 my camshaft install. just waiting on new clutch to get here. figure if I toast one better the stock than aftermarket.. but to be honest im to scared now to go try it again.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
I have tried it on a couple '05's and have not seen it function the way the MR's does.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

bring the revs up high 4500-5000 if you can.not sure how the rev limit works on MRs.also slip the clutch. when drag racing an MR,do they have to go into 5th gear on the track like the sti do????
Old Feb 11, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo81
bring the revs up high 4500-5000 if you can.not sure how the rev limit works on MRs.also slip the clutch. when drag racing an MR,do they have to go into 5th gear on the track like the sti do????
I would asume so. because 4th is really short gear.. I dont drag mine jsut thought I would try a launch today.. and got scared