Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

MY EVO vs 03 COBRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just trying to take a bad thread and make it better....
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:29 PM
Account Disabled

man, people always have big ***** when it comes to internet message boards. The same thing when they're behind the wheel of a car. Just quit your yappin' or it'll never end!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AvatarOfWar
The B.S. in this thread is sickening. I've owned a modded '03 Cobra and 2 '03 Evo's (both with more mods than you), and can tell you with equal drivers you are not going to beat the Cobra in a 1/4 race with what you've got. I love it when people bang on RWD car's and say "if they know how to launch, then MAYBE..." - launching an Evo ain't a picnic for newbies either. Both cars require skill.

Why worry about Cobra's anyways? They can't turn or handle adverse weather conditions (you know, the kind you have in REAL life) like an Evo, so screw em. I averaged 10mpg in my Cobra, thanks Ford

If all you want is a highway terror or drag monster, there are better cars to choose from in the same price range as an Evo. I've given up drag racing and am going to start road racing this year; it should be exciting.
FINALLY, an opinion form someone with firsthand knowledge!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Anyway, back on topic. You will have trouble with a Cobra, close from a dig, he will beat you from a roll. With a pulley, exhaust, air intake, x-pipe, and predator tune all of which cost about $1300 bucks a Cobra will run 11's easy. I have seen a guy at Cecil with a bone stock Cobra down to the paper filter run a 12.4. Get some cams and then it will be a race. Oh yeah a Cobra can put down insane amounts of HP on stock internals, something was wrong with your buddies Cobra if he blew it up with only 480 WHP, must have been the tuning.

Shane
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by watchout
Anyway, back on topic. You will have trouble with a Cobra, close from a dig, he will beat you from a roll. With a pulley, exhaust, air intake, x-pipe, and predator tune all of which cost about $1300 bucks a Cobra will run 11's easy. I have seen a guy at Cecil with a bone stock Cobra down to the paper filter run a 12.4. Get some cams and then it will be a race. Oh yeah a Cobra can put down insane amounts of HP on stock internals, something was wrong with your buddies Cobra if he blew it up with only 480 WHP, must have been the tuning.

Shane
I've heard that it's not the motor that's the weak link.

I've heard that the rear ends are prone to grenade with too much HP, true?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

If I am not mistaken don't they put a Ford 9 In. on the Cobra?

Shane
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have not heard of the rear being a problem, in fact alot of guys runs slicks on them with no problem, set of radials on those things makes a bid difference. They are nasty cars in a straight line.

Shane
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

isn't cet_euro the guy with the corvette complex? this kid is something else, lmao. where is darwin when we need him?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cet_euro
ammmm you would not beat it. It's more like Rape it. With those mods you can really fck up a 2004 SVT Cobra..... I have almost the same modds that you have and I absolutelly own them. Now when they tunne their car, then it's kind of even "FROM A ROLL ONLY" off the line you will brutally rape them if you know how to launch....... The problem with Cobras they break down after you modd them. My friend had one and he freaking screwed up the engine the Piston and rods snaped inside the engine. Just crazy....
For the second time, "Your an idiot"
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I hate EVO owners who think that their cars are the quickest things on the road. Yes, our cars are quick, but jesus, its only a 2 liter. I basically have the same mods as the person who started this thread and I wouldnt doubt that a stock cobra with a good driver would pull on me. And you know what, I DONT CARE. We own rally cars. Show some pride.

~fred
Old Feb 11, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're probably putting down 285-290 WHP with those mods and will run high high high 12's at best. That's pretty damn good, but when you're comparing it to a car that stock runs mid 12's...only way you'll beat him in the 1/4 is if he stalls it off the line. Never know, it might happen! And lay off the Chicago trash talk, it's people like you that make these threads an extra 2 pages of bullSh!t.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TMBevo
this is getting real stupid real fast.
yup but fun to read.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greyfox5
yup but fun to read.

same here...I look for the threads with "vs" in the title
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by watchout
I have not heard of the rear being a problem, in fact alot of guys runs slicks on them with no problem, set of radials on those things makes a bid difference. They are nasty cars in a straight line.

Shane

They break halfshafts like we break transfer cases. Both are caused by wheel hop.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mines, introduced me to a friend of his at work that has an 03 Cobra, with cold air intake, exhaust, and no cats.

We were curious to see how our cars would compare against eachother.
So just to see how we would do against eachother, we went to a secluded area and lined up.

Now i'm pushing 332whp and 343lb-ft torque (yes i have 272/272 cam setup)

I'm not gonna lie, i still have to practice my launching as I tended to bog out 3 of the 4 runs we did. (i'm also on a stock clutch)

Once we both launched, regardless of me bogging out, i put 1 car length on him right away, which he closed in by 4th gear he was right on my rear door and we stayed that way until 110mph where he just started walking on me and since my top end is weak he coulda put a few car lengths on me if we kept going.

The one time i did manage to get a perfect launch, i woulda beat him in a "quarter-mile" space, however again after about 110mph, he started walking on me. But the whole time before 110mph i was a full carlength ahead of 'em.

I hope this helps somewhat

Quick Reply: MY EVO vs 03 COBRA