Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wingless evo owners, what plugs to use?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wingless evo owners, what plugs to use?

Hey all, Im thinking of taking off my wing, and will slap it back on when I go track my car. I wanted to find out if anyone know where I could get the plugs for the trunk, like which major chain I could find them and what size I should look for. I want to be prepared when I take it off, so I dont have to run back and forth looking for the right plugs. Hopefully someone here can help me out. I did a search but couldnt find specifics. Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my wing off, but had the holes filled in and then re-sprayed at a body shop after driving it around for a couple of weeks. IIRC, there were 3 holes on one side and 4 on the other side. There are 2 nuts to loosen, one on each side, but there's also two nylon tabs, which when I took it out, lifted up the metal on the trunk. Initially I covered up the holes with white plugs I found at Home Depot in the "hard to find" fastener section and they kind of worked OK, with some modification. The holes are not deep enough for the plugs to fit properly, so you have to cut the plugs and modify it. You could also buy white electical tape and cut it carefully so it does not look too tacky. Be warned, the wing is also glued to the trunk with double sided tape and that is VERY hard to get off. I think there is a link somewhere on how to get the tape/glue off. I used goo-gone which I bought at Target or Wallmart. Hope it helps.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I left mine open. It doesn't look any better with plugs in it. Water goes into the drainage channel and not the trunk so you don't have to worry about that....
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of white electrical tape (white car). Unless I have pointed it out, nobody has ever noticed.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Where does it drain to and are you sure its okay? Im more afraid of rust and stuff, because I enjoy driving my evo in rain and snow. Any tips on how to avoid rust if I use tape or the plugs from home depot? I think Im going to go with the plugs if I can find them at home depot. I dont want to spend the money on buying another trunk and having it repainted. I also want to keep the wing so I wont get the holes filled. Thanks for the replies so far, keep em going please

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
I left mine open. It doesn't look any better with plugs in it. Water goes into the drainage channel and not the trunk so you don't have to worry about that....
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It drains out the back of the bottom part of the trunk. Dude when it rains or you wash your car it all goes there. Open your trunk and look, that's all you have to do. So easy. No rust. It all depends if you care there are open holes visible. I don't since I tried different methods of closure and they all looked cheap and like poop.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i'm doing the wingless look possibly as well, but i'm just gonna order some Apex Silver vinyl to just cover the hole ( same thing as the white electrical tape idea )... works fine on all the wingless cars i have seen
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steveevo8
yeah i'm doing the wingless look possibly as well, but i'm just gonna order some Apex Silver vinyl to just cover the hole ( same thing as the white electrical tape idea )... works fine on all the wingless cars i have seen
Why wait? They make silver, too :

Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your help guys, Im going to take off the wing tomorrow!