Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

has this happened to any evo drivers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldn't worry about it too much, you need a key in the ignition in order to program a new key. you can get a key to open tohe door, but you need an active y to y remote in order to program a new key to your car. your car has a lot better chance of being towed than a key switch. unless you have a 'special' car(show car),, i wouldn't worry.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board.
I did this right after I purchased my EVO, just to be safe. If the immobilizer does it's thing that's great but that doesn't mean some idiot can't get in your car and steal all your s**t. When you're dealing with ****ing thieves, every little bit helps.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 06:26 PM

This topic was covered by Dateline last November I believe.

Around here, people who lose their keys and go to dealerships can't get replacement keys without showing identification and registration. I know for sure because my dad lost his keys and he had to show his drivers license and an old registration to the parts store before they made replacement keys for him.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

the EVO's key pattern is not linked to the VIN number. at least this is what I was told when i went to get another key cut for a 2nd spare. I needed to bring the metal tag that came with the original set to the dealership for them to cut another key.

AND i needed BOTH originals to program the 3rd.

this is the 10th time in the past week that i've seen this exact thread on a car forum. if a real theif wants to steal your car, it will get stolen...while you can go a long way to prevent crime-of-opportunity theives from striking, there is no need to cover your VIN (which, by the way, is illegal in a lot of states including NY) on your EVO since the standard security features protect you fairly well.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
the EVO's key pattern is not linked to the VIN number. at least this is what I was told when i went to get another key cut for a 2nd spare. I needed to bring the metal tag that came with the original set to the dealership for them to cut another key.

AND i needed BOTH originals to program the 3rd.

this is the 10th time in the past week that i've seen this exact thread on a car forum. if a real theif wants to steal your car, it will get stolen...while you can go a long way to prevent crime-of-opportunity theives from striking, there is no need to cover your VIN (which, by the way, is illegal in a lot of states including NY) on your EVO since the standard security features protect you fairly well.
Yeah, they're pretty good on verification before cutting any additional keys, but that still doesn't mean it can't be done. Don't worry about it, though. You should only be worried if you are out there causing reason to be worried.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
besides, if they decide to steal my car?, let them. this is the first car i haven't put an alarm in yet. i didn't even upgrade the stereo- i must be getting old. My new theory is if they want to steal my car, let them. i can always use the insurance money to upgrade to a newer, better ride. BUT, don't just break into my car to steal stuff, take the whole damn car so i can get a new one!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
besides, if they decide to steal my car?, let them. this is the first car i haven't put an alarm in yet. i didn't even upgrade the stereo- i must be getting old. My new theory is if they want to steal my car, let them. i can always use the insurance money to upgrade to a newer, better ride. BUT, don't just break into my car to steal stuff, take the whole damn car so i can get a new one!
hehehehe
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

exactly...i'd feel sad if my EVO got stolen, until i got a brand new one.

here's the info on NY state, if you care

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/prknyc3a.html

"No person shall stand or park a vehicle that has the vehicle identification number obscured in any manner."
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

WERD...I'd be pissed at first, but in the end, it's just a car...I'd get a brand new one!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
thats exactly what i was thinking
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't bother to read all this, but yeah, I'll back up the few posts that say it won't work on the Evo...not only do you have to have the original set of keys, but I'm pretty sure you have to have the actual car too...there's a procedure of how to do it in the manual, once you get the laser cut keys and have the originals
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:21 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/vin.asp

If somebody wants your car badly enough they'll take it. It's that simple. No need to be paranoid about it, just make it as difficult as possible for them to take it.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
This has been covered before .... its also in the owners manual .... you need to program the key with the car first before you can use it ... and for that you need to have a the original set of keys .... so what you are saying won't work on the EVO
What if you lose your oringinal set of keys? Sorry didnt look in the manual if that is covered but, why would you go and have a key cut if you still had your set? Other than just wanting extra key/s. However I think its alittle more complex and the dealership needs your car to do it or the little key code that came with your car.

Last edited by EidolaDream; Feb 14, 2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
It IS illegal, but some of the people working in the parts department of the dealerships are not exactly the swiftest, or most concerned people. Lots of times they do not care if it is your car or not, they just want to cut and sell you the key, and have you be gone. The Jeep dealer here did this for me just off of a VIN# and I was amazed. By contrast, the Chrysler dealer would not cut me the key without proof of ownership and they said they would fire anyone there that broke that rule. For now....I am going to the garage to cover up some VIN numbers on my cars.
looking at your sig, thats alot of black tape
Old Feb 17, 2005, 06:51 PM

Does anybody know what happens if you only have 1 key and no key tag, can you get another key? I bought a used Evo from a car lot and that is the situation I'm in. I'd sure like my car to forget all about that missing key!