Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

has this happened to any evo drivers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has this happened to any evo drivers?

or know of this happening at all?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting story from a member . . . . .. Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah... there's some crooked workers out there that get slipped a $50 and will cut a key for a thief... scumbags... sad day and age we live in... i've heard this before, it's very very true and scarey...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This has been covered before .... its also in the owners manual .... you need to program the key with the car first before you can use it ... and for that you need to have a the original set of keys .... so what you are saying won't work on the EVO
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

for safety cover ur vin # with electrical tape. That's wat I did on my car. Sorry I'm not an evo owner.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

That's why you have an alarm with pager on it installed. At least that way you're not suprised when your car is stolen, you KNOW when they're doing it! :P
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

do you even use your brain? by posting this you just give thousands ppl ideas how to steal our car i dont call ppl names but you deserve it
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks
Old Feb 13, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that it was illegal for dealerships to do this without verifying the ID of the person requesting the key.

Originally Posted by Tureno-AE86
do you even use your brain? by posting this you just give thousands ppl ideas how to steal our car i dont call ppl names but you deserve it
I think anyone who saw the movie "gone in 60 seconds" knows this can be done, not to mention word of mouth amidst thieves. I don't think anyone spilled a huge can of beans here...
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a brain? If this is something that is new to you that's one thing, but it's not new. Besides, the media aren't the innovators, they are the reporters of what is already happening. A crook isn't learning by us realizing what they have already been doing.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
I was under the impression that it was illegal for dealerships to do this without verifying the ID of the person requesting the key.

I think anyone who saw the movie "gone in 60 seconds" knows this can be done, not to mention word of mouth amidst thieves. I don't think anyone spilled a huge can of beans here...

It IS illegal, but some of the people working in the parts department of the dealerships are not exactly the swiftest, or most concerned people. Lots of times they do not care if it is your car or not, they just want to cut and sell you the key, and have you be gone. The Jeep dealer here did this for me just off of a VIN# and I was amazed. By contrast, the Chrysler dealer would not cut me the key without proof of ownership and they said they would fire anyone there that broke that rule. For now....I am going to the garage to cover up some VIN numbers on my cars.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
Interesting story from a member . . . . .. Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted. The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle. You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.
thanks for getting me all paranoid now. i just reversed my car into my garage, for the FIRST TIME EVER. Great timing!!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Dought that anyone who doesnt know it by now is going to do it cause of this post. If anything this post will make crooked car dealers aware that people know whats going on and to stop, and also make car owners more aware to avoid such a thing.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:10 PM

i would not worry too much about it if you have engine immobilizer, you know keys w/coded chips inside that compares codes stored in ecu before it fires the injectors, other wise it'll just keep cranking but no start. you will need previously stored key codes before it even lets the new key code to register...hope this gives you peace of mind...

Last edited by lexxtek; Feb 13, 2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 05:16 PM

which our evos has....