Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the VIII the Last Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the VIII the Last Evo?

I'm looking at the UK Mitsu site and it says that the VIII is the Final Incarnation. Is it over?

UK Mitsu Website
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the last Lancer Evolution, but I doubt it'll be the last Evolution. I think the name's got such a reputation that it'll carry over to whatever car they decide to evolve.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:09 PM

I agree that will mkost likely start offering some of their other cars with Evolution like up grades, But I hope this isn't that last Lancer Evo. I think that would be stupid on part. I mean they bring the car here for one year and then discontinue production. The demand is there, and will be there for years to come, if they don't keep cutting us short of the J-Specs
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:34 PM

I can't believe this thread isn't getting more feedback. Does anyone know if this is the last Evo. It would be nice to know one way or the other
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:36 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's been discussed a few times before. It may or may not pick up depending upon how much regurgitation there is.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by HobieKopek
depending upon how much regurgitation there is.
regurgitation????
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Restating of the same opinions and facts. Regurgitation.

EDIT: You know...like cows regurgitate their food in the form of cud. Yum.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Jan 13, 2003 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:46 PM

oh, thought your were referring to the regurgitation of sales or something, which yeh doesn't make any sense. Do ya think they will come out with just an Evolution (no lancer). I will be p*ssed if this end. We get left with the begining of the end
Old Jan 13, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, from the perspective of someone buying the car, it would be better if this was the end... No next year's car to speed up depreciation.

This is pure speculation, but I bet we see at least two model years of Lancer Evolution (2003, 2004) with a great possibility of more (2005+). I bet we see a $32k - $35k Lancer Evolution next model year (possibly a Ralliart edition) to counter the STi directly.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

It's the last Lancer Evolution that's made as a WRC entrant. It may continue to exist for quite a while, but development at Ralliart has switched over to the Colt platform.

The Lancer Evolution most likely will continue to be developed as a high-performance road car with MMC calling the shots instead of Ralliart.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:54 AM

I think they might stop producing the car in other places but not in America because i heard they refer to the evo 8 as just plain Evolution. Its like starting fresh again with the numbers again.. i mean i think a Evo XII is getting alittle outta hand...
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

The rumor here is....that will continue till EVO X but will not be in the WRC...replaced by the COLT chasis-based vehicle. I can see the EVO fading much like the Galants of old.... what shame if this turns out to be true
Old Jan 14, 2003, 08:00 AM

The EVO 6 was the last true EVO. Every version sence then has not been designed for competition in the WRC. Instead they are designing them for the consumer. When Mitsu switched from class-A to class-WRC the racecar no longer needed to be built off a production car. So they started redesigning the car for maximum profit at the dealership not maximum performance in competition.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 09:22 AM

True mary but that doesn't mean the evo has gotten any worse because of it. I've had a six and a seven and it is safe to say the seven was a considerable improvement in terms of both performance and comfort. People had gripes about the looks of the seven which is all down to personal taste but you can't argue it's a worse car. Nice pic by the way!