Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone unhappy with their Evo's low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTMS4
I'm contemplating buying the evo 9 when it's released, but i'm reluctant to get rid of my S4 (B5 twin turbo).

With a simple ecu upgrade and a tbe, you can bump the output to around 320 hp/370 lb/ft torque.....and most of that torque is available from around 2000 rpm.....it doesn't have any perceptable lag in any gear unless you're lugging from 2000 rpm in 6th. The S4 is heavier than the Evo (3590 lb curb weight) but it's power-to-weight ratio once chipped is pretty impressive. However it certainly doesn't have the handling prowess of the Evo out-the-box.....but it does have a whole host of luxury features (which may, or may not, interest you).
No doubt that your B5 is going to feel like 2 evos at once.

Once the IX comes out, go for a drive, then make your decision. No one can possibly explain to you (or anyone) what it's really like and take your point-of-view into account.

I'm sure you will love it, but you'll have to sacrafice some luxury items as well as some always-available torque.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:05 PM

I actually test drove a 2001 S4 6-speed

That car had NO turbo lag at all. I don't remember ever feeling the turbos kick in. It was easy to drive smooth during the test drive. My WRX wasn't so easy to drive quick AND smooth at the same time.

The S4 can go to 312 hp and 382 ft-lb with a $600 APR chip only. That's not too shabby. I can get a used S4 for about $4000 less than an Evo. I just won't have nearly as much fun at the track with an S4, but it would probably be a better daily driver.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have owned a MR2 Turbo, APR Stage 3 GTI, and the EVO is by far the least laggy of the bunch stock. And I have driven a regular WRX and know what you are talking about. The EVO's midrange is much better than the WRX.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo13
I have owned a MR2 Turbo, APR Stage 3 GTI, and the EVO is by far the least laggy of the bunch stock. And I have driven a regular WRX and know what you are talking about. The EVO's midrange is much better than the WRX.
I agree with this also, the WRX doesn't have the punch-through that the Evo does.

I have not, however, driven an STi so I cannot compare the two.

(insert standardized slighting of STi here by someone other than myself)
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice......I think it's time for a change. I've had the S4 for over 4 years and I fancy something different. It's definitely down to the Evo or STi
Old Feb 14, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MTMS4
I'm contemplating buying the evo 9 when it's released, but i'm reluctant to get rid of my S4 (B5 twin turbo).

With a simple ecu upgrade and a tbe, you can bump the output to around 320 hp/370 lb/ft torque.....and most of that torque is available from around 2000 rpm.....it doesn't have any perceptable lag in any gear unless you're lugging from 2000 rpm in 6th. The S4 is heavier than the Evo (3590 lb curb weight) but it's power-to-weight ratio once chipped is pretty impressive. However it certainly doesn't have the handling prowess of the Evo out-the-box.....but it does have a whole host of luxury features (which may, or may not, interest you).
There are a few S4 owners here who have switched over or added Evos to their collection. They'll all pretty much say the S4 is the better daily driver, but the Evo is the better car for the track. In other words Evo=more fun.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
remember guys, we are only working with 2.0 liters here... Small motors typically have no torque or low end power. I think the motor is unbelievable when we remember what it is
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatup,

The EVO REALLY shines in the handling/fun to drive category though. More often, people complain about the stock EVO "top-end". The gearing is very short, so low-end TQ isn't too much of a problem. The midrange is pretty sweet, and with minimal mods it becomes a moderate beast...

I've driven 2.7 T Audis and a bone stock STI. The STI has more grunt than the EVO, and feels like a bigger motor, but I still prefer the EVO. On paper, I would have definitely thought I would have wanted the STi, but drive both and make your decision. I was really considering a B5 S4, I had a B5 A4 chipped with exhaust. I do miss the German feel and overall amenities, but the EVO is just much more fun, and still practical as a daily driver. I drive my daughter to day care every day.

Take care,

FB
Old Feb 14, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

No complaints, I love everything about it !
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

if you want great torque from the evo before boost, i hear the 264i/264e cam combo is killer. I myself went with the 264i/272e for that "best of both worlds" kind of deal. I have yet to install them, but ive driven my friend's evo with that combination. The power down low is great and the transition around 3k from all motor to max boost is much more seamless. Also get a turboback exhaust, you'll gets'ta spoolin faster. However, don't get my wrong i love my evo!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Hell yeah B5 S4, were actually getting one to complement the Evo. I love those cars and actually the fastest car I've been in was an S4 AVANT (station wagon)!! Thing smoked ferraris, it was hilarious! Big for B5 S4
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

i hate my low end. sucks for trying to save gas. driving in vaccuum and trying to keep the revs low sucks. awd eats up the gas either way.

but everyone is right. everything after 3k is awesome, breaks tires loose and G force!

Last edited by Bom's Evo; Feb 14, 2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kyperion
turbo cars are naturally weaker in the lower rev range. Thankfully when autocrossing or driving hard, the gearbox on the evo has close enough ratios that you do not need to be out of the power band.
Compared to what? Ever drive an S2000 or Toyota Celica GTS? You'll love your turbo compared to these 4-bangers that don't come alive till 6500. Compared to a V8, the turbo Evo is a little slower to get moving, but hold on after 3500RPM. I think a WRX also feels boring compared to an Evo.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jason_w_carter
I was wondering if any of you who own Evo's are a little unhappy or only somewhat satisfied with your torque in the low rpm range. I am about to buy a used car. The cars I'm considering are: Evo, STi, Audi S4 (not the V8), 2004 GTO. The only turbo I've ever had was a 2003 WRX. It was weak below 3000 rpm. I was grinning after that though.
Somebody is always gonna be unhappy with something. I think the EVO has lots of low end torque when compared with many cars. OTOH, with a small displacement engine and a turbo, it's gonna be weaker than other cars with bigger engines. Personallly I think it's very fast and powerful from practically any speed
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I heard that after they increased the displacement to 2.2L the S2000 wasn't too peaky, but yea, whitet has a point.

Quick Reply: Anyone unhappy with their Evo's low end torque?