Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone unhappy with their Evo's low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question it doesnt seem anyon has asked...did you do ANY mods to the WRX at all? My Evo had turbo lag (not as bad as a WRX, yeah, but still bad, as all turbos are) and I got a TBE and blam, I have at lest half the turbo lag...5th gear is actually enjoyable and can actually accelerate me now on the freeway....
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
I heard that after they increased the displacement to 2.2L the S2000 wasn't too peaky, but yea, whitet has a point.
Yeah, well HP isn't what gets the car off the line either. Even the 2.2L S2000 only has like 162 ft-lbs of torque. Woopdee doo.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Torque isnt all that gets it off the line either, my feets dont have that much torque, and I can book it off of "the line" faster than an Evo, for a fraction of a second...weight's an issue too, so don't leave that out...but the S2k does need serious help in torque...a good engine from Alaniz Tech fixes that fast add a SC, and then you have one helluva car
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Torque isnt all that gets it off the line either, my feets dont have that much torque, and I can book it off of "the line" faster than an Evo, for a fraction of a second...weight's an issue too, so don't leave that out...but the S2k does need serious help in torque...a good engine from Alaniz Tech fixes that fast add a SC, and then you have one helluva car
Yeah for another $10-$20K over a $33k car. Why not just buy an Evo? Can you tell I am biased
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'm biased too, but driving both...well hey, the S2k isn't my money!!!! So there's my verdict, I like playing with both cars, a 2 seater roadster all race prepared is really fun, but so is a big boxy 4 door sedan that can stomp the 2 seater roadster with a few mods
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

S2K is an awesome track car.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Anyway...sorry, I helped get this off topic, I'm still saying get the Evo, and put a bit of mods into it, it'll have enough low end to put it up in the high end the few times you need it to push it up to the high end (it's up there a lot anyway, like a lot of people have said)
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

a JUN 2.2L stroker will easily remedy this problem.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I don't want to get on an S2K tangent here. I was mearly trying to point out similar sized engine sports cars that have very little low end torque. Acura RSX, Toyota Celica GTS, Lotus Elise, Acura ITR, S2K to name a few. Feel proud we have a turbo to help with the low end. Otherwise, we'd be sitting above 6K RPM's all day.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

How much is the Jun stroker and the avg. install? Just trying to make a point...I think a few MUCH cheaper mods will do a good enough job
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
How much is the Jun stroker and the avg. install? Just trying to make a point...I think a few MUCH cheaper mods will do a good enough job
lol, of course.

for some more torque, the price you'd spend on this kit is simply overkill.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

I love my EVO i will never sell it. First off i already got my high revving engine fully built and im working on my torque engine right now. Also the 03 Evo GSR's are going to be worth money someday since they were the first to be in the US. Specially with the talk of possibly there only being 2 to 3 generations before they are done with in the US. Agian just a rumor but it makes sense in some areas. Anyway with the stock setup i was very pleased. Then with the new setup you just cant explain it. Once it kicks in its like getting hit by a Mach Truck! Its just somthing about being able to smoke all 4 tires while shifting into 2nd. Or maybe its being able to smoke Viper's with only 1/3 of the cylinders? At any rate the EVO is the best car i have ever owned. The only thing i can see that possibly will top it is the Skyline when it comes out.

Chris
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I come off as an @$$ too much...didn't mean to, I'm just saying, just the TBE was enough for me...I can't imagine an intake and a tune ...and that's what like ~2000 dollars, maybe even less...and it also adds a bunch top end too. The stroker kits are cool and all, there's one on the S2k I keep talking about that actually is a 2.2 stroker...but still...you get my point
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

nah, it's alright. it's all in good conversation.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

In all honesty, I'd love a stroker kit...once and IF I get that far in mods...outside first, then inside...that's my motto...and get a freakin Evo end of discussion, it'll blow your old WRX away

Quick Reply: Anyone unhappy with their Evo's low end torque?