Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone unhappy with their Evo's low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had my V8 low-end grunt with my Camaro... it was cool to have that instant torque... but, missed something... namely handling...

i had my High-revver... 2000 Celica GT-S... it was cool to hear the "big-cam" come on at 6000rpms... and had a neat lil' surge... the car handled ok, but didn't have anything downlow nor the upper-middle range of the tach...

got my Evo... grunt everywhere you'd want it in a fatty power-band... the turbo-spool is one of the most exhilirating feelings you'll ever have in a car... yes, it's on rails with handling...

but, thee biggest grin you'll ever get is being able to put that power down through a sweeping turn, full throttle, full G..... pure exctasy...
Old Feb 14, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jason_w_carter
I was wondering if any of you who own Evo's are a little unhappy or only somewhat satisfied with your torque in the low rpm range. I am about to buy a used car. The cars I'm considering are: Evo, STi, Audi S4 (not the V8), 2004 GTO. The only turbo I've ever had was a 2003 WRX. It was weak below 3000 rpm. I was grinning after that though.
I can prolly answer youre question fairly well. I went from driving a 4.6L mustang GT with an occasional drive in an LT1 vette to my evo.

I would say the lack of low end power is a tad annoying at some times, only because I am used to driving with larger engines. Once you adjust youre driving style slightly you will not give it two thoughts.

The S4 drives like a much larger disp engine. My buddy has a GIAC (or something like that) chipped S4 putting out around 320 fwhp. The turbos are so small they boost almost instantaneously. Nice car, but definitely not as fun as an evo.

Just drive them and see what you think. I would say evo or STI are prolly the most fun to drive of the bunch, if thats what youre looking for. If youre looking for a nice daily driver with occasional spirited driving, id say S4. And if youre into raw power with some decent amenities, check out the gto.

Last edited by Mercenary3; Feb 14, 2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:11 PM

Nice, I will be ordering my GSR soon. Can't wait!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 07:00 AM

No. I didn't mod the WRX.

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
I have a question it doesnt seem anyon has asked...did you do ANY mods to the WRX at all? My Evo had turbo lag (not as bad as a WRX, yeah, but still bad, as all turbos are) and I got a TBE and blam, I have at lest half the turbo lag...5th gear is actually enjoyable and can actually accelerate me now on the freeway....
I was really considering going with the Cobb ECU reflash and stock looking, two tip turbo-back exhaust with the WRX. I would have gotten that combo if I was a little wiser. Here's why I didn't do it.

I launched hard and often with the WRX. I couldn't help it. It was just too damned fun. During all the launches, I KILLED my clutch. That was at about 20,000 miles. I knew I'd do it again, and that'd be $1000 out of my pocket. That was nothing compared to how much I lost trading it in on what I have now. I'm almost embarrased to say, but I tried going with a conservative 2004 Accord EX V6. It's respectable in straight-line acceleration, but I just can't have fun with that car. It's really nice, but it's just not fun.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the clutch will get eaten on the Evo launching it hard too, but I'm serious in saying just my turboback and catdelete seem to have done enough to keep me smiling...sure the microsecond that it's down low in first when I start going sucks, but after that...even if I'm low in second but still moving, like after turning, it starts hauling pretty fast right after.

But of your cars the one that'll launch the best and haul pretty much anywhere is the GTO...as long as weather's not an issue, and you still like the looks of the GTO, then I say go for that one, or get an Evo and mod it a little bit (yeah, have fun trying to just mod an Evo a little bit...)
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:35 AM

to 2 guys... Vroompsh and UT_Evo

Vroompsh... I just did a little reading on the cams and from my EXTENSIVE knowledge on the subject, I'd probably go 264/264. I saw some HKS's for $335. Anyway... about how much did your friend's spoolup rpm's drop with his new cams?

UT_Evo.....How much did your spoolup rpm drop with your turbo-back exhaust? It looks like a stock Evo will start to get boost at about 2500 rpm and be boosting hard by 3000 rpm. Did the TBE drop either or both of those number, and how much? Did you get an ECU reflash at the same time?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason_w_carter
I was wondering if any of you who own Evo's are a little unhappy or only somewhat satisfied with your torque in the low rpm range. I am about to buy a used car. The cars I'm considering are: Evo, STi, Audi S4 (not the V8), 2004 GTO. The only turbo I've ever had was a 2003 WRX. It was weak below 3000 rpm. I was grinning after that though.
you didnt state that your evo is modded but if you care so much about off-boast torque, i would get the stroker kit or i would not install a 3 inch exhaust, as your loosing alil bit of low end torque for alot of gain at top end....
Old Feb 15, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I asked the dentist to give me a 25 shot, he looked at me like I was retarded.
i started to lol at work