Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Helix Stainless 02 Housing Turbo Outlet -- Easy or a pain to install???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helix Stainless 02 Housing Turbo Outlet -- Easy or a pain to install???

All right guys, I have a delima.....

I have a buddy that will hook me up with a new Helix O2 turbo housing, but I am under the gun for time. I work like a slave (60+hrs/week) and I am pretty sure I am going to Ohio for a custom flash by big Al and Dave Buschur on Sat.

Here is the deal...I am willing to give up some sleep to swap my cat for a Helix High Flow (it comes tomorrow and takes 20min to do), but can I swap out the O2 housing fast too???

Is this a simple install or a real pain in the ****??? I will have the downpipe, cat and catback off anyway, but with 20k on the odo, I think the heat cycling of the stock bolts on the stock O2 housing are going to be a beotch. I am afraid of breaking a bolt and missing my opportunity to get the flash from some of the best guys in the biz.

Advice, tips, suggestions, P L E A S E !
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

well depends on how comfortable you are with installing things on your car, i don't see it being that hard, many say they take out the manifold and such, but i am sure you can get it on there by taking off the dp and just reaching up and around... i believe there is an install on here, SOOOO good luck.. but in my opinion i dont' think it will be that hard
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have done ALL the mods on my car without a shop....I have plenty of tools, I am just concerned of the time factor and the risk factor....
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

times always a factor, but just make sure you set aside a good 2-3 hour time period i'm sure you can get it done then. dont' rush cause thats when it takes 2x more then what it should be... i believe you can def take it off wtihout removing the manifold and ****, i looked up there when changing my oil cause i plan to do that mod in the summer... Good luck keep us posted
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:43 PM

Dude I just finish installing my helix down pipe and turbo outlet housing. The DP was easy the outlet housing a big pain in the ***. It will easily take you a couple of hours to do it all. My 2 cents.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blueevo12
Dude I just finish installing my helix down pipe and turbo outlet housing. The DP was easy the outlet housing a big pain in the ***. It will easily take you a couple of hours to do it all. My 2 cents.
How many miles on your EVO?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
How many miles on your EVO?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hear it's a two hour install, easier if you remove the radiator and turbo, and the main thing is to soak the bolts with wd-40
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
i hear it's a two hour install, easier if you remove the radiator and turbo, and the main thing is to soak the bolts with wd-40
Yeah that might be true but its going to be more than 2 hours easy. It took me at least 20 minutes just to take the plastic bottom cover without breaking any of the plugs.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

I can do without the sleep, so time is only part of the problem.

What works for a safe install (ie brackets, heat shields) what needs to be removed and/or kept?

I don't think I will be doing this mod right now if I have to take off the manifold, turbo, radiator, or anything else major.

I am hoping that it can be done in a reasonable amount of time (2-4hrs) with minimal chance for damage to the car. Remember, the car has to make a road trip to Buschur Racing in OH for a Sat appointment with big Al and Dave......
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:24 PM

I can do without the sleep, so time is only part of the problem.

What works for a safe install (ie brackets, heat shields) what needs to be removed and/or kept?

I don't think I will be doing this mod right now if I have to take off the manifold, turbo, radiator, or anything else major.

I am hoping that it can be done in a reasonable amount of time (2-4hrs) with minimal chance for damage to the car. Remember, the car has to make a road trip to Buschur Racing in OH for a Sat appointment with big Al and Dave......
Well the original heat shield to the outlet is gone when the new 02 housing goes in and thats really all but the problems lies with two bolts or lug nuts actually. The first one that is going to give you the problem is the one closest to the engine block. You really cant see it from the top of the car only from the bottom. To get that one nut off you are going to need a long extension, a size 14mm short socket, a knuckle, and a socket wrench.

The biggest pain in the *** one is the bottom nut right underneath the bend from the tubing. I had to customize the square head of a open wrench to make it work because with the radiator in the way you dont have much room to work with. But the good thing is once you loosen those two nuts its smooth sailling after that. Just put everything back together.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blueevo12
Well the original heat shield to the outlet is gone when the new 02 housing goes in and thats really all but the problems lies with two bolts or lug nuts actually. The first one that is going to give you the problem is the one closest to the engine block. You really cant see it from the top of the car only from the bottom. To get that one nut off you are going to need a long extension, a size 14mm short socket, a knuckle, and a socket wrench.

The biggest pain in the *** one is the bottom nut right underneath the bend from the tubing. I had to customize the square head of a open wrench to make it work because with the radiator in the way you dont have much room to work with. But the good thing is once you loosen those two nuts its smooth sailling after that. Just put everything back together.
I am feelin it. Looks like it's gonna happen, then.

Thanks for your posts...if you think of anything else, please post away.

I am gonna do the install Friday night, 12 hours before I have to be in Ohio...
Old Feb 14, 2005, 08:39 PM

I am feelin it. Looks like it's gonna happen, then.

Thanks for your posts...if you think of anything else, please post away.

I am gonna do the install Friday night, 12 hours before I have to be in Ohio...
Bro to help you out even more if you can go to sears and pick up the craftman open end wrench with flex socket square end you will cut mad time down. But once you get it in the car is going to have some nice pull and sound even nicer.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like fun! Good luck!

I still wanna check out your car. You're in the sterling heights area right?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I installed mine without taking the turbo or the radiator out... but I would suggest taking the radiator out cause I jacked mine all up trying to get the damn heatshield out. Install should be around 1-2 hours like everyone said. just make sure you clean the treads before reinstalling the bolts and go slowly. I cross threaded mine and had to cut washers and put them around the bolt and tighten as hard as I could with out snapping the bolt just so I could get it to seal around my turbo