Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

DIY exterior/interior fabrication questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY exterior/interior fabrication questions

i posted this in 'evo show/shine', but i thought i'd post it here too...

i've done some research, but didn't really find anything that applies.

all i want to know is if i should attempt these myself, or pay to have someone do it:

1) i haven't decided to do this yet, but i want to know what i would have to do if i wanted to cover up the 'slits' in the front bumber between the intercooler opening and the . do i just fill them in w/bondo? could fiberglass work for this?

2)this too is just an idea - i'd like to take out the ashtray and put in a panal that would hold an iPod upright. how could i fabricate a panel like that? (i would probably make a couple of other changes in my interior just like this one, but this one was the best example) i'd want it to be basicly the same color as the rest of that piece (the gray piece around the ashtray/lighter/shifter) and i wouldn't want it to look 'ghetto' (i.e. wrong size, one side not made straight, etc.).

my example for this is the craig hardy panel - it looks like it's OEM - it's tight. how easy would it be to make something that looks roughly like it was meant to be in the car to begin with? how could i do that?

thanks in advance for any help!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Block off behind the bumper those holes and then use fiberglass to make the first layer than bondo to sand and finish the job.

As for the ipod thing, fiberglass/bondo again will work for this.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

where can i get fiberglass stuff and how does it work? (does it mix like a gel then i pour it in and let it set or what) and do they just sell bondo at any car parts place?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

autozone or any place like that. Fiberglass you put a matt down then mix a reson and brush it on

bondo you mix a hardener, put it on with like a putty knife and smooth it out, then sand it down
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

so you're saying put down 1 strip of fiberglass at the back of the hole and then bondo in the hole?

how well will bondo hold up (over time, being bumped, in really hot/cold weather, ect)?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

My suggestion would be NOT to tackle something like this yourself if you are not experienced with doing that. For one, you're working on a beautiful, stylish car and second, I can only assume you're going to have a quality paint job laid down afterwards. I would recommend body filling like that to the pros that do it every day. Finish work is what will cost the most out of the whole process, so why not have the shop do the set up of the glass too?!

No offense, seriously, but you wouldn't want to realize half way through that it wasn't coming out the way you hoped and have a funked-up bumper on a nice a$$ car!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

it won't hold up... one bump, and it's cracked, be it by bumping into another object, or bottoming out the nose... when it'd flex, it'd crack... live in extreme weather, it can crack... blending in a fiberglass/bondo piece to a urethane bumper is hard to keep in good shape... as far as the iPOD, yep... you can fiberglass that as well... or make a plate out of a small aluminum sheet with a dremel... i'm going to get rid of my ash try since i don't use it, to put in my push-button start... hehe... it's one of those stupid things that makes you grin everytime you use it... hehe...
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cash Money
it won't hold up... one bump, and it's cracked, be it by bumping into another object, or bottoming out the nose... when it'd flex, it'd crack... live in extreme weather, it can crack... blending in a fiberglass/bondo piece to a urethane bumper is hard to keep in good shape... as far as the iPOD, yep... you can fiberglass that as well... or make a plate out of a small aluminum sheet with a dremel... i'm going to get rid of my ash try since i don't use it, to put in my push-button start... hehe... it's one of those stupid things that makes you grin everytime you use it... hehe...
1) is there anything i can use besides bondo to get the same outcome?

2) in fabricating the ashtray cover plate, would i make one with metal or something to use as a mold for the fiberglass? or would i make one that i would then cover in fiberglass?

and then what...paint the fiberglass to try and match the console's color?

thanks for everyone's input so-far - i really appreciate it.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wild01ride
My suggestion would be NOT to tackle something like this yourself if you are not experienced with doing that. For one, you're working on a beautiful, stylish car and second, I can only assume you're going to have a quality paint job laid down afterwards. I would recommend body filling like that to the pros that do it every day. Finish work is what will cost the most out of the whole process, so why not have the shop do the set up of the glass too?!

No offense, seriously, but you wouldn't want to realize half way through that it wasn't coming out the way you hoped and have a funked-up bumper on a nice a$$ car!
how much should something like this cost? i just don't want to call up a shop without knowing what kind of an estimate i should expect (wouldn't want to get screwed).

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

also...

can you sand fiberglass?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolute
also...

can you sand fiberglass?