Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

is the EVO cheap?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jonasan50
The only thing that I'm concerned about with the thinned glass is excessive road noise... That's always a bummer...
I believe that most people will actually find out how well/bad their stereo will perform in this car, because you will need to turn the volume up past RMS power to hear it.
Expect a little more road noise than if you were driving a Harley.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:03 PM

"In 9 out of 10 fatal accidents, the driver of the heavier vehicle survives."

I can't recall my source, but that figure has stuck in my head since the day I heard it. It's pretty scary... all those SUV's will kill you. This is supported by the physics of inelastic collisions.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:13 PM
Ren

I think that the Evo will be just as safe as most cars in its class. It won't be any better or any worst but I think with the better brakes, engine, etc you have a better change to avoid a accident than most.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
Expect a little more road noise than if you were driving a Harley.
Haha... no. Living in the birthplace of Harley, I can tell you nothing is louder than one going by you w/ full throttle.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Its safer then most of the other cars on the road for the following reasons. Braking is awesome. Handling? I belive I read a .96G (same as porsche 911 turbo). AWD? Makes it much more difficult to lose traction while on the gas in bad weather. If you do have the misfortune (or stupidity), and find yourself in an accident then theres always the seatbelt and airbags to save you.

My 2 cents
Old Jan 16, 2003, 02:12 AM

"In 9 out of 10 fatal accidents, the driver of the heavier vehicle survives."

This is old and inaccurate data. Single car accidents are a major source of fatalities and SUV's are statistically MORE dangerous than most modern sedans in collisions. You are, however, at least on the right page in worrying about vehicle safety before worrying about crashing in an airplane or catching hantavirus, etc. It seems that most people will strap their kids in the car and drive like angry demons (I spent most of my driving life in Phoenix) but wouldn't dream of letting them ride their bikes without a helmet. Driving is, for most of us, the most life threatening thing we do...but trust me, the cars today are amazing and the fatal accidents are really a rare exception.

I'll have to go look up the data again if you are all really interested in the injury/fatality profiles.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 02:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fireball

Haha... no. Living in the birthplace of Harley, I can tell you nothing is louder than one going by you w/ full throttle.
Well.. in pure noise, maybe not. But quality of noise is just as important, which is why people can live with Harley's or V8's that breathe rather well.

The NVH on the Evo is quite high, and if you aren't sure if you can live with it, you better test drive. There's not much you can do about it, and it's something that will be with you at all times.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by shirokuma

The NVH on the Evo is quite high, and if you aren't sure if you can live with it, you better test drive. There's not much you can do about it, and it's something that will be with you at all times.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Is it worse than the inside of an Integra Type R, which is another car known to be very loud and hard to live with in daily life?

SC~ who wasn't even almost bothered by the noise
Old Jan 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
The only thing that I'm concerned about with the thinned glass is excessive road noise... That's always a bummer...
You could always remove the interior panels and slap some Dynamat in there... That'll help isolate the road noise.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
but from a technical standpoint, you have no ability whatsoever to judge the safety of a vehicle from looking at it ....

True... many might think that the new Mini is unsafe being small
and all....

check this out...
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...d&pagenumber=1

This couple flipped over the mini and slide on the side for 5
seconds... both walked away unharmed...

Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Fireball
All cars are based on a RISE chassis technology for protection. It's their way of basically having a very safe car due to an impact. The Evo is also a RISE chassis, with many crumple points and a stiffened body rigidy built into it. I'd say that'd make it just as safe as most other cars on the road, if not more.
Not all, just the newer designs. The Diamante and the Montero Sport don't have it. As a matter of fact, don't think Volvo has a patent on safety technology, they just purchased the rights to use RISE on their own cars. Imagine that.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp

Is it worse than the inside of an Integra Type R, which is another car known to be very loud and hard to live with in daily life?
Yes, a bit. Not a lot worse, but a bit more noisy.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen
Old Jan 16, 2003, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Max Rebo
You could always remove the interior panels and slap some Dynamat in there... That'll help isolate the road noise.
It sure helps keep stereo noise inside a vehicle. One would think that it would work in reverse rather well.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This guy flipped his OZ once (end over end) and rolled it three times and walked away smooth. Kids, don't try this at home:
Attached Thumbnails is the EVO cheap?-crashlan2.jpg  
Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:08 PM

All cars are safe or not safe....

By this I mean because of new crash test standards all cars can withstand 5MPH bumps and small accidents... They're also chunky as hell...

All cars are not safe because if you crash @ high speeds, good luck. you could say the EVO is not safe becauuse it's more likely to be crashing @ high speeds...I'd say "You're not [a] safe [driver]"

Quick Reply: is the EVO cheap?