Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In need of advice on buying a used EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of advice on buying a used EVO.

I don't think I can stand it any more. I practically losing sleep at night because I simply have to have this car. I almost bought a new one a couple of months ago, but I have so much negative equity in my Eclipse that the payment would have been intolerable. So I'm thinking that I could buy a used one and just keep it to drive ocassionally. I have a hefty equity line of credit that I could tap at a very good interest rate. So..., I've looked at Ebay regularly for the last few months. I don't want to get burned, but it seems as though I'd get the best deal this way. I have read the thread concerning the guy that got a lemon from Ebay, but I would buy the car only if I could drive it first and inspect it. Dealerships want new car prices for used cars. So buying private party seems the way to go. So my question is this: What should I look for? I have virtually no knowledge about mods. I must say that the more modded a car is, the more reticent I am to buy it. Lots of mods = lots of hard driving = drastically shortened lifespan. So is stock the way to go? Or does the fact that an Evo is modded indicate a higher level of ownership responsibility and a more well-taken care of car? Anyway, if anyone could throw me a bone, I'd appreciate it. I'm convinced that I will not be a complete person until I own this vehicle, but I have no wish to get screwed.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just trade in your Eclipse and pay the negative equity. Also, spend a little more and buy a new one. The difference in price is not worth the possible headache in the future. It does not make sense to trip over dollars to save pennies.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All this "Don't buy a used evo!" stuff makes me wonder if im gonna be able to sell my car when the time comes to get something new...

Personally, I don't like ebay. IMO, Ebay is for beer posters not cars. A lot of junk goes on there.

I would look on a reputable used car website. I used autotrader to sell my old mustang and it was great. There is also cars.com, autobytel.com, etc.

Buy a car in your area that you can drive. Make sure you trust the owner. If he modded the car at all, make sure he is up front about it. I would shy away from heavy modding, but I can't see a problem with basic stage 1 and 2 stuff if the car runs OK.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

I bought my Evo on Autotrader in July of 2004 from a small dealer in NC, the car had 8000 miles on it. I had the dealer take it to a Mits dealer in the area and had them run a check on the car cost me $75.00, I also had the Mits dealer in my area and Mits corporate run a VIN check for any warranty work. Then I did a carfax on the VIN myself, everything checked out and I bought the car. I drove it back to UT, so far no problems at 17000. BTW the drive back was awesome.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you all for the advice! I'll shy away from Ebay for now and check out the other sources.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Be careful. Look for any signs of modifications. If the car has been modded, and especially, driven on a racetrack, I wouldn't touch it. What you need is a used EVO that was driven by a little old lady only to church on Sundays. LMFAO.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

dont do it ! use all your extra money and pay up the eclipse. then trade it in and get the new evo 9 !

i know 7-9 months is a wait , but you will get a sweet brand new evo 9!

dont get used!!

just keep thinking of the 9 !
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

This would be hard to do. The only folks who buy Evos are those who are going to drive them hard. Maybe new is the only way to go. I will take a HUGE loss on my Eclipse. F***! Oh well...
Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

The value on your 3g will drop line a rock when the 4g comes out this summer so decide fast before that gap gets too wide to bridge. The Evo is night and day a better car... I only miss the rear seat heater vents and better sound system from my 3g.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

By a used one off somone on this forum... Read all thier old posts to see if they had any problems. You will get the best price anywhere and theirs less risk of getting burned then buying one off ebay. Have someone on the forum check the car out for you that lives in the area. Or fly in and check it out yourself, a few hundred bucks for a plane ticket is worth seeing the car 1st hand.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
If the car has been modded, and especially, driven on a racetrack, I wouldn't touch it.
I agree that a heavily modded car isn't a great idea, especially since so many people on this board do things that are a little risky. You don't want a car that someone has modified in a half-assed way. I would also avoid a car that's been drag raced or street raced: all those standing starts are very hard on the drivetrain.

However, I would disagree that you don't want a car that's been on a racetrack. In my experience, guys who track their cars take VERY good care of them and are **** about maintenance. Further, these guys know how to drive You'll never see a track junkie doing donuts or hard launches.

Personally, I would rather buy a car that was owned and driven by, say, a BMW CCA instructor rather than your typical Evo that's been abused by some 18 y.o kid who doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Emre
Old Feb 20, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

I looked for an evo for about a month and half. I couldnt afford new so I was looking used. Found one through autotrader, went up to take a look at it and it was perfect, stock, no signs of previously being modded. Havent had a problem yet. If i could buy new I would, but I would recommend buying used from a dealer, or privately from a trusted person
( easier to deal with when a problem arises), when it comes to cars only deal with ebay if you inspect the car before you bid. If you buy used and the car is stock with under 36,000 miles, and something goes you got warranty.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go hunt for new 04 that might still be out there...who knows, maybe u'll get lucky.....or wait when the 9 comes out then buy the 05 VIII.....i waited almost 2 years b4 i got my evo coz i have to save up money for it......worth the wait plus i got the 05 instead of the 04......patience pays off in the end.....who knows u might be able to afford the 9 by then....good luck!!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
This would be hard to do. The only folks who buy Evos are those who are going to drive them hard. Maybe new is the only way to go. I will take a HUGE loss on my Eclipse. F***! Oh well...
its a less of a loss the longer you want to trade it in.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

im in the same boat brother looking to buy used but not sure if i should plus the mr is looking real good or the 9

Quick Reply: In need of advice on buying a used EVO.