Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does some Evo come with defected clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does some Evo come with defected clutch?

I heard that most Evo 8 come with defected clutch but Mitsubishi is denying it. This is an old story, but I want to bring it up since one of my neighbor who also own an evo 8 just had his clutch changed in about 2,000 mileage put into his car. He noticed his clutch start slipping. He had it changed at the dealership for 2 g's. For me, I have my car for 7 months already (8,000 miles on it). My clutch start slipping at around 3,000 mileage put into my car. Since I don't have the money to replace a new clutch like my neighbor did, I continue on driving it until the clutch was completely gone at my work place parking lot about 2 months ago. Luckily my dad's friend happened to be a mechanic so he charged me 600 for a clutch replacement. For most people, they probably know that clutch replacement for AWD car cost more than front or rear wheel drive car but I didn't. I shouldn't complain about it since I had a deal. FOR ANY EVO 8 DRIVER WHO DIDNT OR WILL EXPERIENCE YOUR CLUTCH SLIP IN LOW MILEAGE PUT INTO YOUR CAR, DON'T FEEL BAD FOR THINKING THAT YOU'RE A CLUTCH BURNER.

Last edited by oldschool; Feb 20, 2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Your clutch defected huh? To China? Lol....just playin bro.

I've got 15000 miles on my stock clutch and it grips like day one. I'm willing to bet there are more people on here that don't do burnouts or drag launches and have had no issues with their clutch than there are of people who have a bad clutch. Most cases I've heard of the clutch going out is from poor driving habits or just plain abuse.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

36000 on my 03.....same clutch no issues
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:31 AM

well I don't do burn out with my car since it's an AWD.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

they come with defective drivers
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

13K and 300whp and clutch is holding strong.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by an0ther
they come with defective drivers
I second that..

I have just about 30k on my car, original clutch.. My car is modified and have a few 12 second an 3 sub 12 second runs on the car..

People just abuse the heck out of their cars and then cry when their clutch or drivetrain breaks.. There's a few exceptions and likely a handful of cars that do indeed have legitimate problems, but I can tell right away when I see a car with a bad clutch if its been abused.. and if I can tell, a dealer can tell.

Is it just me, or was this post REALLY hard to follow? No offense, but I can only hope your driving skills are better than your writing..

Last edited by MalibuJack; Feb 20, 2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17k on my 03 and she grips perfect.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 07:08 AM

32K on my 03. sometimes i think it might be going but then i've been thinking that for 10k miles. must be my imagination, or i just want an excuse to install an exedy triple disc
Old Feb 20, 2005, 07:08 AM

If you launch frquently you will destroy your clutch quickly, that much is obvious. IMHO should have put a stronger clutch in anyway, or made the restrictor pill a little larger. HOWEVER, there are some '03 and '04 clutch discs that were defective. Let me explain.......I drove a few different EVOss before I bought mine. I tested the crud out of them which included a few launches - I was impressed, to say the least. All of the EVOs displayed the standard burnt clutch smell after a launch - no big deal. BUT, one particular EVO did something different. When I first tried to launch, the car didn't move. Then the clutch suddenly grabbed and we went shooting through the intersection. Behind the car was a HUGE cloud of white smoke. The windows were down on a quiet, sunny afternoon, so I know I didn't smoke the tires. The pillow of white smoke represented the clutch disc burning itself to nothingness. Needless to say, I didn't buy THAT EVO. Anyhow, some people are burning through their clutches unreasonably quickly because of their driving style (like me - 1st turbo + awd = $1100 lesson @ 12k miles), but some legitimately had defective clutches (I suspect the disc material, but a weak pressure plate could do the trick). Anyhow, I am tired of either every clutch being blamed on or on the driver. IT'S BOTH!!! I just thought I would try to settle this question once an for all (yeah, right).
Old Feb 20, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Ihave seem 3 big brand clutches be defective. So mitsu to get them all right and not hav any defective ones is just not going to happen. However this is the 1 in a 100, not the norm. There is a tread on here on how to launch without much abuse. thats how i roll, i dont even smell the clutch it just grabs. Honestly it feels like my seats going to snap before the clutch goes out.