Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Everyone's thoughts on tuning the IX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone's thoughts on tuning the IX?

I posted this up in general, as i thought it'd get the best response.

Whats everyone think about the new mivec head, gonna be a pain to tune, or simply another obsticle to easily step over?

Obviously if you're keepin the car stock, this isn't a worry, but i'm curious about some of the current flashes and such.

Any and all opinions welcome.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess there's the potential to make even more power across the rpm range with a flatter torque curve. However, I wouldn't want to be among the first group of owenrs experimenting with these heads! Tuners in Europe, the Far East, and even in North America have had literally a decade and a half of experience with the 4G63T.

For me the MIVEC head is actually a disadvantage! I'm in the market for a new Evo, and I'll go for a regular 2005 Evo 8 (or maybe an MR). I'm not going to wait for the Evo 9 since I intend to mod the car.

Emre
Old Feb 20, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, thats kinda my opinion too, it's a tough call between gettin an MR now, or waitin for the 9.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the 9.it'll have everything that the MR has for less cash,and you'll get the new look also
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo81
get the 9.it'll have everything that the MR has for less cash,and you'll get the new look also
lol who said it was going to be cheaper than the MR? they will be both priced almost the same.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
yeah, thats kinda my opinion too, it's a tough call between gettin an MR now, or waitin for the 9.
If you plan to mod the car, I'd go with an MR (or even regular Evo) rather than take your chances with a new and unproven engine. It's always risky to buy a car with a brand new drivetrain.

Remember the E46 M3 connecting rod bearing fiasco a few years back? And what about all these 2003 Evos that go through transfer cases every 5000 miles. The USDM 2003 Evos were the first to get the viscous center diff with open front diff. Hmmm...I wonder why Mitsu switched to the tried-and-true ACD transfer case with LSD front diff on all 2005's? Unlike BMW, Mitsu has NOT been taking responsibility for their manufacturing defects.

I wonder how many warranty claims there will be for the Evo 9 when people start modding them. I bet this board will be full of people screaming about fried valvetrains in a couple of years.

Emre
Old Feb 20, 2005, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTKage
lol who said it was going to be cheaper than the MR? they will be both priced almost the same.
really!?,well that sucks
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

anyone else care to chime in?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Red face

Hopefully they did some improvements to the original MIVEC technology .. the earlier versions on the 4g92 engines (1.6L with advertised 175hp) were complete failures .. these engines failed to churn up even comparable numbers to the SOHC Vtecs (FYI, Mivecs were supposed ot compete with the DOHC VTECs top of the line hondas)

Mivec is no where close to the AVCS or NVCS of the Subarus and Nissans .. it uses dual camlobes for more topend power .. just like the vtecs .. whether variable cam timing is used remains to be seen (there is a noticeable bulge at the cam cover though)

I'm leaning more towards an aftermarket part from HKS called the Vcam (though it is used in supras and silvias) .. Kansai has a working version now in a Limited edition run Evo IX TME (toshiyuki Mukai Edition) .. running a TD05-20G compressor making 420hp at 'only' 1.3 bar (19psi)

interesting point is it makes more power than standard turbo ALL ACROSS the rpm range ..
Attached Thumbnails Everyone's thoughts on tuning the IX?-td05-20g-1.jpg  
Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
If you plan to mod the car, I'd go with an MR (or even regular Evo) rather than take your chances with a new and unproven engine. It's always risky to buy a car with a brand new drivetrain.

Remember the E46 M3 connecting rod bearing fiasco a few years back? And what about all these 2003 Evos that go through transfer cases every 5000 miles. The USDM 2003 Evos were the first to get the viscous center diff with open front diff. Hmmm...I wonder why Mitsu switched to the tried-and-true ACD transfer case with LSD front diff on all 2005's? Unlike BMW, Mitsu has NOT been taking responsibility for their manufacturing defects.

I wonder how many warranty claims there will be for the Evo 9 when people start modding them. I bet this board will be full of people screaming about fried valvetrains in a couple of years.

Emre
Not to nitpick, but the engine will still be a 4G63. The only difference is the head. It would be possible to switch heads from MIVEC to non-MIVEC and vice versa. Also, I'm not positive, but I thought the IX was getting the same 6spd as the MR, which means it isn't a new drivetrain.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

hmm... interesting thoughts.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Always a dilema when choosing between a known quantity and the next generation. Thankfully I am happy with my current modded so I won't be the guinea pig for the IX. By the time I am ready to switch, we'll know the answers.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by WarmPepsi; Feb 21, 2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

New look
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTKage

Proof please...

Quick Reply: Everyone's thoughts on tuning the IX?