Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my wheel exploded - got pictures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 06:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so my impression is that you went off the road sideways, and your wheel must have hit something giving it an extreme lateral force busting the spokes (which regardless of who made the wheel, it will break or bend beyond repair in a situation like that). is that correct? of did the wheel break causing you to spin? non-the-less that is one F-ed up wheel. crazy...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

That could be a nice law suit over Enkie or even Mitsubishi, A wheel should not do that , I would talk with a lawer about some of this , I had a friend in High school that had American Racing wheels on his 70 chevy truck . they did the samething, And he sewed AR ,since they have such good insurance it was no problem for them to give my friend a 30,000 check . it did destroy his truck , so i would rasie my concern about this . just my .02
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cleanevo
That could be a nice law suit over Enkie or even Mitsubishi, A wheel should not do that , I would talk with a lawer about some of this , I had a friend in High school that had American Racing wheels on his 70 chevy truck . they did the samething, And he sewed AR ,since they have such good insurance it was no problem for them to give my friend a 30,000 check . it did destroy his truck , so i would rasie my concern about this . just my .02
oh boy another sue happy citizen...

I would want to hear a good explaination as to his evo suddenly "jacknifed" for no aparent reason...

From the looks of it, it seems like the rim failed when he left the road. but only a metalurgical analysis of the failed rim will tell if there was a flaw in the rim.

A lawyer is kind of useless at this point until you have more info.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that is insane!!! Glad you're alright man!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
oh boy another sue happy citizen...
a bump on that note!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cleanevo
I don't think going off road and then busting a wheel would be covered as KevinD mentioned ..... but I'm sorry it happened hope everything gets fixed .... its down right scary!
Evolved Member

Think it through people. His wheels exploded because he went off the freeway at freeway speeds and hit something HARD, not because the "quality" of the wheel was poor.

I still trying to figure out how a car jackknifed.
Evolving Member

Wow... that's scary, glad you came out of it alright. It would be good to find out what caused the wheel to explode like that.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong but the stock rims are aluminum right? Here is why I ask. Aluminum has no fatigue limit like steel or iron which means that eventually it will suffer some type of catastrophic fatigue failure no matter how low the stress exerted on it if it is subjected to enough stress cycles. But if your wheel was made properly or was not damaged then it shouldn't have done this. It broke because of an imperfection called a stress riser in the metal which caused fatigue cracks to form more rapidly and your wheel to eventually fall apart. So bottom line, it was damaged from the factory or you hit a curb (pretty frikin hard) or did something to the wheel to radically speed up the metal fatigue process. Someone who works on aircraft could explain this better they deal w/ metal fatigue every day...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

wow that sucks, if that was me i'd take the few remaining pieces of that go to the dealer i bought the car from and beat them with the spokes telling them i want volks..

sorry about the loss, but as long as your ok thats all that matters...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:32 AM
Former Sponsor

nah, an aluminum wheel will not fatigue from daily driving use causing catastrophic failure. if the wheel did have a defect then it is possible under a higher then normal stress force.

but after a very quick inspection, his wheel did not have a catastrophic failure due to fatigue. if you look at the rim, you can see there is an enormous break on the rim which was due to an impact directly on the side at higher speeds more then likely. this also impacted at the base of one of the spokes causing it to fail, and then the remainder of the spokes failed as the forces acting on the rim were no longer symetric and the loading due to impact was much greater then the strength of the remaining spokes.

my inspection is by no means a professionals opinion (although i did take solid mechanics classes, and i am a mechical engineer), but yeah i doubt he would stand any chance in court if he is using the wheel falling apart while driving causing his to loose control and go into the ditch.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Yikes. I worry about the quality of some aftermarket wheels, but I would never have worried about an OEM wheel prior to seeing this.
its still a aftermarket wheel company
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Glad you're okay Dude, from the pics of the wheel it looks like you had to have hit something really hard right at the lip of the wheel, that area around the bead is really tough but has a giant chunk blown out of it.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Better for the wheel to give than for it to stay in tact potentially causing a roll over. That wheel saved your *** when you went sideways. Glad you're ok, and hopefully your seats are clean.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

how did your car "jackknife" in the 1st place? theres a whole part of this story thats left out

but regardless you got out OK and the car can be repaired

Quick Reply: my wheel exploded - got pictures