Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my wheel exploded - got pictures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those pics are amazing. I've never seen anything like that. Glad to know your ok man.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
nah, an aluminum wheel will not fatigue from daily driving use causing catastrophic failure. if the wheel did have a defect then it is possible under a higher then normal stress force.

but after a very quick inspection, his wheel did not have a catastrophic failure due to fatigue. if you look at the rim, you can see there is an enormous break on the rim which was due to an impact directly on the side at higher speeds more then likely. this also impacted at the base of one of the spokes causing it to fail, and then the remainder of the spokes failed as the forces acting on the rim were no longer symetric and the loading due to impact was much greater then the strength of the remaining spokes.

my inspection is by no means a professionals opinion (although i did take solid mechanics classes, and i am a mechical engineer), but yeah i doubt he would stand any chance in court if he is using the wheel falling apart while driving causing his to loose control and go into the ditch.
Yeah your probably right it looks it was hit in the center of the wheel very hard and the wheel would have to be probably have to be significantly (visibly) flawed to generate a stress riser that would lead to a catastrophic failure under normal loads. Thats why I was wondering if he had hit anything hard prior to his accident. Would hitting a curb hard or something of that sort have the potential to cause this later on under normal conditions?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I seen my boys 97 camarro do the same thing. He lost it on the highway then smacked the curb, the rim took the hit and looked just like yours, but the suspension was totally fine. Look like yours grabed a huge rock or something.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

that's all I have to add besides
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think it was a lateral hit also. Somthing froze on the right rear caused the jackknife and going off sideways, somthing caught the rim. Think , in your mind, a moment as to what would have happend if the rim shattered on the highway. Its highly possible the rim would have rolled off yet the car could have maintained controll with a rotor on the pavement. Hitting the brakes would have caused the car to vear to the left. There just isnt enough force to cause that on a Aluminum rim rolling down the road, unless a huge pot hole or somthing was hit. Just not probable. Glad everyone is o.k. but this is intriging....
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Most likely cause apart from prior damage is obviously a manufacturing defect, eg. an inclusion of air/shrinkhole from which hairline cracks developed that eventually resulted in failure.

That's why high end wheel manufacturers will x-ray each wheel. That or some other non-destructive from of testing is usually recommended on a regular basis for wheels used in racing.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

defect is doubtful. Ime sure this person has probably played a little in his Evo like we all do and it would have given out much earlier in some high g turn or somthing if it were a factory defect. Rolling straight down the freeway is unlikely to have innitiated it. I would check my rear dif and cv's and bearings on that side for somthing that may have locked up.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
Most likely cause apart from prior damage is obviously a manufacturing defect, eg. an inclusion of air/shrinkhole from which hairline cracks developed that eventually resulted in failure.

That's why high end wheel manufacturers will x-ray each wheel. That or some other non-destructive from of testing is usually recommended on a regular basis for wheels used in racing.
I am a radiation safety officer in the military and we use a lorad to do non destructive testing on aluminum airframes. You'd think a respected company like enike (Sp??) would do some type testing though??
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by soule77
Would hitting a curb hard or something of that sort have the potential to cause this later on under normal conditions?
doubtful, but anything is possible. i soppose it would happen if hitting that curb caused a spoke to break, then when driving the loading was uneven causing abnormal stresses and strains on the other spokes eventually leading to failure of the remaining spokes. but obviously if you break a spoke by hitting a curb you wheel is going to be very bent as well, and it will vibrate like a **** at speed. and that would just be asking to throw your car into a ditch.

bike spokes are a loose example of this. i can break a spoke in a race or something and the wheel still spins and doesn't really fail. however it is bent quite severly with one broken spoke, and if you leave it unfixed for a while, then more break directly around the original broken spoke.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with you KevinD. I also think that the wheel breaking was probably a good thing! Sounds bad...but without the break, no telling what could have happened. Hitting something that hard that fast could have caused a roll over or break the whole rear assembly ect.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting thread. I'm glad no one was hurt. Look on the bright side insurance will cover the car and now you have an excuse to pick up some new rims.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

i had something similar happen to me i was racing in my 1st gen eclipse and i hit a wet spot in the road and i hydroplaned i lost control and my rear right rim hit the curb it looked exactly the same the impact was so hard because i was goin so fast that that i did a 180 and was looking at oncoming traffic as i kept sliding across the grass and hit a building

the point is you hit something pretty hard

oh yeah whats jackknife

Last edited by si_eater; Feb 21, 2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

if you look at the picture you can see that the bottom of the lip is completely smashed, it looks like a very high speed lateral hit. There is no way it would shatter like that on it's own. You must of spun out and hit a curb and then it shattered.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Evolution23
Those pics are amazing. I've never seen anything like that. Glad to know your ok man.
Ditto man. Those pics are definitely crazy! Glad you're okay.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

What happened to the guy who's wheel this is? I would also like to know what "jackknife" means? Glad you are ok buddy.

Shane

Quick Reply: my wheel exploded - got pictures