Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my wheel exploded - got pictures

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchout
I would also like to know what "jackknife" means?
Jackknife is when a semi or other vehicle towing a trailer loses control and the back end slides around sort of like a folding knife. In other words, the front end and back end are at about 90 degrees from each other instead of the usual 180. That's why I asked if he was pulling a trailer.

I guess what he meant to say was that he lost control of his Evo.

Either way, looks like he's ok since he is writing the post.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:30 AM

the rim just desintegrated. (spelling)
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Titleist71
the rim just disintegrated. (spelling)
Spellchecker active, correction made.

And yup, it just came apart.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

So you were just minding your own business and all of a sudden. The rim explodes like a bomb hit it causing the car to jacknife? Or were you going sideways hit something then the bomb went off? You would have to be doing something rather serious to make the rim look like that...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... this is not complicated. He lost control of his Evo. Slid into a ditch at freeway speeds. At THAT point (While sliding in the ditch) his wheel hit something going 50+ MPH sideways and broke his rim. You find a chunk of aluminum shaped like that and hit it on a post at 50 mph with 3,500 lbs of momentum... see if you can manufacture it to withstand it. lol... everyone seems to belive his rim just "shattered" causing the slide... it "shattered" after he crashed
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Holy @#$!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

WOW

evoisdream
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Wow... this is not complicated.
I think what's causing the confusion is that he never really mentions what caused the "jacknife", so everyone assumed it was the wheel coming apart that was the cause.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:31 PM

I bet If he had the GSR with the big spoiler the car wouldn't have gone sideways on him........
Glad Evo drivers have been jacking up my insurance rates monthly.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
bs
Evolving Member

I think he meant he fishtailed not jacknifed......just my interpretation
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

holy ****, never seen a wheel explode like that, glad to see your ok
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

This happened to me many years ago when I was driving a Porsche 911; I had the car to a shop in Huntinton beach for my 5000 mile service and the tech removed all my wheels to inspect the brakes for some unknown reason. He then re-installed my wheels with an impact wrench, not a torque wrench. A week later I was driving down the hill from Lake Arrowhead at a pretty good clip and all of a sudden my car was in a sideways approach to the next apex. I downshifted, turned in the direction of the slide and nothing happened! The next thing I knew we were tumbling down the road. Lucky for us we ended up on the mountain side of the road and not the cliff. My girlfriend kicked out the passenger side window and pulled me to safety as I was unconscious. Long story short the investigative team from my insurance company found after months of testing that there were microscopic fractures emanating out from the lugs thru the spider on the rear driver's wheel and that under a little stress the entire spider fractured off the rim, the tire was jammed into the wheel well and the spider had caught on the ashphalt and catapulted us down the road. Lesson ALWAYS hand torque your wheels.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Wow... this is not complicated. He lost control of his Evo. Slid into a ditch at freeway speeds. At THAT point (While sliding in the ditch) his wheel hit something going 50+ MPH sideways and broke his rim. You find a chunk of aluminum shaped like that and hit it on a post at 50 mph with 3,500 lbs of momentum... see if you can manufacture it to withstand it. lol... everyone seems to belive his rim just "shattered" causing the slide... it "shattered" after he crashed
Well there you have it someone understand exactly what the guys trying to say.

You know I was going down the road and jacknifed and hit the grass and I noticed my rim exploded and flew off the car and then I got out. In the sequence of events where did the rim explode. Did he hit a curb or something hard, or did the rim exploding cause the whole "jacknife" action so who really knows?

Last edited by ThEHiTMaN; Feb 21, 2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2004EVORS
I was on the freeway and the car jacknifed. I turned to the right so I did not go into the center divider (concrete). The car went off the road and went into some dirt area when the wheel flew off a rolled away and the side dropped down. I slid into some dirt in the side of the road where I got stuck. I did not think the wheel was off the car. I got out and looked to see the hub attached and the outer wheel rolled several yards forward. Shattered my right side mirror and other small damages.
If you actually read it, it does say when the wheel got damaged. He says the rear slid out, went into the dirt, THEN the wheel flew off and the side dropped down. So, he was either going too fast for the turn or hydroplained and when he hit the dirt with the car sideways it shattered the wheel. very simple...i don't know how people arn't understanding that.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOag
i am glad u are alive....
WTF is up with you by saying you are glad he is alive
if he wasn't he wont be here typing
geeez ppl need to know what is apporiate to type

Quick Reply: my wheel exploded - got pictures