Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motor Trend states the Center diff is 50/50. Is that the "Tarmac" split on ACD?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

I am very confused. After reading the information from Mitsubishi on the Evolution VI and VII I was under the impression that the 50:50 split was just a starting point and the center differential adjusted the split to send more torque to the wheels that could handle it (according to all the sensors they use)? If the rear wheels started to spin or slide then more torque is sent to the front etc. so it could theoretically vary itself from a 100:0 to 0:100 split. Is this what you guys are talking about? I also thought the tarmac setting in the ACD set it to about 40:60 starting split and snow was 60:40 or something (maybe not even that much difference, I think I read the exact figures in an EVO magazine)? While typing this I thought maybe it was the ACD I was thinking about (first part of post) but I remeber reading a magazine that said the Evolution VI could do this too?
Aston
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:11 AM
EvoM Guru

I dove a prelude SH around Waterford Hills Race track (near Detroit) and it does work, almost unaturally so! Ideally you would have some form of EBD (electronic brake distribution) to work side to side (measuring stearing angle, lateral load etc.) so it would bias breaking to the inside tires on turn in eliminating understeer then the active diff(s) would send the torque to the outside wheels. EVO IX anyone? The trick is making this stuff seamless and consistant. Everyone here has heard the almost universial hatered for the AYC system when used hard at the track (not just because it is prone to failure) because you never new what it was going to do next.

There is a lot to be said for a well tuned mechanical system.

There will be a day that a 30k car can have perfectly tuned electronic active diffs and brakes, but judging by the comments of track day users of EVO's that day has not yet arrived. may have done us a favor decontenting the VIII (except for the front limited slip )
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Rafal

And if Skyline is a bad example please give me a better one.
My point was that it's not quite fair to compare the front-rear distribution in the Skyline to that of the Evo since the Skyline was designed as a touring car and the Evo was designed as a rally car. Your post made it sound like "rear-bias is best because the Skyline does it." Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

Last edited by iodine23; Jan 16, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chronohunter
The balance is the key. Because the car has a front weight bias it requires more vertical load on the front than a car that is more evenly balanced (BMW) or rear biased (MR-2, Porsche). that means more trail brake (therefore later throttle) than the balanced car. To get max cornering the vertical load on each tire should match the weight distribution. This is up untill the point of acceleration when we have started to unwind the wheel (therefore less cornering force=grip avaliable for acceleration). Yes I get on the gas a little later but the exit speed is actually higher because I started accelerating from a higher speed and remember I had to brake less because my entry speed was higher and my apex speed was higher as well. Make sense?

In general terms: The more the front weight bias the more trail braking is needed and the later you car accelerate. That is why race cars (purpose built have a ~40/60r bias, awsome braking as well!) have more weight in the back. We need to drive an EVO into a corner like a front wheel drive car because it has similar weight distribution! But we can rocket off the corner like nothing else!

As far a the sacrifice you make to get on the gas sooner that is done with the line through the corner. In slow to medium (up to about 3rd gear) we use a latter turn in and apex so we can get the wheel straighter sooner (and therefore accelerate sooner). about two thirds of the turning is done in the first half of the corner to maximize acceleration off the corner (if it leads onto any sort of straight). Top of 3rd and above you use more of the maximum constant radius and you do indeed pick up the throttle nearer the turn in point (depending on balance of car and actual speed of corner, generally the faster the corner the earlier you pick up the throttle). Your turn
Indeed!! A lot of things to talk about. The main problem is that doing it through the email, takes away a lot of good things. I think, that just after this post of yours, I realized that we are talking about the different kind of usage or racing if you will. All of your points are from the road racing perspective, while I have mine through the autoX experience.For you medium speeds are mid-top of the third, which goes between the 60-100 mph. When I use the same range, speeds are in the 40-55 mph range. High speed for the autoX rarely go over the 65 mph, although I did see a few events where I was at the top of the third (even hit the rev limiter once, which happens around 105 mph), but those are rare exceptions that shouldn't really happen in this sport. And, most of the autoX courses are covered in a 2nd gear, so floored 400 HP car behaves somewhat different when the same is done in a 3rd or 4th. And the last big difference that I see here is that autoX setup has to be much more loose than RR once would desire.

So, going over this keyboard sharing experience and thoughts is still a lot of fun (especially when you have someone over there that likes the keep things in the right spots), but still nowhere close to the discussion that could happen over the or

Later!!

Fedja
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
My point was that it's not quite fair to compare the front-rear distribution in the Skyline to that of the Evo since the Skyline was designed as a touring car and the Evo was designed as a rally car.
Sti, EVO7 in Tarmac mode.....
On a dry road course rear bias is preffered.

Your post made it sound like "rear-bias is best because the Skyline does it." Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.
It's: "Rear bias is better, that's why Skyline (and others) are doing it".
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Generally speaking the greater the surface grip the more rear bias you want all the way up to 10f/90r on a good surface with "R" compound tires.

The reasoning for this is the greater the grip of the surface the greater the tendency for any car to understeer so we would ideally counter that by shifting torque to the back.

On a lower grip surface (rain, gravel, snow, etc.) car is much "looser" ( ) so more even torque split even a slight front bias (60f/40r) depending on how slippery it is. The Ford RS200 group B rally car had a lever that let you go from full RWD to 60f/40r !! I'm sure they can do even more than that now with electronics and all

The 35f/65r Cusco mechanical center diff is a nice compromise. Much more predictable than a slow reacting dim-witted viscous. Gotta find a source for a group buy
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chronohunter
The 35f/65r Cusco mechanical center diff is a nice compromise. Much more predictable than a slow reacting dim-witted viscous. Gotta find a source for a group buy
Keep me in the loop there too!!

Fedja
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MrAWD

Keep me in the loop there too!!
So you're not getting the STi?
Old Jan 16, 2003 | 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Rafal
So you're not getting the STi?
What is STi??