Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

10 things I hate about Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
75 posts in 1 hr. i think you lit a fart
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm highly entertained. After racing for years, family in racing, and friends that race (not drag by the way), we're all very impressed with the Evo overall. I think there is some validity to your post, however. Basically you want a race car that's street legal...but you don't want to modify a car...best of luck. And if you like the push of the evo, I'm sure a FWD car is going to be just right for ya.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hi_nrg_fizzix
Try the factory specs for the tire pressures, 32f, 29r cold.
The factory specs greatly contribute to the car's understeer in stock form. Bumping up the rear pressures relative to tyhe front (as g6civcx described) should give you a more neutral cornering stance. When I'm on the track, I find the car handles best with the fronts at 40 psi (hot) and 41.5 psi (hot) in the rear.

Originally Posted by hi_nrg_fizzix
Also, get an alignment from a reputable race shop, dealers tend to be pretty sloppy with alignments.
That I agree with 100%. Stock alignment is WAY too conservative.

Emre
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
i think you went wrong at:
"6. You have never heard or know anyone with those problems because most Evo owners don't know the difference."
nice way to start **** with people on this forum basically *sigh*. why do you think they'r thrashing you?
1. i'm 5'7", ~160, 32 waist, avg built (no this isn't a personal ad! ) and i think the seats are just fine. MAYBE they could be just a TINY bit smaller, but they're so slim compared to like 95% of cars out there.

2. tight steering is good imo, i get a much better feel of tire/road communication.

3. yes, it's annoying when bumps jerk the wheel around, but i think that goes back to my #2. they're related (but what do i know, i'm just one of the "most" evo pWn0rZ). i'm sure you're a regular Mr. T and all (judging from your love of cage matches), but maybe you should spend just a lil more time on some butterfly curls. i'm rather OUT OF SHAPE (not fat, just haven't worked out since....), and i mean i'm REALLY weak these days, and i can turn the wheel by one hand while parking and hold it straight while doing 70 on a very bumpy road.

4. peak torque is at 3500rpm if i'm not wrong? 4k my left nipple.

5. yes, me turbo - you lag. that's how it works. as far as reviews say, it spools faster than sti, can someone attest?

6. sorry you don't like the car so much, and 8.8 compression is indeed stupid low. my stock integra (wow look, another honda guy!) is like 9.2 (non-Vt3cH y0).

7. my only probs with it: tiny *** gauges, hard to make out speed, but i got used to it. door panels are soooo bloody borrrriiiing! , my teg has more slick looking ones, but whatever.

well too bad you wanna let evo go.
Well, you have to admit, most Evo owners don't know the difference. There is a small minority who actually have a clue, but they rarely post and just lurk. The vocal fews tend to not be able to distinguish the difference.

1. I'm about the same size as you, except I'm very trimmed. I've been out of training for a bit but I'm still working as a personal trainer time to time.

2. No complaints about the tight steering. I'm complaining about the under-assist.

3. I can induce power over with one finger and hold it. That's not the point. When you transition lock to lock, the tyres have too much grip and the gearbox isn't really set up for the quick movement. You can feel the steering fight you. Take my S13 for example. You toss the wheel with one hand and it will spin all the way to opposite lock. That's what I mean about steering effort.

Whereas with the Evo, you spin it, and it stops on its own and will actually steer back in.

I guess it's just set up differently, and requires a different touch.

4. Peak boost comes at 3,500 RPM, but the power doesn't build until you are well into 4,000 RPM. After that it's an avalanche of power. It can catch you off-guard if you're not ready for the boost to come in. You come in the throttle and get nothing, you put your foot in it, and you get too much, then you back off and have to be careful that you don't back off too much.

5. The STi has brutal power delivery anywhere in the rev range in any gear. Trust me. I've driven one for 10,000 miles. Drive one and you'll understand what I'm saying. That's the type of power delivery I want.

6. 8.8 is low as compared to other motors, but it's not low compared to the race-spec 4G63. I feel like we got shafted with the higher compression and smaller nozzles. If there's going to be lag, at least give us more peak power.

7. I do not look at the gauges when I drive. I've been trying to do it by tactile sensation only, not by sound or by looking at the gauges. I find that I can concentrate better, and after a while you can develop a feel for speed.

I would keep it if I enjoyed driving it a little more, but I don't any more and with the warranty stuff I don't want to modify it. Oh well, upwards and onwards I guess.

Good post by the way. Didn't mean to rough anybody who didn't need rubbing. Sorry about that that.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

like Kayaalp said, it's about learning to get the most out of the car. i've had my teg for 3yrs, have a brake and suspension upgrade, went to a few autox's and i've gotten the hang of driving it at the limits (i'm nowhere as good as some teg drivers out there), but it made the lil 142hp car very enjoyable for me; even now when i have the evo i still love driving the honda.
eventhough i know that evo's awd makes it easier to drive at the limit than say rwd, i'm still not comfortable with it and never drive it as hard as i do the teg.
dont' sell the car just cause you haven't learned how to drive it, think of it as a challenge, just as you learned your other cars. you'll thank yourself later. easier to drive doesn't mean less challenging.
also, if you don't like modded cars, aren't you the one getting engine transplant in your s13?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by umiami80
Need to get the sand outa your Vagina.

OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

"C'mon Napolean you and i both know im training to fight in a cage match."
LOLL i love that movie...no freaking plot but funny nonetheless.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, thanks for the comments to the guys who came late the party. I appreciate what you say.

You guys are correct. It's a driver's error, not a mechanical. My one goal above all else is to become a better driver. I don't care what car I drive, as long as I can learn and the car can teach me to become better, I'm all for it.

All too often people just want the fastest lawnmower on the block, but drive it at 5/10, or even 7/10. I want to be to push it to 8/10, 9/10, and even max it out.

That is my goal. I don't care what car I drive.

Another thing I try to do is to be flexible as a driver and develop a feel for the car. I've owned more than 15 cars in the past, anything from FWD to RWD. I'll admit that the Evo was my first AWD car, and it's a fabulous one.

I just don't want it any more since I can't use it the way I want, and plus for a variety of other reasons as well.

I'm getting the alignment checked again tomorrow so we'll see what they find.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
like Kayaalp said, it's about learning to get the most out of the car. i've had my teg for 3yrs, have a brake and suspension upgrade, went to a few autox's and i've gotten the hang of driving it at the limits (i'm nowhere as good as some teg drivers out there), but it made the lil 142hp car very enjoyable for me; even now when i have the evo i still love driving the honda.
eventhough i know that evo's awd makes it easier to drive at the limit than say rwd, i'm still not comfortable with it and never drive it as hard as i do the teg.
dont' sell the car just cause you haven't learned how to drive it, think of it as a challenge, just as you learned your other cars. you'll thank yourself later. easier to drive doesn't mean less challenging.
also, if you don't like modded cars, aren't you the one getting engine transplant in your s13?
I understand what you say. You have very valid points.

By modifications, I mean anything that are above and beyond basic bolt-ons. The S13 gets the new engine, but it's kept stock. Nothing too aggressive except for privisions for cooling. I don't want to start messing with the boost of the Evo. I already talked with some reputable tuners [names withheld], and they couldn't give me what I want because their maps are more for peak gains than endurance racing. Plus they all want to sell me more power when all I want is a little better power delivery.

I'm selling the car. It's already been decided. Maybe if I'm in the mood later on I'll buy another Evo, but chances I will never buy another Evo again. Sad though. It's a really good car. Too bad it just doesn't offer what I'm looking for.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

good luck with it man!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ezhangin
Man that hurts actually If u have a helmet on. I was at an autoX and that happened. I blanked out for a second before I saved the Evo from a spin. Watch your heads tall guys
hehe, i hear ya...

i just hate the hollow thud that echo's in the helmet when it happens... it really throws off my senses...

and if you don't have one on, that damned seatbelt bind will catch you... which for some reason to me, hurts more, but doesn't throw off the senses as much......

now that i managed to find my happy medium seat spot, it's all good in the hood...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cash Money
hehe, i hear ya...

i just hate the hollow thud that echo's in the helmet when it happens... it really throws off my senses...

and if you don't have one on, that damned seatbelt bind will catch you... which for some reason to me, hurts more, but doesn't throw off the senses as much......

now that i managed to find my happy medium seat spot, it's all good in the hood...
You know, you should really be careful when the helmet hits. Helmets are generally designed for one impact. If you bang your head too many times, the helmet may not be good any more, and needs to be checked to make sure the shell is still good.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

i posted before i refreshed. i understand why you wouldn't wanna mod it. personally i'm holding off mods cause i feel that i need to be more comfortable with the car before i make it faster, and i would like to learn with stock suspension tuning. (yes it understeers, especially the '03-'04 year with no front lsd like the '05, but i would like to learn how to trailbrake into corners safely like i do with my teggy). also i've gotten the back end out before, from power oversteer, coming out of corners, but that was at lower speeds. just curious, had someone done it at over 35mph on the '03-04 model year GSR?
when you say "power AFTER 4k rpm". wouldn't you rather have torque than power, to pull you out of corners? and yea it caught me off guard in the rain when making a left turn from stop at about 15mph. i had a long list of replacement parts that cost way too much for being nothing more than grill meshes and such, from the body shop to attest my encounter with a 6" tall curb (couple months ago). that's why i keep pointing out that i'm not comfortable with this car YET, so i won't lie by pretending i'm a 733t stunnaZZ. i only have 3200 miles on it after 5months btw.

yea you can't whip the steering around, but wouldn't that also deal with caster and evo being 3300lbs, s13 is like 2800?

i'm trying to learn to drive without looking at the cluster as well, just takes some getting used to in a different car. heel-n-toe feels kinda weird too.

oh and watch some Top Gear reviews of the evo, especially all the FQ versions vs lambo. Jeremy Clarkson loves this car (not saying that's the reason why i own one)
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverCOEvo
I'm highly entertained. After racing for years, family in racing, and friends that race (not drag by the way), we're all very impressed with the Evo overall. I think there is some validity to your post, however. Basically you want a race car that's street legal...but you don't want to modify a car...best of luck. And if you like the push of the evo, I'm sure a FWD car is going to be just right for ya.
I agree with everything you said. I'm very impressed by it as well, but I'm not entertained by it any more.

I generally don't like heavily modified cars because they tend to be less reliable. I don't care about streetability at all. I have a loophole where I don't even have to run a cat, but that's a different story

I'm going back to the S13. The only reason I had the motor pulled was because the old motor blew.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post *****.

Quick Reply: 10 things I hate about Evo