Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

10 things I hate about Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:18 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Well, you have to admit, most Evo owners don't know the difference. There is a small minority who actually have a clue, but they rarely post and just lurk. The vocal fews tend to not be able to distinguish the difference.

1. I'm about the same size as you, except I'm very trimmed. I've been out of training for a bit but I'm still working as a personal trainer time to time.

2. No complaints about the tight steering. I'm complaining about the under-assist.

3. I can induce power over with one finger and hold it. That's not the point. When you transition lock to lock, the tyres have too much grip and the gearbox isn't really set up for the quick movement. You can feel the steering fight you. Take my S13 for example. You toss the wheel with one hand and it will spin all the way to opposite lock. That's what I mean about steering effort.

Whereas with the Evo, you spin it, and it stops on its own and will actually steer back in.

I guess it's just set up differently, and requires a different touch.

4. Peak boost comes at 3,500 RPM, but the power doesn't build until you are well into 4,000 RPM. After that it's an avalanche of power. It can catch you off-guard if you're not ready for the boost to come in. You come in the throttle and get nothing, you put your foot in it, and you get too much, then you back off and have to be careful that you don't back off too much.

5. The STi has brutal power delivery anywhere in the rev range in any gear. Trust me. I've driven one for 10,000 miles. Drive one and you'll understand what I'm saying. That's the type of power delivery I want.

6. 8.8 is low as compared to other motors, but it's not low compared to the race-spec 4G63. I feel like we got shafted with the higher compression and smaller nozzles. If there's going to be lag, at least give us more peak power.

7. I do not look at the gauges when I drive. I've been trying to do it by tactile sensation only, not by sound or by looking at the gauges. I find that I can concentrate better, and after a while you can develop a feel for speed.

I would keep it if I enjoyed driving it a little more, but I don't any more and with the warranty stuff I don't want to modify it. Oh well, upwards and onwards I guess.

Good post by the way. Didn't mean to rough anybody who didn't need rubbing. Sorry about that that.
You are correct about most drivers, not just Evo owners, don't know the difference.
Unfortunately your initial post was somewhat antagonistic in title and to me a bit of a paradox in its points. This, I think, attracted some of the irritating flies that clung to this thread making stupid comments.

Last weekend I set my Evo up with a bit more of an aggressive alignment. I had -2 dialed in to the front camber and -1.5 in the rear. I also removed all toe in in the rear. This had an interesting effect as it actually lightened the front steering slightly. It also removed some of the excessive temperatures I was seeing on the outside of the front tires at the track. Unfortunately the Evo really needs slightly stiffer springs as it still appears to roll over the front tires slightly.

I wouldn't give up on your Evo yet as a daily driver. I still find mine entertaining each day and still find it enjoyable enough to track it occasionally even when I have a dedicated track/fun car.

Best of luck,
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
i posted before i refreshed. i understand why you wouldn't wanna mod it. personally i'm holding off mods cause i feel that i need to be more comfortable with the car before i make it faster, and i would like to learn with stock suspension tuning. (yes it understeers, especially the '03-'04 year with no front lsd like the '05, but i would like to learn how to trailbrake into corners safely like i do with my teggy). also i've gotten the back end out before, from power oversteer, coming out of corners, but that was at lower speeds. just curious, had someone done it at over 35mph on the '03-04 model year GSR?
when you say "power AFTER 4k rpm". wouldn't you rather have torque than power, to pull you out of corners? and yea it caught me off guard in the rain when making a left turn from stop at about 15mph. i had a long list of replacement parts that cost way too much for being nothing more than grill meshes and such, from the body shop to attest my encounter with a 6" tall curb (couple months ago). that's why i keep pointing out that i'm not comfortable with this car YET, so i won't lie by pretending i'm a 733t stunnaZZ. i only have 3200 miles on it after 5months btw.

yea you can't whip the steering around, but wouldn't that also deal with caster and evo being 3300lbs, s13 is like 2800?

i'm trying to learn to drive without looking at the cluster as well, just takes some getting used to in a different car. heel-n-toe feels kinda weird too.

oh and watch some Top Gear reviews of the evo, especially all the FQ versions vs lambo. Jeremy Clarkson loves this car (not saying that's the reason why i own one)
I don't know the difference between torque and power. All I know is I step on the throttle, and the car either bogs, or jacknifes forward. There isn't that progressive power on like the NA cars.

I put 10,000 miles on it after the first 2 months so I'm safe to say I do have a lot of experience with the car

With the RS, trailbraking is really easy. It's also very easy to get the rear out with a dab of the brakes. No complaints from me with that aspect.

The S13 is 2,600 lbs. I think the S13 also has more negative caster for quick steering.

It took me a few thounsand miles to get the feel of the car's speed, but I'm at the point now where I have developed a pretty good feel, and I can peg the speed down to within 5 mph or so.

If you watch the end of that, as much as he loves the car, he still doesn't think the FQ400 is a good car, and would much rather have one of the less high-strung FQ's
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
You are correct about most drivers, not just Evo owners, don't know the difference.
Unfortunately your initial post was somewhat antagonistic in title and to me a bit of a paradox in its points. This, I think, attracted some of the irritating flies that clung to this thread making stupid comments.

Last weekend I set my Evo up with a bit more of an aggressive alignment. I had -2 dialed in to the front camber and -1.5 in the rear. I also removed all toe in in the rear. This had an interesting effect as it actually lightened the front steering slightly. It also removed some of the excessive temperatures I was seeing on the outside of the front tires at the track. Unfortunately the Evo really needs slightly stiffer springs as it still appears to roll over the front tires slightly.

I wouldn't give up on your Evo yet as a daily driver. I still find mine entertaining each day and still find it enjoyable enough to track it occasionally even when I have a dedicated track/fun car.

Best of luck,
Hey, thanks for the comment. Yes, I made it sound a little antagonistic, and I was stirring the pot a little bit. Sorry about that

I just don't like driving it any more and that will not change. I guess I'm just looking to move on.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I used to have a really good looking girl friend who enjoyed having as much sex as I wanted, never wanted me to spend any money on her and never nagged me

I think the problem with her was I screwed her so much that my ***** became sore

I guess nothing in life is perfect
wow but very true
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

I never thought someone could B itch so much about stupid things. If this car gets to you that much you must hate every other car on the market.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

It's funny how everybody started jumping on me ever since they saw the topic. I've put over 23,000 miles on the car. I think I know a thing or two about the car

And it's also one of the reasons I'm moving away from the Evo. It's a very affordable car that anybody can get their hands on one if they wanted. As such, we get a lot of inexperienced drivers and the maturity level isn't where I'd like it to be. But oh well. Not like ClubSi is any better

The one thing I noticed is that when you go on a Subie board and say the same thing about the STi, people just kinda agree and say it is what it is, whereas here everybody worships the almighty Evo and anything against it is blasphemy.

I am running the factory specs. I had it aligned by the dealer to make sure it was good.
I'm running A046 with 34 psi cold in the front and 37 psi in the rear.

I have checked all the hoses and connections and torqued down all the clamps. They all seemed okay to me. No looseness.
dude, the name of the car says is all.

EVOLUTION.

WRX = in the works
WRX STI = in the works still

if you can't handle it due to personal weaknesses and insecurities, then maybe you should move on.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. The seat is too large. I have a 28" waist. I need something smaller.

2. The clutch engagement is too high. I would like to lower it about an inch. It takes too long to engage the clutch because of the long pedal travel.

3. The steering effort is too heavy. I want it to be a little lighter. Yes, I know some people complained that it's too quick and too light, but not for me. Road feel is good, but I would like a little bit less effort for quick turning lock-to-lock.

4. The turbo lag is really getting to me. On-throttle response above 4,000 RPM is okay, but if I drop it a gear too low, it'll take a long time for the boost to come back.

5. Throttle response is poor. I attribute that to the high-compression motor. Comes with the territory, but I demand instant response.

6. The car tracks with cracks in the road easily. It's fine if you don't try to correct for it, but it can catch you off-guard if you're not careful.

7. The bumpsteer is getting too unbearable. Hit a little bump and the wheel gets jerked out of your hand. I wonder what the scrub radius is.

8. It weighs too much. You can feel the weight holding you back in tight corner (1st and slow 2nd gear corners) transitions. Best to induce power oversteer and pitch it in, or the car will understeer in the sharp transitions.

9. The car sits too tall. Cornering is flat, but you do feel some body lean and it can get floaty over rough pavement.

10. 3rd gear is too tall. 1st and 2nd are okay, but 3rd seems too flat. It needs to go up a tooth or two.

I'm still looking for faults
damn , why do you even still own an evo ?
you should sell it and get a car that better suits your tastes
an evo is not for you .......
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
I get full boost, 21PSI, BELOW 3000RPM's, tune buddy,
he's talking about in the lower gears. The turbo doesn't fully spool until about 4000 rpms. Sure, in 5th, the turbo spools a bit below 3000.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I used to have a really good looking girl friend who enjoyed having as much sex as I wanted, never wanted me to spend any money on her and never nagged me

I think the problem with her was I screwed her so much that my ***** became sore

I guess nothing in life is perfect
ROTFLMFAOx1000000
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

You should really get rid of your EVO and get a Go-Kart! It's small, has a great turning ratio, and very fast You'll feel right at home.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

I feel you buddy... sometimes I feel slow compare to other regular cars...
what he's saying is that he's looking for a car to teach him the ability to drive. Evo is not the car for you... It's designed to be quite safe and handle very very well that people almost forgot the true spirit of driving... I believe you're more into N/A cars instead of turbo... and nissan Silvia might suit you the best! Personally i would go for AE86 because eventho it's old, it teach you a lot of things..

I bought the evo because i appreciate how it's made...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I would recommend a HONDA...
u got to be fuc.king kidding
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

You know, you should really be careful when the helmet hits. Helmets are generally designed for one impact. If you bang your head too many times, the helmet may not be good any more, and needs to be checked to make sure the shell is still good.

it's happened twice... and it gets inspected once before the opening of season around here... and then once at the end, barring any impacts... if i have a contact, i get it inspected before next event... nothing noticeably wrong with it, besides that i need a more breathable unit... hairs soaked usually after an event... oh yeah, one other thing, it stinks now because of the sweat... lol... and, want a different color now.... lol... that's about it...

but, in all seriousness, it sounds like you can use a Lotus Elise... it's as close to a race-car as you can get... plus it's MR layout... but drawback is the 2ZZ-GE, not much going on before 6k revs... but it is a fabulous motor though in regards to deliverability and dependability... and it's one of the sweetest sounding N/A 4-cyl you'll ever hear when you got an exhaust on there... plus, if needed, there is turbo kits out there now too...

...or maybe a kart... like a 125cc Yam powered side by unit... you'd be suprised how they rip and corner... lol... and i'm totally serious... soooo much fun....
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

1. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

2. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

3. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

4. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

5. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

6. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

7. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

8. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

9. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

10. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
1. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

2. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

3. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

4. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

5. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

6. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

7. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

8. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

9. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.

10. Idiotic EVO owners who complain about one of the greatest cars of all time.
Richard Evo lol are you high?

Quick Reply: 10 things I hate about Evo