Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

10 things I hate about Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 things I hate about Evo

1. The seat is too large. I have a 28" waist. I need something smaller.

2. The clutch engagement is too high. I would like to lower it about an inch. It takes too long to engage the clutch because of the long pedal travel.

3. The steering effort is too heavy. I want it to be a little lighter. Yes, I know some people complained that it's too quick and too light, but not for me. Road feel is good, but I would like a little bit less effort for quick turning lock-to-lock.

4. The turbo lag is really getting to me. On-throttle response above 4,000 RPM is okay, but if I drop it a gear too low, it'll take a long time for the boost to come back.

5. Throttle response is poor. I attribute that to the high-compression motor. Comes with the territory, but I demand instant response.

6. The car tracks with cracks in the road easily. It's fine if you don't try to correct for it, but it can catch you off-guard if you're not careful.

7. The bumpsteer is getting too unbearable. Hit a little bump and the wheel gets jerked out of your hand. I wonder what the scrub radius is.

8. It weighs too much. You can feel the weight holding you back in tight corner (1st and slow 2nd gear corners) transitions. Best to induce power oversteer and pitch it in, or the car will understeer in the sharp transitions.

9. The car sits too tall. Cornering is flat, but you do feel some body lean and it can get floaty over rough pavement.

10. 3rd gear is too tall. 1st and 2nd are okay, but 3rd seems too flat. It needs to go up a tooth or two.

I'm still looking for faults

Last edited by g6civcx; Feb 21, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if i had your problems with your evo id sell it. i never herd or no any 1 with thos problems. i think your evo is in need of some tlc. did u bye it new if not im shore the 1 who had it be4 u beet the hell out of it. thats how it seems. im sorry your evo is haveing so much truble. i would bring it to a dealer have them look at it and find out what kind of drugs that car is on. hope all works out.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I would recommend a HONDA...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

1. I'm selling it, but for a different reason.

2. My Evo is one of the best maintained car on this forum.

3. I bought the car new.

4. I wouldn't call it problems. It's just how the car is set up.

5. The dealer sees it every 5,000 miles.

6. You have never heard or know anyone with those problems because most Evo owners don't know the difference.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

1. If the seat is too small why do you want a smaller one?
2. If you are concerned about lag than you are in the wrong gear. The big 16g spools so quick.
3. From rack to rack the evo is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, car made. So that statement makes no sense.
4. High compression motor, are you smoking crack, the evo has low compression. And judging from your name you are into honda's so you should know all about high revving and high compression. The evo's 8.8:1 is nothing compared to a honda with 12:1 or higher.
5. It is heavy, but it has to be heavy to feel stable at high speeds.

Do you even own an evo? Doesn't sound like it to me.

High compression, hahahahahaha!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i read the seat thing i was like.... that makes no sense haha
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4ringturncoat
I would recommend a HONDA...
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I started out with a lot of experience in the FWD, and transitioning to the RWD. I think I was better off coming to AWD from RWD than coming straight to AWD from FWD.

The RWD taught me a lot about throttle control and steering play. The FWD taught me all about momentum and the line.

The Evo made me forget about everything and made me just hamfist it and power down. No finesse. Just pure power and traction.

I have a Civic and an S13. I'm going back to the S13 as soon as the motor transplant is done.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by g6civcx
6. You have never heard or know anyone with those problems because most Evo owners don't know the difference.
We are just a bunch of mindless trolls...Loser! Or am I talking to Carlos sainz?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I don't agree with any of the above stated problems. The only problem I have w/ Mitsu engineers is the turning radius ! ! ! I think the only place where I can make a u turn is on Constitution Ave and thats got 4 lanes going each way...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

1. The seat is too small. I have a 28" waist. I need something smaller.

2. The clutch engagement is too high. I would like to lower it about an inch. It takes too long to engage the clutch because of the long pedal travel.

3. The steering effort is too heavy. I want it to be a little lighter. Yes, I know some people complained that it's too quick and too light, but not for me. Road feel is good, but I would like a little bit less effort for quick turning lock-to-lock.

4. The turbo lag is really getting to me. On-throttle response above 4,000 RPM is okay, but if I drop it a gear too low, it'll take a long time for the boost to come back.

5. Throttle response is poor. I attribute that to the high-compression motor. Comes with the territory, but I demand instant response.

6. The car tracks with cracks in the road easily. It's fine if you don't try to correct for it, but it can catch you off-guard if you're not careful.

7. The bumpsteer is getting too unbearable. Hit a little bump and the wheel gets jerked out of your hand. I wonder what the scrub radius is.

8. It weighs too much. You can feel the weight holding you back in tight corner (1st and slow 2nd gear corners) transitions. Best to induce power oversteer and pitch it in, or the car will understeer in the sharp transitions.

9. The car sits too tall. Cornering is flat, but you do feel some body lean and it can get floaty over rough pavement.

10. 3rd gear is too tall. 1st and 2nd are okay, but 3rd seems too flat. It needs to go up a tooth or two.

I'm still looking for faults
1) the seat is too small, but you need something smaller?

3) the steering is not going to get any quicker if you make it lighter. Actually, exactly the opposite.

4) this really doesn't have much to do with the fact that the engine is turbocharged so much as the displacement of the engine itself. Get caught in a gear thats too low in some N/A cars like the s2000, and you'll be in the same situation.

5) the compression ratio on the car is actualy pretty low compared to most cars

6) this goes hand it hand with sharp and responsive steering. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, as they say. Were you really intending on tracking this car? I personaly LOVE the sharp steering at the track. No guesswork involved.

8) the car understeers b/c the car is setup that way from the factory. Its safer than oversteer. John Mueller can fix that
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

whoops, looks like strongbear beat me to it while i was typing
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2. My Evo is one of the best maintained car on this forum.

whatever

Last edited by gonzo; Feb 21, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

1. seats perfect... i'm 6'2" 230lbs
2. clutch engagement is fine... clutch quality, is, umm...
3. steering is perfect... p. e. r. f. e. c. t.
4. learn how to drive, so you don't fall out of boost when pushing the car...
5. engine is far from high comp... what do you expect from a car pushing 19lbs of boost stock??? TR is Expected...
6. welcome to the world of Advans, spot on steering communication,finely tuned suspension with the compression of a slab of granite...
7. never had this issue... do some forearm exercises...
8. welcome to the world of AWD Iron-blocked Sedans... it's weight is low centered, so it feels lighter than it actually is to me compared to other AWD performance cars...
9. I'm 6'2", tall = more headroom especially if you track it and need to have a helmet... highth isn't that much of an issue as you can feel most of the weight is down below your waistline...
10. Gearing is fine by my track/mountain pass standards...

I'm still looking for faults too....... (besides the clutch/pressure plate combo and horrid gauge cluster)...
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

I used to have a really good looking girl friend who enjoyed having as much sex as I wanted, never wanted me to spend any money on her and never nagged me

I think the problem with her was I screwed her so much that my ***** became sore

I guess nothing in life is perfect
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alex_alex
whoops, looks like strongbear beat me to it while i was typing
Looks like we were on the same page there. He hates everything that's great about the evo. Go back to your honda, you'll be much happier. Slower but happier.

Quick Reply: 10 things I hate about Evo