Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes all of these...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
That FQ400 should've been stroked with forged internals.
It wasn't designed to be a drag racer! Strokers are fine for low-end torque, but the they sacrifice top-end power. The FQ-400 was designed to be a track and autobahn monster. It's got a free-revving powerplant that should be strong enough to be redlined endlessly for hours.

Emre
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:22 AM
jfh
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dus10
How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes a Garrett turbocharger, an Owen custom-cast stainless steel exhaust manifold, Omega forged pistons, HKS forged con rods, HKS 680cc injectors, a Zytec high-pressure fuel pump, HKS steel head gasket, Motec M800 ECU, HKS iridium spark plugs, a JanSpeed high-flow catalyst, and HKS head and big end bolts?
Other than the Garrett where is the significant difference in performance parts between the FQ-400 and v390? Both include exhaust, fuel pump, and engine management upgrades. The remaining FQ-400 parts are essentially for long-term durability.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dus10
How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes a Garrett turbocharger, an Owen custom-cast stainless steel exhaust manifold, Omega forged pistons, HKS forged con rods, HKS 680cc injectors, a Zytec high-pressure fuel pump, HKS steel head gasket, Motec M800 ECU, HKS iridium spark plugs, a JanSpeed high-flow catalyst, and HKS head and big end bolts?
dus10 as everyone said, you should really read your own words and see the difference here.... vishnu hit peak efficiency there and fq400 is super conservative for warranty sake..... same reason why the stock evo can be modded so easily, its super conservative while the sti is maxed up and already pinging from stock. nuff said.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
dus10 as everyone said, you should really read your own words and see the difference here.... vishnu hit peak efficiency there and fq400 is super conservative for warranty sake..... same reason why the stock evo can be modded so easily, its super conservative while the sti is maxed up and already pinging from stock. nuff said.
what he said
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

the parts in fq400 are not putting out their full potential...and come on its a car out of a factory...not a tuners garage...get that car ova hea...take it 2 vishnu...get it tuned it to full potential...and ull get a LOT more out of it...its all about tuning
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mifesto
Ummm no, the pinging was caused because of timing advancement issues from when the map switched from closed to open loops on the STi (error in programming). There was still a lot more potential, why do you think Shiv was able to extract more power from an already pinging STi safely just by adding an Xede .....

As to why Vishnu can make more power out of a stock EVO, because with more aggressive tuning one shortens the life of engine components. Basically you're getting more power at the cost of longevity. Also the FQ has to meet emission standards .... The FQ is built to give you that longevity and power ...
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IE Evo
Tuned pig rich like most factory cars. No race gas map.

Wrong my friend. The FQ400 cant take anything beside Shell 100 optimum (race gas)

I think its way under tuned for warranty purposes. I wish if Shiv can put his hands on one with Xede and see what the sucker can do.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfh
Other than the Garrett where is the significant difference in performance parts between the FQ-400 and v390? Both include exhaust, fuel pump, and engine management upgrades. The remaining FQ-400 parts are essentially for long-term durability.

Good point. They probably tested that the stock turbo wont live for long time boosting 24~25 PSI so they replaced it with something that can handle more boost but laggier. Maybe I am wrong
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Wrong my friend. The FQ400 cant take anything beside Shell 100 optimum (race gas)

I think its way under tuned for warranty purposes. I wish if Shiv can put his hands on one with Xede and see what the sucker can do.
I guess I could never get one because we do not have Shell 100 optimum in Cali.LOL BTW Since when are we friends?LOL BTW I stand corrected sorry for the misinformation.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

fq400 costs 86$!!! For such money you will have 700hp on 91octane +WI
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar

If the FQ400 comes with a MOTEC EMS, there is no way that a XEDE is gonna improve anything.... My guess is that the car can be tuned more agressively w/o the need to change the EMS... I'm not sure if the FQ400 has a larger displacement engine. If it does, it can definitely make more power than 2.0 EVO engine.......
Old Feb 22, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't Vishnu Tuning have experience with the MOTEC?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I think the fq400 is just like the "regular" Evo in that the parts can handle way more power than it's sold with. It's safe and warrantable, yet immediately upgradeable. In other words, I see it as not an upgraded Evo, but another - higher - platform to jump off of and maximize it's immediate potential...
Old Feb 22, 2005, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jansolo
Doesn't Vishnu Tuning have experience with the MOTEC?
i know who does

http://www.prospeed.nu/videos.asp
Old Feb 22, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by silverEVO8
If the FQ400 comes with a MOTEC EMS, there is no way that a XEDE is gonna improve anything.... My guess is that the car can be tuned more agressively w/o the need to change the EMS... I'm not sure if the FQ400 has a larger displacement engine. If it does, it can definitely make more power than 2.0 EVO engine.......
The FQ400 has a 2L engine ... same displacement ...

Quick Reply: How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes all of these...