Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes all of these...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FQ400 Vs Vishnu tune

I think you're correct in that Vishnu must be getting high performance the easiest way it can and probably at the cost of reliability and the FQ-400 is modded correctly with all the propper beefed up components so as to be a high performance car and also have reliability. Vishnu = Quick Fix FQ-400= Propper Moddification. You're probably right that the FQ-400 is conservatively tuned and why not, if you can get a conservative 400hp instead of a stressed out 400hp then you're doing it right.

I wish I was wrong, I would love to spend $2700.00 and get a reliable 390hp car. I still like the Vishnu stuff but I won't do it without beefing up everything else. I like the idea of Ti con rods and forged pistons anyway...overkill is better than underkill.

And trust me, Exede is no match for a MOTEC.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dus10
I think you're correct in that Vishnu must be getting high performance the easiest way it can and probably at the cost of reliability and the FQ-400 is modded correctly with all the propper beefed up components so as to be a high performance car and also have reliability. Vishnu = Quick Fix FQ-400= Propper Moddification. You're probably right that the FQ-400 is conservatively tuned and why not, if you can get a conservative 400hp instead of a stressed out 400hp then you're doing it right.

I wish I was wrong, I would love to spend $2700.00 and get a reliable 390hp car. I still like the Vishnu stuff but I won't do it without beefing up everything else. I like the idea of Ti con rods and forged pistons anyway...overkill is better than underkill.

No not true we talked a few times with the guys and associated companies that had the contracts for the FQ -400 in terms of hardware and EM. The analysis of a car needing those things to make 400 BHP safely is a misnomer. If controlling the combustion events properly with no det present and the wonderful factory knock, temp, baro corrections for safety and consumer proofing there is no worries. On a block which has proven and will continue to prove astoundingly robust we are barely making a dent in the added stresses of the rotating assembly at 400 BHP. By simple math we can see that if you double the BHP of a car the added stresses of the bottom end with be roughly 33% higher. 400 HP is not even close to doing that, the stressescompared to an otherwise stock car are very acceptable (the same stresses are also acting on the FQ 400s rotating assembly built or not)

So its a matter of why they chose the route they did to make the amount they aimed for. I dont know all the factors they were dealing with in terms of contracts, price points, emissions, laws, warrenty forecasting and profit. It can be done with a few bolt ons or full stand alones and digging into the block. (some would say digging into the block to replace an already wonderful and capable rotating assembly is riskier than just about anything)

As far as the Xede is nothing to a Motec well the fact is the Motec is absolutely not needed and combined with the factory ECUs failsafes There was no reason to use it except to passlock it for no additional tuning. They coulda passlocked the Xede also but not taken away the reflash tuners.

Last edited by David@Vishnu; Feb 22, 2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David@Vishnu
As far as the Xede is nothing to a Motec well the fact is the Motec is absolutely not needed and combined with the factory ECUs failsafes There was no reason to use it except to passlock it for no additional tuning. They coulda passlocked the Xede also but not taken away the reflash tuners.
IIRC, the reason they used the Motec is because the only people who had full access to Mitsubishi's ecu programming was the Mitsubishi WRC team, and Ralliart already has a lot of experience with Motec. Ralliart had to use a standalone system to get the engine management exactly where they wanted it for emissions purposes, plus the Motec uses extensive datalogging to allow Ralliart to determine if a failure should be warrantied or not.
Old May 10, 2005, 08:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
insurance, durability, don't want to get sued.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Curve area, basic math. Taken from a magazine I even despise.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed..._technobabble/

To top it off, from Shiv himself,
Finally - I would really like it if you would post up your dyno sheet a bear number means NOTHING - its the curve that counts and the area under the curve
link

Last edited by mayhem; May 10, 2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Originally Posted by Yaroslav

That car is out of control!!!! any info on it ?
Old May 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IE Evo
Tuned pig rich like most factory cars. No race gas map.
and i believe Clarkson also mentioned something in the ballpark of 4 miles per gallon... miles or kilos, that's still nothing! that's like, filling up just so you can go driving around looking for the next gas station!
Old May 12, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeZaVu
and i believe Clarkson also mentioned something in the ballpark of 4 miles per gallon... miles or kilos, that's still nothing! that's like, filling up just so you can go driving around looking for the next gas station!
Maybe that's when you're pushing it? I don't think it could be that bad on average. With AYC the fuel tank is smaller than ours (I think less than 10 gal.), so on the gas a lot and the range is < 40 miles?

(T_T)
Old May 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

4 miles per litre probably, they don't use gallons over there in the UK (= ~16mpg)
Old May 12, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dus10

I don't agree with you on this. Reliability really isn't an issue with the 1+ setup. You need to look at the AFRs that most of the Stage 1+ setups are putting out (mine were in the 10.7 range) and the fact that the stock motor can handle nearly 600hp before grenading. I fail to see where this tune can be "unreliable". We're talking about a motor that has spent 20 years being revised and improved. Just talk to any of the DSM guys that are putting out 400+ hp on their daily drivers. I bet you a lot of those guys haven't touched the bottom end.

Honestly, I think spending money on building the motor at this stage would be a complete waste of time and money. If you start getting into the area of an aftermarket turbo and big hp numbers...then I'd agree with what you are saying.
Old May 12, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rezo
4 miles per litre probably, they don't use gallons over there in the UK (= ~16mpg)
That seems more likely.
Old May 12, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

i swore he said "4 miles to the gallon"... and they wouldn't say miles, because they use kilometers...
if not, then i suppose...

Last edited by DeZaVu; May 12, 2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

i swore he said "4 miles to the gallon"... and they wouldn't say miles, because they use kilometers...
if not, then i suppose...

You're not crazy, I just watched the vid...he did say gallons and miles as the units of measurement.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Vishnu tuning rules
Old May 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
You're not crazy, I just watched the vid...he did say gallons and miles as the units of measurement.
awesome, so i'm really not deaf?!?

Quick Reply: How can Vishnu get 390HP with very few mods when the FQ-400 takes all of these...