Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

The Best Intercooler? & Why?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XS uses a Tube Header core which is not as good as a Bar & Plate. Size is not the most important thing for a intercooler. It more of a combination of factors, like what kind of exposed surface area you have, how many tubes your core has, the design of the intercooler. The one disadvantage you do have is that ur cooling passages are smaller and shorter. You should check out this link and see if it answers your questions I think they tell you how to identify a tube header vs bar & plate core.

www.niseiengineering.com/Sample.swf
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
hea where do i find a place that sells there fmic i went on there site and can not find a thing could u help me out and thanks for that vidio it was very good
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Yea I thought that video was pretty cool. Very informative. Actually, I bought the ic directly from Nisei. At the very end of the video there was an information page with pricing and contact information. I think they have an AIM SN and a phone number you can call.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

o ok ill watch it again lol
Old Feb 22, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

what is the name of that fmic to if u dont mind
Old Feb 22, 2005, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
4. Look at the EndTank Design. The inlet and endTanks are setup to use the entire core and not just the bottom so in theory it should be more efficient and work very well.
FINALLY!!!! Someone who actually saw the light! Its amazing how few even look at the end tank design and make that a consideration in their choice. This should be one of the first eliminating factors on alot of kits before you even go on to consider other things.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a nice looking fmic.

Last edited by Derek888; Feb 23, 2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Str8Ryda
XS uses a Tube Header core which is not as good as a Bar & Plate. Size is not the most important thing for a intercooler. It more of a combination of factors, like what kind of exposed surface area you have, how many tubes your core has, the design of the intercooler. The one disadvantage you do have is that ur cooling passages are smaller and shorter. You should check out this link and see if it answers your questions I think they tell you how to identify a tube header vs bar & plate core.

www.niseiengineering.com/Sample.swf
not true, the xs is a bar and plate design, when i get a chance( too lazy now), i'll take a pic of the inside: i love my xs fmic, it is big and gets the job done w/o pressure drop:

looks pretty good yeah?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting read... One of the things I've found pretty odd is no one / no vendor has put together an Intercooler/Piping kit setup yet. I've been trying to hold off until a vendor puts together a complete kit... does anyone know if it exists yet?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:22 AM

When I saw this thread right after watching the (pretty good) nisei sales pitch video I felt like it was groundhog day - the "perfect question" to the "answer" I just looked at... Even the poster looked familiar with the same "first post", joined in february, name in camel back notation... I had to go back to check that it was a different user name

So I've just been kind'a curious when and how Str8Ryda would answer this question - just kind'a funny; even if it is coincidence
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sneakychaos
Interesting read... One of the things I've found pretty odd is no one / no vendor has put together an Intercooler/Piping kit setup yet. I've been trying to hold off until a vendor puts together a complete kit... does anyone know if it exists yet?

http://www.evo8.com/?page=shop/flypa...2c7357a8387dcb
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
not true, the xs is a bar and plate design, when i get a chance( too lazy now), i'll take a pic of the inside: i love my xs fmic, it is big and gets the job done w/o pressure drop:

looks pretty good yeah?
Hello Mrbkkt1,

I just wanted to say I understand where your coming from, and I can appreciate that your a supporter of XS, but please allow me to be down for my fmic. I don't want to be a hater or cause any problems. I posted what I did for EVO_Slayer.. and I was just trying to let him/her know what my experience was trying to locate a intercooler. The link I originally posted was because I thought it was cool and informative. I didn't mean to step on anyones toes... so for that I apologize.

Now on to what I don't appreciate... I'm not a hater by any means but... If I'm going to be called out... and told that I"m wrong... then I feel as though I've got my honor to protect.

I hate to inform you that I stand by what I stated.. regarding XS's fmic. It is a "Tube & Fin" core not a "Bar & Plate". Technically it is a "Tube & Header" since all intercooler come with fins.

You have Derek888 to thank for proving you wrong. I have Derek to thank for displaying the link for XS Engineerings fmic. In the link if you save the photo, zoom in approximately 5-9 times, it clearly show it has a "header flange" which comfirms that it is a "Tube & Header" fmic.

Here is the link Derek888 posted - http://www.evo8.com/?page=shop/flyp...22c7357a8387dcb

To further confirm it is a "Tube & Fin / Header" fmic here is a link for XS Engineering where they state their cores are "Tube & Fin". From the home page goto XS Intercoolers, then on the right side of the page click on the XS Power I/C. It reads :"PowerI/C cores utilize state of the art tube & fin type construction."

http://www.xs-engineering.com/

Last edited by Str8Ryda; Feb 23, 2005 at 12:35 PM. Reason: reads funny
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
FINALLY!!!! Someone who actually saw the light! Its amazing how few even look at the end tank design and make that a consideration in their choice. This should be one of the first eliminating factors on alot of kits before you even go on to consider other things.

Eric, that's the same reason I would go with the AMS i/c.

The stk intercooler has the end tanks designed the same way.

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; Feb 23, 2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a quick joke

STOCK IC is the best

cuz you get to keep your warrenty
Old Feb 23, 2005, 04:17 PM

i got an Apex intercooler! which is very small compare to others.

Quick Reply: The Best Intercooler? & Why?