Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why Mobil 1 oil for our Evos?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by V8 HUNTR
in my opinion Mobil 1 is one of the best oil's on the market today. The only oil that i like more is AMSoil, because it is the ONLY fully synthetic oil on the market.

- Taylor
yea, mobil 1 is fully synthetic.

Wonder why no one has done a really extensive test on oils.
I cant remember seeing anything in mags.... or online
Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, here's a little primer on synthetic oil.

There are two ways to make synthetic oil. The first is to use a base stock consisting of one or more synthetic lubricants such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs), esters, alkylated naphthalene (AN), etc. This is the original, "fully synthetic" method that Mobil 1 used to use.

The second method is to take petroleum-based feed stock (regular dino oil) and react it with hydrogen to break the longer hydrocarbon chains (grease-like oils and waxes) into shorter chains more suitable for lubricating. This is called hydrocracking and hydroisomerization. This is the "new" synthetic method that Castrol introduced with the reformulated Syntec, and that Mobil 1 now uses.

Traditional dino oils are produced by distilling crude oil. The resulting oil is heavily contaminated with longer- and shorter-chain hydrocarbons that hinder its lubrication performance.

The first method produces a slightly better (cleaner, more uniform) product, but costs about twice as much. Either synthetic method will produce a superior product to distillation. Whether the difference between synthetic and cracked-base stock is worth the price difference is much less certain since both seem to have similar performance characteristics.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:58 PM

i went through a BIG ordeal with my oil & what type should be used.. i took my evo in for service... i got home read the service write up & it said they used 5 qt. of VALVOLINE i was furious & it was after hours so i boiled on it all night. 8:00 am the next day i called the OWNER of the dealership (who just happens to own a mr himself) and he assured me that it not only was ok, but it outperformed moibil 1. still i went back & got my oil switched out for some mobil 1. if it ain't broke don't fix it
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

interesting....
when did mobil 1 stop doing the fully synthetic thing...
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Slowride] polyalphaolefins (PAOs), esters, alkylated naphthalene (AN),QUOTE]

oh yea... arent these made from "dino" oil
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hutch959
interesting....
when did mobil 1 stop doing the fully synthetic thing...
Shortly after they lost their suit against Castrol.

A couple years ago they had what they called TriSyn, which probably contained PAOs, esters, and hydrocracked base stocks. Then they went to SuperSyn, which they said "included PAOs". Don't know much about their current formulation or the new "Extended Performance".
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hutch959
Originally Posted by Slowride
polyalphaolefins (PAOs), esters, alkylated naphthalene (AN),
oh yea... arent these made from "dino" oil
The feedstock for the process might be a petroleum product, but they're produced by chemical synthesis--hence the name "synthetic". The feed stock is just a convenient source of hydrogen and carbon atoms. None of the impurities in crude oil are carried over to synthetic lubricants as they are in distillation.

Last edited by Slowride; Feb 23, 2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

I use royal purple.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

all i know is my dad 93 suburban has 385,000 miles on it (original everything except tranny) and the only oil hes ever put into that car was mobil 1, so ill stick with that
Old Feb 23, 2005, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

That is right Mobil 1 10w-30 has a HTHS of 2.9 the low side of a 30w. The TBN is only 5.0 The Evo shears the oil down to a 20w, not good for bearings. Look for a full-synthetic that has a HTHS of 3.5 or higher that will meet ACEA A3 specs. hard to find without going to a 40w. This is sort of a pickle for me I want to keep my Warranty and Mitsu wants xx-30W. I am looking at Synergyn 3w-30 or Amsoil 10w-30. I was using 5w-40 A3 spec oil, but trying to find a thick 30w that will stay in grade. The EVO is very hard on oil.

Originally Posted by dryad001
I just started using Motul. The Mobil 1 I was using came out like water.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've been using Royal Purple in my Evo. Works just fine for me!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigmike9726
all i know is my dad 93 suburban has 385,000 miles on it (original everything except tranny) and the only oil hes ever put into that car was mobil 1, so ill stick with that
My uncle has an IH stake truck with over a million miles on it. He only uses cheap crap 30W k-mart oil in it. I won't stick with that. I would like to use the ester based Motul if I could find it here in Orange county.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
It's kinda weird because alot of my fellow Evo owners are very religious when they change their oil and only use Mobil 1. I get the same answer: " it came from the factory so we use it" But there are other synthetic oils out there so why not use them. Yet when it comes to changing their spark plugs, they don't buy the one that came from the factory. Instead they buy less expensive NGK or Denso plugs. Why? If they are so adamant about the "it came from the factory" idea then why not everything else?

Just curious.
That is what the factory recommends. You can use other brands as long as it meets the required synthetic oil rating/certifications as stated in the owners manual.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Most of the high-end cars that require Mobil 1 do it for the same reason, emissions testing. The first test sample is captured during the first 505 seconds of the run. Regular oil takes too long to get to operating viscosity. The hydrocarbon emissions (HC) standard is where the Evo needs help too. Look at the boost friendly squish area in the head. Some of fuel trapped in between the band and the piston will not completely burn.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

castrol > mobil 1

See page 159...

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

Quick Reply: Why Mobil 1 oil for our Evos?