Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why Mobil 1 oil for our Evos?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Mobil 1 oil for our Evos?

It's kinda weird because alot of my fellow Evo owners are very religious when they change their oil and only use Mobil 1. I get the same answer: " it came from the factory so we use it" But there are other synthetic oils out there so why not use them. Yet when it comes to changing their spark plugs, they don't buy the one that came from the factory. Instead they buy less expensive NGK or Denso plugs. Why? If they are so adamant about the "it came from the factory" idea then why not everything else?

Just curious.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

they recommend you using it. as for the plugs i still use the ngk plugs
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, Mobil 1 is one of the best synthetics out there. If you compare what’s in Mobil 1 to other synthetics Mobil 1 normally comes out on top. It also has to do what is readily available in an EVO owner’s area. Yeah, there may be better oil out there like Motul v300, but it is hard to come by and expensive. Where as with Mobil 1, you can walk into most Wal-Mart’s and buy a 5qt jug for a little under 20 dollars. Mobil 1 is also factory fill on a lot of high-end cars made by Porsche BMW, etc. Some may say that its all marketing but these oils have to pass tests done by the manufactures in order to be used in their engines.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spark plugs and oil are certainly not apples to apples. Oil is primarily protective and plugs are part of the mechanical operating system of the engine and changing them will have noticeable effects depending on mods. For the money, Mobil 1 is the most protective oil that doesn't compromise performance. I use it in my race cars.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

in my opinion Mobil 1 is one of the best oil's on the market today. The only oil that i like more is AMSoil, because it is the ONLY fully synthetic oil on the market.

- Taylor
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

mobil 1 is the best
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ex-honda
It's kinda weird because alot of my fellow Evo owners are very religious when they change their oil and only use Mobil 1. I get the same answer: " it came from the factory so we use it" But there are other synthetic oils out there so why not use them. Yet when it comes to changing their spark plugs, they don't buy the one that came from the factory. Instead they buy less expensive NGK or Denso plugs. Why? If they are so adamant about the "it came from the factory" idea then why not everything else?

Just curious.
How often do you change your spark plugs compared to engine oil? Engine oil is one of the first things, but not the only thing, that a mechanic will look at to determine the integrity of an engine. yeah there are other synthetics out there, but since a number of manufacturers are using it, why not be safe?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Castrol Full Syn & NGK gapped at .26 works just as good as stockola..
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8 HUNTR
in my opinion Mobil 1 is one of the best oil's on the market today. The only oil that i like more is AMSoil, because it is the ONLY fully synthetic oil on the market.

- Taylor
Mobil 1 is fully synthetic, too...
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
i used to use castrol syntec in my old cars, and then found out it is NOT a true synthetic. it is a mineral oil that has been treated to last longer like a synthetic. mobile one is a true synthetic as is amsoil, royal purple etc.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's really how they treat the oil. I forgot what they put in or how they process it but that determines how well the viscosity and the prolongness of the oil is going to be.

I think mobile 1 and amsoil are trusted, because they spent a lot of money on R&D.

but I used Valvoline and they seem to work as well, can't really tell the difference when changing the oil out or how the car feels.

I think the only validation is that mobile 1 will last a bit longer protecting your oil at higher operating temp or in a severe driving conditions, like road racing.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I just started using Motul. The Mobil 1 I was using came out like water.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
I just started using Motul. The Mobil 1 I was using came out like water.
hmmm care to explain
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
i hope u know thatcastrol syn is not a real synthetic, mobil one even took them to court over it
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

As many have said, it is generally the easiest and most cost effective option available. As long as you meet the specifications called for in the owner’s manual you can put whatever brand name you want in the car. My understanding is that Mobile pays to have their name on the oil cap. Whether they pay in money or free oil to Mitsubishi is not know.

Best wishes,
f86sabre

Quick Reply: Why Mobil 1 oil for our Evos?