Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving on the ice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005 | 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Next event will be next sunday assuming we have enough ice. We usually know by friday (guy goes out and drills) so check the site to see if it's cancelled or not (www.fvscc.com).

Today was a blast, plenty of ice. Forcast looks like good ice making cold weather for at least the first part of next week so we should be good.
Old Feb 27, 2005 | 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k.lowe
sounds like a great town

jk
LOL, i know, it is a pretty hick county. Thats why its just my lakehouse.
Old Feb 28, 2005 | 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Driving on ice with EVO sure is best thing a man can do with pants on!
Here´s me and my EVO 8 having some fun: www.pugi.info/evo3.jpg

Originally Posted by nnorris7413
t....well.....that is except for me burning up my clutch like crazy (i need a new one soon anyways)
What did you do to burn your clutch on ice? Ice driving should be quite gentle to transmission.

Sorry for my lousy english, it ain't my native language as you propably noticed...
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FinEVO8
Driving on ice with EVO sure is best thing a man can do with pants on!
Here´s me and my EVO 8 having some fun: www.pugi.info/evo3.jpg

What did you do to burn your clutch on ice? Ice driving should be quite gentle to transmission.

Sorry for my lousy english, it ain't my native language as you propably noticed...
doing donuts and high rev launches
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Wearing out a clutch on ice is also possible when the tires slip on the ice, but then you get traction on snow for a second.

The below picture is from when I was ice racing in Steamboat Springs, CO at a private track rental from the Bridgestone Winter Driving School. Drive out from NY for this every year and it's well worth it. Mostly Audi Quattro's there, but hopefully we can get some of you guys out west to play as well!

http://www.betterbuildingservices.co...oSteamboat.jpg

Last edited by 4G63>OOOO; Mar 2, 2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

im still trying to convince my parents to let me go ice racing. Theyre pretty scared of the idea seeing as how im only 16, but i think i would be able to handle it just fine.
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

im still trying to convince my parents to let me go ice racing. Theyre pretty scared of the idea seeing as how im only 16, but i think i would be able to handle it just fine.
The weather is looking good for ice racing this weekend. This one may be the last one of the year.
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds fun
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

wow you guys are really bored aren't you? otherwise sounds fun

yeah, a foot of ice is a hell of a lot stronger than you would think. Each year my lake has a contest where they put an old pickup truck out on the ice and leave it there. Everybody pays like $5 to guess a day and time, and if the pickup falls through on your day/time then you win all the money. It usually doesnt fall through until the ice is only a couple of inches thick, and thats with a 5000+ lb truck. So yeah, a foot of ice is certainly thick enough.
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

i once went outon the ice with my 99 trans am ram air about 450hp with a few mods to say the least it was fun
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

i should look into some Michigan events cuz this sounds like hella fun!
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
Wearing out a clutch on ice is also possible when the tires slip on the ice, but then you get traction on snow for a second.

The below picture is from when I was ice racing in Steamboat Springs, CO at a private track rental from the Bridgestone Winter Driving School. Drive out from NY for this every year and it's well worth it. Mostly Audi Quattro's there, but hopefully we can get some of you guys out west to play as well!
If your clutch is in ok condition, traction from snow should definitely not burn your clutch.

What kind of tyres were you using in driving school? I use studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4:s in everyday driving. Provides unbelievable grip at the track also!
Attached Thumbnails Driving on the ice-evotyres1.jpg   Driving on the ice-evotyres2.jpg  
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FinEVO8
If your clutch is in ok condition, traction from snow should definitely not burn your clutch.

What kind of tyres were you using in driving school? I use studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4:s in everyday driving. Provides unbelievable grip at the track also!
When you're spinning the tires most of the way through 3rd gear and all of a sudden they grab, while it might not kill the clutch, it sure as hell can't be good for it!

I was using 205/60/15 Blizzak WS-50's for that track. They don't allow studs at Bridgestone, but the WS-50's weren't too bad for a nonstudded snow/ice tire. The Nokian RSi is one to look out for, as well. All the ice grip of a WS-50, but with better road manners.

Yes, I did say 15's.
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

When you're spinning the tires most of the way through 3rd gear and all of a sudden they grab, while it might not kill the clutch, it sure as hell can't be good for it!
Ok, agreed. If you were spinning the tires mos tof the way through 3rd gear you obviusly would have needed more grip . I tried 1/8 mile launch on snow covered ice several times and got decent grip well before shifting to 3rd. Unfostunately due to the insurance policies it wasn't timed, but speed was about 140 km/h (you do the math). I think it's quite impressive, and I got beaten only by another Evo

Yes, I did say 15's.
They dithced the Brembos or what?
Old Mar 2, 2005 | 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Only ditched the Brembo's on the front. Got a set of UK Spec gravel RS calipers and used a 2g rotor and pads. Even then I JUST had enough clearance and it did rub on the inner tie rod at full lock, but that's more a question of using the proper wheel offset than the brake setup.

Quick Reply: Driving on the ice