Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu Techs....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mitsu Techs....

So since I haven't seen a mitsu sucks thread for a while I figured I'd stir up the pot a bit and maybe have a laugh too...

So what's the most retarded thing a mitsu tech has tried to tell you about our cars?

Here's mine : Last year I was having issues with the car stumbling and stalling when moving forward in slow moving traffic (I since seem to have fixed it myself). After a bit of discussion about what the cause was here's what the tech told me.

At traffic lights they use magnetic sensors under the road to sense when a car is waiting at the lights (I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but I can buy it). This magnet interferes with the ecu in the car when you pass over it slowly causing the car to want to die...
The real problem turned out to be a bunch of loose intercooler hose clamps.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoL
Old Feb 27, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
At traffic lights they use magnetic sensors under the road to sense when a car is waiting at the lights (I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but I can buy it).
They actually do have magnetic strips under the road to see when you roll up. Thats what makes the light know when to turn red the other way.

But, If an ECU is being messed up by a small magnetic strip in the road, there are very, very big problems. I cant believe that he would try to tell you that. I would have probably just laughed in his face and walked away.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:34 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There's a wire in the road (that square you sometimes see cut into the asphalt) that's in a closed loop with a specific level of voltage running through it. When your car pulls up over it (which emits its own electrical field), it causes a brief fluctuation in the voltage of the closed loop, thus telling the signal that a car is waiting.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

True ...In a sense. Here in NY there called "smart lights". We have them only on some secondary roads so that the primary roads can flow more freely without having to needlessly stop traffic on a timer for nonexistent waiting cars. This is a passive system that does use magnets but I doubt that these magnets are strong enough to interfere with a cars ECU. But than again under certain situations ...you never know.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I must be the only person with a GOOD technician.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Don't feel too proud. I had a Service Manager tell me that 1st and reverse share the same synchro.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BMan
Don't feel too proud. I had a Service Manager tell me that 1st and reverse share the same synchro.
The shift quality of the Evo trans in relation to a ZF or Getrag is so poor that I was convinced this car didn't have any synchros. If they do, they are shaped like Legos.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well like I said I could buy the magnet under the road thing although I thought they would use weight sensors...

Just think, any all aluminum car would be sitting waiting for ever
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

working at mitsubishi was my first job in the field and holy crap, every one there is clueless. There is no order, they treat peoples cars like **** (racing them around when they're done, dropping parts,etc.), and i never saw anyone use All Data or even a manual, and more cars come back worse than when they left the bay. I have seen some ****, i kid you not.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
working at mitsubishi was my first job in the field and holy crap, every one there is clueless. There is no order, they treat peoples cars like **** (racing them around when they're done, dropping parts,etc.), and i never saw anyone use All Data or even a manual, and more cars come back worse than when they left the bay. I have seen some ****, i kid you not.
Youre in MA right? What dealership was it. MA does have at least one good dealer; Herb Connolly Mitsubishi is outstanding and their service department is top notch.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
Well like I said I could buy the magnet under the road thing although I thought they would use weight sensors...

Just think, any all aluminum car would be sitting waiting for ever

I think the steel belts in your tires set it off.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Youre in MA right? What dealership was it. MA does have at least one good dealer; Herb Connolly Mitsubishi is outstanding and their service department is top notch.
Boch mitsubishi on the automile.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

I took my "00" Eclipse in becasue the trans would grind if I shifted from thrid to fifth. This is the second tran.s problem, the first was with less than 500 miles on the car. I take the tech. out and demonstrate. He tells me that he doesnt think he can fix it becasue they all do that. The servivce writer puts into the computer that the tech "instructed the owner on the proper use of the transmission."

I look at the work order and ask to see the service manager. The smgr. tells me that he has to go with what his"factory trained tech." tells him. I tell the smgr. that I need to have him document that there is in fact a grind when shifting up into 5th from 3rd so that I can go to another dealer to get the fault corrected. I explain that it is common to use 3rd when passing and there is no reason to have to shift throuh 4th before going into 5th.

Getting no where witht he tech service writer or smgr, I proceed to the general manager's office. The service mgr. heads me off and asks why I am so upset with them. I say "I have a car that doesn't work and a contract that states you must repair it yet you refuse, I intend to get it in writing as to why this is so." The smgr. now asks me to let him see the problem, so I take him for a ride and demonstrate it. He can't dispute the problem nor can he justify its existance.

After three months the tran.s was repaired. Now there is a new tran.s tech., a new service writer, and the dealer traded me out of the car for my Evo by giving me 500 over high book and taking 500 off of the Evo's MSR after dropping the added 3k mark up. The service department changed out my clutch and f/w at no labor when the 5th gear syncro sleeve was replaced under warranty last Fall.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
Boch mitsubishi on the automile.
I agree, Boch ****ing sucks, the GM of the Mitsu department is a rude *******.