Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: removing the tri-diamond splitter from the grill
good idea
33.83%
eh
33.08%
bad idea
33.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

good idea/bad idea - you vote

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evolute
that's another reason i did it - not everyone would take the time to do this or spend the money to have someone do it. i'm going to enjoy having something done to my car that i honestly think looks good and that not everyone else has.

don't get me wrong - i'm certainly not for doing something just because no one else has...that's how you get things like evo wings on BMWs. i just like the aftermarket bumpers that removed the splitter, but i also really just like the OEM one. so i figure, why not have the best of 3 worlds: stock bumper, aftermarket bumper, original style bumper

plus, it keeps me busy
i always say do to your car because its your car <edit explative> what anybody else likes

Last edited by Fourdoor; Feb 27, 2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: got around profanity monitor
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Be careful useing fiberglass to repair your bumper. 2different materials,will expand
and contract differently. 3m makes good bumper repair products,hate to see all
your work look like hell in 6mths .Buy the way looks good.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

explative in quoted post

Originally Posted by k.lowe
i always say do to your car because its your car <edit for explative> what anybody else likes
me too - that's why i put up the disclaimer about how i am doing this, not asking permission to do this.

Last edited by Fourdoor; Feb 27, 2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FLAEVO
Be careful useing fiberglass to repair your bumper. 2different materials,will expand
and contract differently. 3m makes good bumper repair products,hate to see all
your work look like hell in 6mths .Buy the way looks good.
thanks - that is the one fear i have about doing this...i'm basiclly just praying it doesn't split in half at any point
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Different is good, especially since you already decided to make it your own. I'm not sure about losing that beautiful intercooler by painting it black, but the front bumper stands out. It's an expression of your personality, and originality is unbeatable! Rock out.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverStreak
Different is good, especially since you already decided to make it your own. I'm not sure about losing that beautiful intercooler by painting it black, but the front bumper stands out. It's an expression of your personality, and originality is unbeatable! Rock out.
ya, i'm not sure about losing the IC either - but if i did it i would use that spray that helps dissipate heat so that i could at least gain performance. oh, and thanks for the support
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

^ You seem to be going about things the right way, so I never doubted you would use anything but the dissipating spray. Post pics when you're done. I think it may help people to see the final product.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

^ another thing too is that if i don't like the way the stock IC looks blacked out, i can just not black out the high flow one i get down the road
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't like the stock splitter, but that space looks too empty for me without it. I think that if the hood didn't hang over in that area it would look better without the splitter.....

If you are going for the sleeper look than blacking out the FMIC is a great idea... otherwise I think it looks better with the FMIC silver.

How about putting a big honkin air intake box in that now empty area linked up to the stock intake snorkle?

Keith
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I like all the people who hate that front splitter... without it, the car looks ghetto, unless you put a new hood/front bumper on... That emblem is stupid, yeah, but without it, the car just isn't a cool car anymore... without it and A LOT of other changes, then you have a 7... or a 9, and you're set
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

looks good man, would i do it? maybe if i had a new body kit that came that way, but who cares what i think as long as u like it.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:48 PM

I think, you're making your car look ugly.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I really can't decide if I like it or not.... But that really doesn't matter.

It gives the front end a kind of stacked look, with the IC opening duplicated right under the hood.

The most important thing is you are going to have a personalization that is totally your own, from design through execution...
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
as much as i hate the splitter you really need something there because now it looks too schnozzy... try putting the floating diamonds... that should remedy things.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:07 PM

Quick Reply: good idea/bad idea - you vote