Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

JDM MR headlight question?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM MR headlight question?

All of the sites that sell the JDM Evo MR headlights say that they are plug and play accept for the fog light which needs the connector changed. What connector does the JDM fog light use and can you just splice the old connector off of the stock Evo fog light onto it to make it work?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to help you out here so you don't get the big "SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND"

Here's a right up I did awhile back:

Nov 1, 2004, 03:29 PM #7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this thread means alot to me as well I got on the case and did a good investigation.
I just spoke with a guy who works at IntakeOne.com and this is what he told me to do, to make the JDM MR Headlights work in the Spec. US MR Evo. As above, one of are members suggested buying a Nokya 9006 harness. He was right on point. Heres what we have to do if you want it done the right way, and not jimmy rigged. You have to buy this part, that comes in a pair, and select 9006 as your choice: http://www.intakeone.com/Light_bulbs/NokyaCombo.html

Once you have this, either try it yourself, or go to your dealer or someone who is good with wiring and have them cut your H11 outputs from with inside your Evo, and then rewire the 9006 adapter in its place so it will fit the JDM 9006 bulb holder on the housing. It's that simple.
Myself, since I'm not that good, I will take it to someone and have them do it.

But in a nut shell that's it. Just to be clear, when you buy the item, it's sold as a pair, so just pick 9006 and your color bulb of choice, and you’re done.

Hope this helps guys.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

You're better off doing it yourself. The dealer will charge you labor by the hour. This will include taking off the undertray, taking off the front bumper, removing the headlight housings, cutting off the H11 harnesses, reconnecting the 9006 harnesses, installing the bulbs, reinstalling the headlight housings, reinstalling the bumper and reinstalling the undertray. All of this can be done with a set of simple hand tools and a ramp/jackstands if you must. The dealership will milk you.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up getting a friend at a shop to do it for $50.00. I just brought him the supplies. Well worth it to me... Saved me the trouble
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well theres only 2 wires on each foglight. You can just splice them up. Positive and negative. Done.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

or you can get yours painted to look like the MR ones...talk to EvoDave I think he does what I think you are tryin to do. He quoted me a price that is less than half of what I have seen new MR headlights go for. good luck
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo Police
I'm going to help you out here so you don't get the big "SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND"

Here's a right up I did awhile back:

Nov 1, 2004, 03:29 PM #7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this thread means alot to me as well I got on the case and did a good investigation.
I just spoke with a guy who works at IntakeOne.com and this is what he told me to do, to make the JDM MR Headlights work in the Spec. US MR Evo. As above, one of are members suggested buying a Nokya 9006 harness. He was right on point. Heres what we have to do if you want it done the right way, and not jimmy rigged. You have to buy this part, that comes in a pair, and select 9006 as your choice: http://www.intakeone.com/Light_bulbs/NokyaCombo.html

Once you have this, either try it yourself, or go to your dealer or someone who is good with wiring and have them cut your H11 outputs from with inside your Evo, and then rewire the 9006 adapter in its place so it will fit the JDM 9006 bulb holder on the housing. It's that simple.
Myself, since I'm not that good, I will take it to someone and have them do it.

But in a nut shell that's it. Just to be clear, when you buy the item, it's sold as a pair, so just pick 9006 and your color bulb of choice, and you’re done.

Hope this helps guys.
So these are really plug-n-play? They have the HID motors and other stuff already attached to them?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:40 AM

I'm confused. I am getting ready to buy JDM MR headlights, you're saying that the fog light connection will not work on my 03 evo??
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonic40
I'm confused. I am getting ready to buy JDM MR headlights, you're saying that the fog light connection will not work on my 03 evo??
The fog light that fits the JDM housing is a 9006 and the USDM light is a H11, so you need to change the plug on your car to a 9006 bulb type. The link posted above is a company that sells the plug you need.