Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How much are you paying over sticker for your EVO'S?
MSRP?
66.96%
$0-$999 over?
13.04%
$1,000-$2,000 over?
12.17%
$3,000-$4,000 over?
5.22%
$5,000- $10,000 over? (what are ya nuts?!)
2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

What are people prepared to pay for EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:19 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my story:

I was first promised MSRP and the sales guy said to come down and do the paper work. When push comes to shove the manager said $1000 over msrp b/c they dont' know how many they are getting a year ago. I didnt' want to pay 1 cent over but they cut it down to $500 with a choice of first pick color cars and etc, on their lot period which was hard to refuse. Most dealer at that time didn't want to lock me in a contract or they already have people on the list. I wanted to be number 1, so I thought every dealer at least will have one car and I wanted to be gauarnteed. I guess I could of got MSRP but wouldn't been #1 on the list. The dealership knows i wanted to be the first and that was the price to pay. Some people here probably think i'm an idiot giving the dealership $500 but yes it is worth that much even if it's a month eariler.

I will be frustrated if the STI weights under 3300lbs. If my watered down evo can't compete i will sell it for an sti next year this time. I'm willing to loose $2500-3500 for one year of driving with is pretty cheap when you think around $280 a month. Who knows maybe an evo with ACD and LSD? Thanks to I have to go thru all the hassle because they coundn't do it right the first time unlike some other manufacture who could.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 03:24 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
less than list?

You are paying less than list?? Who are you, Han Solo? Are you a Jedi Knight?
Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:29 PM

i also called around,,, the midwest is anywhere from 1500, 5000 over sticker . However i think a mist. place in st. louis is giving a 500 discount?

I got mine in a msrp........

I really want to see this car tested in a magazine like really soon!

If its anything less then incredible, i might get my money back and look at somthing like a vw gti(for 21k).
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Re: less than list?

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
You are paying less than list?? Who are you, Han Solo? Are you a Jedi Knight?
why yes...yes i am a jedi knight...how am i paying less than list you ask?...simple...by waiting ...and not falling to the dark side...
Old Jan 19, 2003, 01:49 AM

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading stuff on here for the past year.

I'm surprised when I hear that many people are willing to pay over MSRP for a popular car... only thing I can think of when I hear that is... DAMN you must have some serious cash on hand that is burning a hole in your pocket to wanna be the first kid on your block with an Evo. That's a pretty hefty premium to pay for something. Considering that MSRP is already a rip off.

Anyways, I personally wanna wait till 2004 to see what cars come out (not only between the EVO and STI) but for other manufacturers as well. Plus working in software engineering and seeing how production cycles/shipping dates/product revisions work for my field... The last thing I would want is a first year production car even if the only thing they change was the dome light from the previous version (even on a car that has been called stable after 7 revisions).

Plus it really bugs me that the Japanese always keep their good models on there own turf whenever they introduce a car. I’m glad that we are getting something, but I’m frowning on the practice of the watered down version for the US. Once the dust settles in 2004 for most of the nice new cars to come to our shores and the features/prices are determined I’ll make my choice of what is probably going to be the best overall deal. But holding out seems to usually be the best bet for those who like to play it safe (IMHO).

I just like to play it safe, because I don’t want to be left holding the bag on a high priced (over MSRP) car and then have the dealerships slam the value like they did with the Supra’s or get a first year production car problem like the 2001-2003 M3’s spun bearing/over rev issues and have the dealership blame me for there defects.)

Faz-man
Old Jan 19, 2003, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

I took my deposit back from my local dealer because they're charging $10K over MSRP Almost all of the SoCal dealers that I've talk to are charging at least $5K over, so I'm going to wait, or just buy a G35 coupe or STi, cuz I'm not going to pay 1 cent over for this car.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

I have a feeling that by the time we reach the end of 2004, alot of things will have changed.

There seem to be so many variables out in the wind that who knows how things will end up?

If the FQ package becomes dime a dozen with EVO owners, then at least for HP sake, the STi and EVO FQ will be really close.

Also, what if Mitsu decides to get off their deaf *** and put in all the diff goodies and 6 speed tranny in a "special edition" car?

The biggest thing so far that has the obvious favor right now going for it is the 2.5 motor in the STi... the reason I say that is because I would personally be shocked if Mitsu had the ***** to drop in a 2.4 (4g64) motor in the EVO. I really think that will be the hardest thing to get out of Mitsu!
Old Jan 19, 2003, 07:16 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, i'm really consdering the sti when it comes out later this year. I'll probably sell my evo in a years time or less if the STI has proven superior.

As for prediction. I'm guessing:
1. turbo charged 4G93 on new evo?
2. Galent Twin turbo engine in next evo?

If we get option #2 subaru will get blown away in the horsepower war. If can sell the volume maybe we get it for under 35K with ACD super AYC optional of course .
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

I am paying MSRP for my 2003 Evo, and not a penny more

there is a part of me that wants to wait for the next MY Evo, but I have been through this before... if you wait for the next best thing, you will never end up with anything. and for the extra cash the goodies I want & expect on the 04 MY Evo I can do myself and (mainly HP & suspension mods - i don't care about active drivetrain) and have the satisfaction of knowing I worked on my car.

my 2 cents
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

I was *TOLD* that I was going to get MSRP. That is no longer the case for many dealers.

I will say the name: MAX MADSEN MITSUBISHI in Chicagoland.

I went there this past weekend and spoke to the manager. He told me it is impossible for me to get the car at MSRP, and the *VALUE* of the car will be determined at the time of delivery because it is a limited production vehicle. I tried to explain to him that it wasn't limited, and he told me to come back in 2 months and maybe they can talk MSRP.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

I will be paying a few hundred UNDER MSRP, on my Yellow Evo Feb 25 allocated vehicle.

SC
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fazman
Plus it really bugs me that the Japanese always keep their good models on there own turf whenever they introduce a car. I’m glad that we are getting something, but I’m frowning on the practice of the watered down version for the US.
Faz-man
I wouldn't immediatly chew off japanese, because US is the ones with the regulations. Do you think they wanted to added the front wieght bumper.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:29 PM

This is my first reply so bare with me

>I wouldn't immediatly chew off japanese, because US is the ones with the regulations. Do you think they wanted to added the front wieght bumper.

Well they are also not bringing out all the gadgets AYC/ACD. I understand they can't bring the car out exactly like the JDM version (They don't use OBD-II?). But if there are no regulations for the gadgets (ie: AYC/ACD) then they should also be able to put it on the car. Otherwise they are holding out? I'd say they should at least offer it is optional equipment so we can choose if we want it or not. But that adds to more assembly line complexity and configurations which may cut down on profits?

- Fazman
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by -=DimSum=-
or even a WRX.
Not a bad choice. It'll also be interesting to see what the MSRP on the STi turns out to be. $30k? $32k? $35k?

I'm definitely in on an STi if its $30k, but ~$32 seems most likely. $35k would make me wait a year and consider an Evo or WRX.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian

I wouldn't immediatly chew off japanese, because US is the ones with the regulations. Do you think they wanted to added the front wieght bumper.
damn straight... if MMC thought they could make money from the previous versions of the Evo they would have brought them over... same thing with the Lotus Elise, TVRs, Skylines etc etc etc

Most people in the US don't (and shouldn't be allowed) to drive high performace cars. All we (as American's) want is bigger and more comfortable SUVs, trucks, and Mini Vans - and sales numbers back this up.

the only reason we are getting cars like the Evo, WRX, R32, Skyline (Hopefully!) is because there is a new generation of drivers that want powerful affordable cars, just like our dads did in the sixties.

Quick Reply: What are people prepared to pay for EVO??