Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Racing on highway = criminal violation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have to get a lawyer if you don't want to spend time in jail. It happened to me I paid the lawyer $1500 plus the parking ticket that they made me pay $300 and no record for illegal racing so my advice is GET A LAWYER!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eddybear
You got yourself into this mess by exercising bad judgement. There is a price to be paid for every decision in life. Welcome to the real world.

EB
Yeah, and your parents exercised poor judgement.

FWIW, the only infraction on the ticket is "racing on highway" - I wasn't clocked by laser or radar, and I'd guess I was pushing 60 in a 45 to get past this guy... that and the fact that I'm an old guy in my thirties and have only one prior ticket (for 39 in a 30, blah) - should serve me well.

Having said that, I will still be talking to an attorney today - thanks for the offer from the guy in Santa Monica, but I'm in FL.

I'll let you guys know how it pans out, and thanks for the constructive feedback.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

I would say that you should try to use that you are in your thirties to your advantage and explain to the judge that your not a race car driver and you drive a 4 cylender 4 door. (hopefully he knows nothing about cars)
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LEVIII
I would say that you should try to use that you are in your thirties to your advantage and explain to the judge that your not a race car driver and you drive a 4 cylender 4 door. (hopefully he knows nothing about cars)
wow could that one backfire fast.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, get a lawyer, for sure. Then, do what LEVIII suggests, get the lawyer to point out that you are in your 30s and that he was racing you, and you were not racing him back. Hopefully judge does not know what your car is. Don't volunteer any information about the capabilities of your car.

Originally Posted by LEVIII
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

get an attorney...prolly sum1 who knows his $h!t in the county u got ticketed and like Ambystom01 said...u can just tell judge the truth...he prolly wont believe u but ur lawyer...he might
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

The bottom line:
Punching it to get into the turn lane; ouch! Who among us is innocent? On the positive side your citation did not include your speed and there is no proof that you knew the other car was accelerating. Hopefully you did not rev of posture before you accelerated.

You do not have a clean DMV. The infraction was minor one point.

Hope you can get this reduced to an infraction such as faliure to yield right of way.

BTW 30s is not an old guy. trust me lol
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Simple, In the trial.

1. Get a good lawyer.
2. You had a turn coming up and needed to be in that lane to make the turn. You couldn't slow down and get behind the Celica because there was already a car or two behind himand you would have had to stop in your lane and wait for the others to pass in order to make it to that lane for the turn. So you you hit the gas in order to get in front and not hold up traffic in your lane. You got in front safely and made your turn without slowing traffic or causing an accident. You made the right choice for the current situation.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingnut17
Simple, In the trial.

1. Get a good lawyer.
2. You had a turn coming up and needed to be in that lane to make the turn. You couldn't slow down and get behind the Celica because there was already a car or two behind himand you would have had to stop in your lane and wait for the others to pass in order to make it to that lane for the turn. So you you hit the gas in order to get in front and not hold up traffic in your lane. You got in front safely and made your turn without slowing traffic or causing an accident. You made the right choice for the current situation.
and then tack on to that statement that you made no geture or signal to the other car that you wished him to go fast as well, and therefore there was no "Race" per se.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:40 AM

had a ticket for racing... got a lawyer, got it differed... you should do the same
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

and the survey says: get a lawyer!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

same exact thing happened to me with a CIVICCCCCCCCCCCC but i went to court and represented myself and they dismissed the ticket.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

After you get everything settled, I recommend a Valentine 1 .
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:21 AM

valentine1 won't really help with a cop trailing you and catching you for racing....
Old Mar 3, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again for all the comments/feedback/support - I have a very good friend that is an attorney here in town - he doesn't do *this* kind of junk, but he knows people - just waiting to hear back from him on who THE man is to get...

as for speed and age and the type of car, I know 30's isn't THAT old, but it will help... the ticket just says mitsu/black/4 dr ... and for the guy who suggested I get a V-1, I already have a V-1, I said before that they didn't clock us at all, there is no speed written on the ticket; it just says "racing on highway".

So I think I can beat this - although the more I think about it, I almost have to agree with the guy whose parents exercised the poor judgement - if you're faced with something like this, be careful and prudent, or you'll end up in the same predicament.

Quick Reply: Racing on highway = criminal violation