Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 Evo modding/tuning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005 | 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

05 Evo modding/tuning

I just bought a new 05 evo and want to know the best, cheapest, best warranty evading mods to do.

I am coming from a modded 95 GSX that quite frankly would smoke the hell out of my brand new $30k evo. I built my GSX with no concern for warranty and with no monthly payment so extra money could go right into nice mods.

Ive seen a nice intake for $200 ish and everybody keeps talking about a ECU reflash but with no mention of where to get it from....

Only place I have seen a evo upgrade path is buschur whom I have nothing against (bought some of my GSX parts from them) but I like to get as much info as I can. Normally I would consider it a coresponding upgrade path to my gsx as it is the same engine but I like my new 10yr 100k mile warranty and dont intend on swapping pisons, injectors, manifolds, etc like I did with the GSX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin
South Florida
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Don't you know? Turning your key in the ignition voids your warranty. Accelerating at WOT voids your warranty. Going over the speed limit voids your warranty. Now they brought out a new rule, driving your car at all voids your warranty.

Heh, on a more serious note, ECU reflashes can be done from Al @ Dynoflash (goto his sub-forum for more info), your local tuning shop, etc... you have all sorts of options like DynoFlash, ECUtek, turboxs's Utek, Apexi's S-AFC, AEM's EMS, etc. etc. etc... lots of choices.

As far as great mods, someone posted the same question yesterday... and it all depends on what you want outta your car... but in my opinion, a turbo-back exhaust is always a great first mod... adds lots of whp on our cars. Good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

as far as reflash u have quite few choices...vishnu, dynoflash, works, just do a search that topic as been beaten to death.

other mods u can do without any problem is a full exhaust as long as u keep a catalytic converter ( stock or highflow)

Personaly i have a tanabe downpipe, and tanabe hyper catback with the stock catalyst ( the car sounds great, good power gains, very quiet but sporty)...then i am planning to get a reflash from Vishnu or dynoflash, i havent made up my mind yet.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

It's just like the 2g. I came from a 97 GS-T and it's like I barely changed cars, as far as modding. I'm staying away from flashes. I'd rather control fuel myself and tuning it is identical to the 2g too. It needs it even on stock injectors.
I have an AFC-II with a patch harness. When it's time for warranty work, it drops out in 10 minutes.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

ecu reflashes are detectable on the '05 ecu and will void your warranty. i got a piggy back to get around that, it's just a bit pricey.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

im selling the afc-2 I have with my gsx .. oops.

turbo larry
You said you have yours hooked up with a patch harnes..? When you goto dealer I take it ecu goes back to stock settings.. are you formating the settings on the afc or can they be saved for when you plug it back in? Never did the afc tuning in my gsx.. friend did and it still ran pig *** rich.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'll make this short and to the point!
Considering stock car has 210whp and runs low 13's in the 1/4.........

Option 1:

high 12's and 265~whp
Flash and TBE. $1500 or so.
This is what I've got. Very reliable and trouble-free. Kind of the "set it and forget it" approach.

You can add an MBC, cams and/or alky injection tuned with a flash, but that's about the limit, and it's probably not going to extract all the power. Another 30-50whp here and mid/low 12's possible here for another $1000-$1500. Note that there's a limit to what you can accomplish with only a flash.

Option 2:
MORE!
Get a piggback (UTEC for example) and TBE. Then, cams and other internals, then new Intercooler and piping on the way to a new Turbo. Add in a clutch fund here along with lots of dynotime and guages. Sky is the limit here on $$ and options.

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 3, 2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Turbo Trix also offers a full Flash on their Dyno. The guys at Turbo Trix are very friendly and do a damn good job.

Turbo Back and a TT Flash..... you have a very fast, reliable car.

-taylor
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HoLeeRay
ecu reflashes are detectable on the '05 ecu and will void your warranty. i got a piggy back to get around that, it's just a bit pricey.
Not trying to step on your toes, but Flashes are detectable on ANY year evo. Also, if you are running any engine management system the guys at will be able to tell that you were, and void your warranty.

- Taylor
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

-Catback
-ECU Tune
-K&N Drop In

You will notice a good power gain. You should be over 300whp with these three mods. Check out the Dynoflashed 05 Mr. Just an Ecu tune 295whp

My dealer has no problem with these mods.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8 HUNTR
Not trying to step on your toes, but Flashes are detectable on ANY year evo. Also, if you are running any engine management system the guys at will be able to tell that you were, and void your warranty.

- Taylor
Yes but they are real easy to put back to stock before the car goes back to the dealer. They would never know.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboWill
-Catback
-ECU Tune
-K&N Drop In

You will notice a good power gain. You should be over 300whp with these three mods. Check out the Dynoflashed 05 Mr. Just an Ecu tune 295whp

My dealer has no problem with these mods.
Not on our local DD dyno (209whp stock) you won't be; but you will on the moon dyno's out there (240-260whp stock)! ha. Just gotta factor that in when people start quoting numbers, that's why I baselined in my thread up above.
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboWill
Yes but they are real easy to put back to stock before the car goes back to the dealer. They would never know.
True, they wouldn't notice by looking at it, but if you had an engine problem they would be able to look into the ECU's datalogger and see that its stock perameters had been altered.

Thanks,
taylor
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

K&N and a flash which you can pre-define for your next logical mod: exhaust.

I recommend Works as it's the safest as well as very powerful - it (and at least some others) will give you 2 more MPG unless you can't keep your foot outta the throttle, heh.

Good luck!
Old Mar 3, 2005 | 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

i'd stay away from intakes, they do nothing but mixup your MAF signal and hurt the cars performance. get a tbe, flash and mbc, thats what i have on my 05 and its great