Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advans and Snow, what tire psi is best?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont do it - I crashed my car going 10 mph and slid into a curb. $3,500 worth of damage
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

My best advise is drive something different. When I had my Advans on I was driving around my neighborhood and almost slid into a brick mailbox. This was driving in 1st gear at about 5-10 mph. The back end swung out I tried to gas out of it and just spun, then tried to steer out of it and just went towards the mailbox, and then finally hit the brakes just hoping Id stop. I did...about 2 feet from it.

If you love your car, don't drive it in the snow with the Advans. Your sure to have a close call or even wreck your car. It's not worth it IMO. If you have to, borrow someones car.

Advan's in the snow?
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

there is no drifting with the advans in the snow. as soon as you try to turn, you slide straight. so unless you call accidentally turning sideways because you couldnt stop drifting, then no.. no drifting.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Run the factory requested pressure for your rental car.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

are you kidding me? some snows or all season if you absolutely have to go!
Old Mar 4, 2005, 01:49 PM

please get a rental
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

rental and other tires are not an option. I doubt there will even be much if any snow on the ground. Im not too worried about it, I drove on ice a while back when we had ice storm and it seemed fine. I will take it easy and lower pressure. Thanks for all the advice.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Note, I will also have 4 people in the car along with luggage and 4 snowboards so I have some extra weight to help me out.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:35 PM

yeah. don't run the advans.

but, you will actually want to go up in pressure, making your tire more narrow. the lower the pressure, the fatter the tire.... bad in the snow... but in reality. it's not going to make ANY difference with the advans.. i just put on some pzero nero m+s's and i love them.

just don't go driving in the snow with the advans. trust me, you'll be going-- why did i do that.....

buggy
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

or 4 more people to hurt
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:40 PM
Account Disabled

I got Pirelli Nero M+S for winter. You get Ultra High performance +quiet an they were great in Lake Tahoe.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:56 PM

never ever drive in da snow....its a spelling for disaster...
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

The best air pressure for stock Advans in snow is 0psi, on a shelf in the garage. That is the only pressure that will prevent damage to your car. If you can't afford other tires, ride the bus.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

read my signature hahaha. i don't have ACD either. the first time i drove on snow, i didn't even know it was supposed to snow that night. back in december, got outta movies at 1am and there was about 1" on ground. my heart went straight down into my ***. i drove soooo slow and tried to stay in the highest gear that would still allow me to get moving. even with no boost, when i gave it a tiny amount of gas in 2nd, the back end would try to slap around while i was making turns. pressing the brake does absofudginglutely nothing. in fact, at one point the back end tried to come around on me while abs was kicking in. so as soon as i felt anything in the rear going to the side i would let go of gas/brake. i haven't changed the tires since, as i have another car, but the problem is, my integra also has summer tires and they only have about 50% tread left. the car is more stable though since it's FWD. i also drove on advans while it was snowing like 3 times. but the roads were cleaned, with only some light slush+water+salt rocks which was ok. i just had to stay the f0ck off boost and go slower than usual. so if there's actual snow on the ground, like 1"+ and u have a choice, DO NOT do it! if u absolutely must, pretend ur foot is only as strong as a baby's and barely press the gas.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cannyboy
or 4 more people to hurt
yup - if you actual drive in the snow with the Advans, do it by yourself b/c u are simply asking for it.