Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advans and Snow, what tire psi is best?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advans and Snow, what tire psi is best?

I have heard that the stock advans do not do well in the snow. I am driving to Virginia this weekend to go snowboarding and have never driven my evo in the snow. What would some of you northern guys suggest running my tires at for best traction? The tires have 9k miles and still have a good bit of tread on them.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

do not drive on the advans in the snow. it is suicide. you will not be able to stop.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:05 PM

Im not from the north...but Ill throw in my two-cents. I took a trip to Park City Utah 3 weeks ago. Had my evo in the snow with the stock advans. I aired down to about 25psi on all four. It was not really that much of a difference from stock pressure....but I didnt want to risk sidewall damage. On fresh snow and packed powder....you should be alright. But if you get in to any ice or hilly situations.....it gets real nasty...real quick. Remember to drive very slow....the advans are horrible for these types of situations. I got Pirrelli Snows waiting for me in Utah now. Have fun
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take it easy and lower the pressure.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah unless your last name ends in 'nen' don't even think about it It isn't just the tread, the Advans are designed to hold up under heavy track use and high temperatures, and consequently the compound is rock hard below 40F. I've slid in the Advans when there wasn't any snow on the ground at all.... quite remarkable really.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you must run your ultra performance summer only tires in the dead of winter, lower your PSI, 3 PSI below your stock setting.

that way you could get more contact patch out of your tires and it will grip better... I don't know what that means, grip better with stock Advans in the snow...
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto on the DONT DO IT.

Search on snow and Advans, a whole bunch of people learned the hard way.
It goes fine but doesn't stop or turn worth a ****.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Its going to be hard with these tires. The tires will not be responsive, wont turn, and wont stop. ABS always kits on stuff so that will get annoying. If you go out there with those tires and driving on snow, theres a high chance you are going to crash. Dont do it homie, get some tires from a buddy or get some cheap tires
Old Mar 3, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wroblewskievo
do not drive on the advans in the snow. it is suicide. you will not be able to stop.
truee, been there twice
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:00 PM

As everyone else has said...Advans and snow do not mix well. The day after I bought my 03 Evo it snowed like 6 inches. I almost couldn't make it to the tire shop and it is less than a mile from my house. You can do it but it is nerve racking especially if you are not used to driving in the snow. I drove my MR through 2 inches of snow and it did ok compared to the 03 since I had it in "snow" mode but I still wouldn't want to drive to far in the snow with the advans and I grew up driving in snow country.

Off topic....There are mountains big enough to ski on in Virginia?
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, I dont recommend using the Advans in the snow either. The day I bought my car last year it was snowing so I had to drive my brand new car home in the snow and it wasnt pretty. I was sliding quite a bit. At least I found out my ABS was working well. This winter I bought a new set of tires and took my Advans off just for the winter.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, don't do it, I'm here in Utah too, and it's a bad idea, even Kuhmo Ecstas suck, I almost hit a Civic... If you have to use them, pretend you're driving the biggest most expensive caddy ever, and it can't turn or stop, and if you hit something, it explodes... then you might be good
Old Mar 3, 2005, 09:16 PM

Man, dont do it, those Advan are like skates on ice.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Don't even try man
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure you could drift the hell out of those advans in the snow! lol

just can't stop when you want to. lol