Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Running My EVO on E85 Fuel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running My EVO on E85 Fuel

Been doing some research on the possibility of running my EVO on E85 Exxon Fuel. From what I gather it looks like it would work. Here is what I found on www.e85fuel.com 's website.

Can ethanol fuel be used in any vehicle?
Response:

Gasoline-ethanol blends containing up to 10% volume ethanol may be used in any vehicle. The addition of ethanol boosts octane and, because it is an oxygenate, ethanol contributes to a more complete fuel combustion resulting in reduced emissions of carbon monoxide and other ozone-forming emissions. All major auto manufacturers approve the use of up to 10% volume ethanol.

In fact, some manufacturers, such as General Motors, Chrysler, Ford, Nissan, Range Rover, and Suzuki recommend the use of oxygenated fuels and/or reformulated gasoline for their clean burning characteristics. Blends above 10% volume are not approved by the auto manufacturers or the EPA for use in standard gasoline engine vehicles.

The Energy Policy Act of 1992 also recognizes E85 (a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% unleaded gasoline) as an alternative fuel. In order to operate on E85, vehicles need to be compatible with alcohol use. The conversion cost to make FFVs compatible with E85 typically includes upgrades to the fuel system components, the addition of a fuel sensor, and reprogramming the EPOM (computer chip) in the ECM/PCM (electronic control module/power train control module).

Anyone have any inputs?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

there is an evo owner that has such a system on his evo, not sure where and i think i just read about a kit for sale in the private for sale forums

the kit on the evo is insane from what i remember reading
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Kit ??
Old Mar 4, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive thought about it too a bit. You would benefit greatly since ethanol vaporization greatly reduces intake temperature. However, ethanol is corrosive to aluminum and possibly steel (cant remember). So i dont know how that works out with fuel components. Basically, you would need to make sure that youre fuel tank, filler neck, pump, fuel lines, rails, injectors, etc are all ethanol compatable. Dont know if the evos are or arent. Being the evo isnt a FFV, i doubt it. Basically, when I dealt with an ethanol car, we had a custom welded titanium tank made, Ti fuel rail, special fuel lines, pump, etc. Not to mention all the reprogramming you will have to do.

The other thing about E85 is that cold startability $UCK$. Its just flat out aweful on a car that isnt tuned really well for it. So keep that in mind.

On the other hand, you will prolly get a lot of the benefit of E85 with the alcohol injection kit thats out there now....check into that. Its a lot cheaper....and you can keep youre gasoline tune. E85 is hard to come by in a lot of spots.