Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO respect/hate... an interesting afternoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO respect/hate... an interesting afternoon

On my way home from work today I experienced 2 very different attitudes toward the car. On the highway, I noticed HIDs...approaching from behind really quickly. I could tell he was slowing down and moved from behind me to the right. At this point, I'm thinking " another MA driver that wants to pass me on the right on a 3 lane highway" It was obvious that he was matching my speed...I look over and its an Audi...3 guys in it...the driver looks over and nods, his rear seat passenger throws me a thumbs up...I returned the sentiment. The car in front of him was going slowly so i braked, and let him in. Turns out it was an RS6 . He went speeding off and i tried to tail him for a little bit. Later i passed him when he was exiting and he threw another wave my way.

Of course...this was a cool feeling...a pretty serious performance car (retailing for almost 3x the cost of the EVO) took time to compliment my car.

once i got into town I stopped at a light, in the left hand turning lane. an E36-body style BMW stopped next to me. it had M badges and 3 kids in the car...it was lowered and has clear lenses, tint, etc. First, the passengers start laughing in my direction. Then, the driver throws revs at me. Mind you, we are 3 cars back at a light on a 25mph road AND i'm in the left turn only lane. I usually do my best to just ignore people like this but I laughed, i couldnt help it. He responds by shaking his head as if to say "You don't know who you're messing with"

Fact is, i don't care. Why don't other drivers understand this? If i was impressed by the BMW, i could've bought one. I know he might've been supercharged or turboed, but i doubt it. i just dont get it. LEAVE ME ALONE on the road. I know the wing and tails are an invitation to be an a** to some people.

i just dont get it... it's funny to see the driver of an $84,000+, twin turbo v8, 450 HP car drop respect for a "Rice Rocket" followed almost immediately by some kids in a beat BMW exhibiting a faster-than-god complex.

i really do like the wing on the evo...the tails i'll be changing ASAICAT (as soon as i can afford to)

CLIFF NOTES: Random strangers in an RS6 throw me some compliments on the EVO, 10 minutes later some guys in an older BMW are mocking it.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah the world is a funny place.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
On my way home from work today I experienced 2 very different attitudes toward the car. On the highway, I noticed HIDs...approaching from behind really quickly. I could tell he was slowing down and moved from behind me to the right. At this point, I'm thinking " another MA driver that wants to pass me on the right on a 3 lane highway" It was obvious that he was matching my speed...I look over and its an Audi...3 guys in it...the driver looks over and nods, his rear seat passenger throws me a thumbs up...I returned the sentiment. The car in front of him was going slowly so i braked, and let him in. Turns out it was an RS6 . He went speeding off and i tried to tail him for a little bit. Later i passed him when he was exiting and he threw another wave my way.

Of course...this was a cool feeling...a pretty serious performance car (retailing for almost 3x the cost of the EVO) took time to compliment my car.

once i got into town I stopped at a light, in the left hand turning lane. an E36-body style BMW stopped next to me. it had M badges and 3 kids in the car...it was lowered and has clear lenses, tint, etc. First, the passengers start laughing in my direction. Then, the driver throws revs at me. Mind you, we are 3 cars back at a light on a 25mph road AND i'm in the left turn only lane. I usually do my best to just ignore people like this but I laughed, i couldnt help it. He responds by shaking his head as if to say "You don't know who you're messing with"

Fact is, i don't care. Why don't other drivers understand this? If i was impressed by the BMW, i could've bought one. I know he might've been supercharged or turboed, but i doubt it. i just dont get it. LEAVE ME ALONE on the road. I know the wing and tails are an invitation to be an a** to some people.

i just dont get it... it's funny to see the driver of an $84,000+, twin turbo v8, 450 HP car drop respect for a "Rice Rocket" followed almost immediately by some kids in a beat BMW exhibiting a faster-than-god complex.

i really do like the wing on the evo...the tails i'll be changing ASAICAT (as soon as i can afford to)

CLIFF NOTES: Random strangers in an RS6 throw me some compliments on the EVO, 10 minutes later some guys in an older BMW are mocking it.
That sucks I have to deal with that **** all the time in Milwaukee. I just dont race anyone anymore unless I am in a totally safe location and most importantly the car has to be equally or faster than my car. i hate dumbass kids who take their parents BMW out and think they are hot ****. haha although I used to do that but that was back in the day.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Not that I condone street racing... but... pulling away from expensive exotic cars that under-estimate me and seeing their reactions is about the best feeling in the world... (c5's, c6's, z06's, 911 turbo's, etc)

However, I notice about anything with wheels likes to rev at me... but I live on the most active commercial street in my area. The only ppl who seem to really disrespect my car are the local LS1's... but the rivalry of displacement vs technology never ends.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

all are worthy sports cars, people gotta have respect for the evo, best sports car for under 30k, few thousand dollars in mods to blow away the other 2, and at least half the cost. nice post.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

That's cool with the rs6 but don't mind the other driver....just a hater...
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

It's part of life. The dude in the bimmer has a wake up call due in the near future just like many wet behind the ears novice players. Mommy and Daddy's CC is his muscle, without that he'd **** his drawers without a doubt.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
Not that I condone street racing... but... pulling away from expensive exotic cars that under-estimate me and seeing their reactions is about the best feeling in the world... (c5's, c6's, z06's, 911 turbo's, etc)
i hear ya...there are just some days though when i don't want to be bothered...sometimes its just not worth my time, clutch, tires, gas, driving record, etc.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

People are by and large ignorant morons, I credit the *FEW* somewhat informed BMW enthusiasts that I have come across but they are rare, much like BMWs that actually are fast. Most recently I was in the city (NYC) with a couple friends and some drunken ******* and his friends saw me walking to my car, commented on it having implied power because it is red, and then stated that in spite of my car's "red" factor and overall power he would still "smoke" me because he has an M3. That was a truly enlightening experience.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:09 PM

Am I the only one who gets revved on by big jacked up 4x4's with really loud exhausts? Seems every hillbilly in the area wants a piece of the Evo.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
Am I the only one who gets revved on by big jacked up 4x4's with really loud exhausts? Seems every hillbilly in the area wants a piece of the Evo.
Gotta be the V8 power, some of those new pickups/suvs have fake HEMIs nowadays.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

I know the feeling, it seems like everytime I go out in the evo somebody wants to try something. You glance up in your rear view mirror and see someone closing up fast or just pacing you and think "here we go agian". Most of the time its just people wanting to check out the car or whatnot, which is cool. Its the ones who keep accelerating real fast then slow down, trying to bait you that gets old. I guess its cute, and makes them feel better about themselves, but damn, you dont have to nearly cause a wreck in the process.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr

However, I notice about anything with wheels likes to rev at me... but I live on the most active commercial street in my area. The only ppl who seem to really disrespect my car are the local LS1's... but the rivalry of displacement vs technology never ends.
I've owned 3 LS1 powered F-bodies and I know exactly what you are talking about. I really don't like the crowd as much as others I have been apart of. Don't get me wrong, the LS1 is an amazing engine and I love it, but the drivers tend to not give as much respect as other owners do. I don't know why. LS1 owners don't waive at eachother half the time. Ah well, glad to be rid of the rattle boxes.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nubby
Nope, I live in louisiana, happens all the time. Bubba wants to show out for the queen of the trailer park, whos ridin ***** next to him.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try not to worry about the haters. Usually I just laugh at them or ignore them. (usually depends on what part of town I'm in, lol)

I got a wave from a young guy in one of the new Cabrio 911 Turbos the other day. That put a smile on my face.