Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

does anyone know why they didnt announce the Evo 8 publicly?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by suave3747
Mitsu is bringing along Ralliart. That was the surprise.
So what? Why do you think that presence of the RallyArt is going to change things so much? There are already bunch of 4G63 tuners around, and I see no reason for one more to make such a big deal as you where trying to make it!

They will also get all the sales of hardcore racers that want a tunable platform with no devices to take the control of the car out of their hands.
Are they going to take out the ABS system as well, so the hard core racers will have an ultimate feel of their brakes? Maybe power steering? We are not in 80s or 90s any more and those devices are not that bad any more. Get used to it!

Honestly, it's a good idea. If you're waiting for Mitsubishi to announce a 340 HP Mitsubishi Evo with ACD, AYC, a front LSD and a 6 speed all for 32k, don't hold your breath.
But, 280HP without AYC, should be in that price range. Or is that a stretch as well?

They offered their car and they are offering you the parts to make it compete with the STi.
Did you ever think of the fact that for some types of racing you can not use those parts since they are not legal. So basically, with those extras you will be moved to the toughest class that exist and you call that right! So, to be competitive in those classes that you are now just pushed to, you have to do some more extensive changes that are not quite the first thing you do on a brand new car. But, in order to stay competitive with all of the other guys, you would have to. So, what are you going to do?

I hardly think they deserve any kind of punishment for that.
Well that is your opinion and this is mine. We will see pretty soon how things are going to ended up in the real world about all of this! Still, I solute them for bringing really nice car here to the US market. I am not appreciating the fact that they made it sound like this is an ultimate deal, when everyone around sees that they are blowing something bad!

Fedja
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what? Why do you think that presence of the RallyArt is going to change things so much? There are already bunch of 4G63 tuners around, and I see no reason for one more to make such a big deal as you where trying to make it!
Them bringing Ralliart means that we would be offered aftermarket parts at a reasonable price, which would almost certainly allow tuners that use Ralliart parts to keep their warranty.

Are they going to take out the ABS system as well, so the hard core racers will have an ultimate feel of their brakes? Maybe power steering? We are not in 80s or 90s any more and those devices are not that bad any more. Get used to it!
To maintain safety and cheaper insurance, due to the fact that it is a production car, they leave basic systems off. AYC and ACD are hardly advanced systems. However, Claudius is a very knowledgable racer, and he prefers the car without the active differentials.

But, 280HP without AYC, should be in that price range. Or is that a stretch as well?
32k would be about fair for 280 hp with ACD, but that system was only available in 1 version of the Evolution, and it may not be sorted out enough for them to deem it worthy of the American car market.

Did you ever think of the fact that for some types of racing you can not use those parts since they are not legal. So basically, with those extras you will be moved to the toughest class that exist and you call that right! So, to be competitive in those classes that you are now just pushed to, you have to do some more extensive changes that are not quite the first thing you do on a brand new car. But, in order to stay competitive with all of the other guys, you would have to. So, what are you going to do?
In Autox, I've heard that simple mods like exhaust and intake are legal. You don't need to totally revamp the car. I've heard that just exhaust and intake can push the car to well over 280hp.

The sharpness at the end of my post was more directed towards gtr, as he has been doing nothing but slamming the Evo since the release of STi specs, and I don't see the point in trolling the forums of a car you no longer care to buy. If someone decides they want the STi, what is the point of staying here and saying the same things every day when you could go to the STi forums where your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Them bringing Ralliart means that we would be offered aftermarket parts at a reasonable price, which would almost certainly allow tuners that use Ralliart parts to keep their warranty.
You said it your self - almost!!! I don't believe that after sending all of those warnings about the car this, engine oil that, and whatever else I forgot, that is going to allow something along to that one and keep the warranty on the car if you have some RallyArt parts. They would still have to make more than 1000 cars a year to make it legal for the SCCA Solo2 stock class.

To maintain safety and cheaper insurance, due to the fact that it is a production car, they leave basic systems off. AYC and ACD are hardly advanced systems. However, Claudius is a very knowledgable racer, and he prefers the car without the active differentials.
hardly advanced systems? Then tell me why there is no other car around that cost less then $100k that has them from the factory? Even new STi doesn't have an active adjustments for their center differential. It is static remote adjustment for the bias in the center diff. ACD that EVOs have is much more sophisticated then DCCD is and Subaru is just about the bring their answer to the EVOs ACD, which is called ATD (Automatic Torque Distribution).

About the Claudius (which I have a great respect for, even tough he doesn't like to reply on email or a PM sometimes) and what he would say is not quite relevant here, since he has modified EVO 6, which never came with the ACD. AYC (which is the one he replaced and doesn't like a bit) on those cars was not the best thing and the same goes for the one on the EVO 7. Also, form the history of the EVOs, only EVOs 4-6 didn't have active diff in the center. All of the others did!

32k would be about fair for 280 hp with ACD, but that system was only available in 1 version of the Evolution, and it may not be sorted out enough for them to deem it worthy of the American car market.
ACD is a standard option on the RS model (as well as the front LSD) for two EVO generations and that is what plans to sells to guys that want hard core racing!

In Autox, I've heard that simple mods like exhaust and intake are legal. You don't need to totally revamp the car. I've heard that just exhaust and intake can push the car to well over 280hp.
SCCA autoX (or Solo2) has different categories with different rule allowances. The first and the most popular one is Stock and exhaust can be changed after the cat (which has to be the stock one) only. Intake mods goes as far as the air filter replacement with anything that goes in the stock air box (which has to be maintained as well). Depending on how restrictive those two parts are on the stock US EVO will be the HP gain that we should get. My hopes are in the 15-20 HP gain from those two it self!

The sharpness at the end of my post was more directed towards gtr, as he has been doing nothing but slamming the Evo since the release of STi specs, and I don't see the point in trolling the forums of a car you no longer care to buy. If someone decides they want the STi, what is the point of staying here and saying the same things every day when you could go to the STi forums where your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sorry if I appeared a bit too hard, since you didn't mean to go against you in particular. For some reason there are people that are trying to defend for what they did with the US EVO and most of the harsh parts where about them. You had a few parts written that way and that is why your name appeared on the top. Still, nothing personal!!

About the gtr you are more then right and he did wrote few posts the way you where referring to. I still believe that he will end up with the EVO and that this is just a temporary burst of the negative energy toward the . I was also proven to wrong a lot of times here to, so...

Have a good one!!

Fedja
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by MrAWD

Even new STi doesn't have an active adjustments for their center differential. It is static remote adjustment for the bias in the center diff. ACD that EVOs have is much more sophisticated then DCCD is and Subaru is just about the bring their answer to the EVOs ACD, which is called ATD (Automatic Torque Distribution).

Fedja
Care to elaborate on the difference between Mitsu's ACD and Subaru's DCCD? I thought they were both active diffs, as Subaru's DCCD, in manual mode, will distribute torque up to 65%. As Suretrac is just like AYC.

Prodrive's ATD for Subaru will respond to your driver skill, as I understand.

Last edited by codemunky; Jan 20, 2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by codemunky
Care to elaborate on the difference between Mitsu's ACD and Subaru's DCCD? I thought they were both active diffs, as Subaru's DCCD, in manual mode, will distribute torque up to 65%. As Suretrac is just like AYC.

Prodrive's ATD for Subaru will respond to your driver skill, as I understand.
Well, one of the biggest difference between the two systems is that is using steering angle sensor (in addition to all the others that both systems are using), which allows additional steering of the car through the setting changes in the drivetrain. DCCD is basically external adjustment for the differential bias and that is it. Full locked mode is 50:50 distribution between the front and the rear, while full opened mode is 35/65 difference between the front and the rear. DCCD can also set any other bias between those two (but not outside them).

Don't take me wrong here. DCCD is a great system and it works great for what is designed to do. What I was saying was only that ACD/AYC combination does at least one thing more than DCCD is meant to be used for.

Fedja
Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

i am with Claudius..the Us Evo will be and is a good Evo...i don't see anything to ***** about
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:15 PM

Actually, the job of ACD and DCCD is to lessen understeer/add oversteer as present in most, if not all, AWD. I think these are great aids. Not sure how ACD is laid out for different conditions (I assume that they are fixed in relation to road conditions), but DCCD is variable, that you can set it up for drift. Maybe someone explain more about ACD setup?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What about the new automatic mode on DCCD? Doesn't that mean it will behave more like (or at least in a similar way to) ACD?

Correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I don't think I fully understand how DCCD works (at least the minutia).

Erik in LA
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by MrAWD
hardly advanced systems? Then tell me why there is no other car around that cost less then $100k that has them from the factory? Even new STi doesn't have an active adjustments for their center differential. It is static remote adjustment for the bias in the center diff. ACD that EVOs have is much more sophisticated then DCCD is and Subaru is just about the bring their answer to the EVOs ACD, which is called ATD (Automatic Torque Distribution).
[/B]
My mistake. I meant to say that the ABS and power steering are basic features, and that the ACD and AYC are hardly basic features.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:24 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Claudius
I will get someone to send him an Evo 7 AYC. In fact, I could pick one up for free here, no one wants them. Maybe someone could help with the install? This offer is only valid if he promises to stop *****ing! 25kg more, no more drifting and you guys complain about there not being AYC?
Hold up, I'm always *****ing about ACD and LSD not AYC. Geez after all the *****ing someone still can't get it straight

suave3747, the evo is awesome and i've always wanted one. Actually, i've started complaining when i found out about no ACD and then futher complained about LSD. I know the LSD works well with ACD but without the ACD I'm still not sure it'll be a great Idea.

MrAWD, thought were're on the same band wagon who want ACD? Yes, I was more furious when subaru announce it's specs and friend saying sti will be better is tiresome to defend.

The fact is that I feel the evo is designed better than the wrx sti with the FMIC harder suspention and superior handling by reputation. I also know that monitors this site and if we dont' complain we will never get ACD. Think about it, 4600 units and all will be sold anyways! The only point in giving us the goodies is just image of Mitsubishi and to save face. Be realistic, i'm still a newbie on nasioc and i'm member number 4000. What does that tell you about my interest for the sti over the evo? I just want Mitsubishi to realize at least 30% when to subaru b/c of active goodies. If they were selling at large volume they are going to loose out.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

is probably praying the Sti isn't within 2k of the Evo. They may still sell all 4500-5000 of them but not nearly as easily. That is a decent amount of cars for a car with a rather specific somewhat narrow market.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:41 PM

Half of the people that left this site when Subaru announced the specs of the STi were paper racers that would never have bought the Evo anyhow, and will now read about the STi and talk **** on the Evo without ever having any real intention of buying the STi either.

The other half I would expect are people that don't intend to do much tuning and went chasing after the larger horsepower numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

And there are still some here that are just waiting to hear the price and weight of the Sti also. It's going to be hard to blame anyone that goes to the Sti if it comes at a close price and weight. I think Subaru is doing its own little things to cut costs such as no radio, floor mats, rear wiper, etc. and may have a good "base price" to attract buyers. I guess it all comes down to getting the most for your money. I'm sticking with the Evo though..
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:53 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are the two question people are holding out on the evo8. Personally the weight is a concern but ultimatally handling is #1. Maybe i'm getting upset for nothing if the evo still out handles the STI without ACD Only time will tell and i hope the results will not be dissapointing.