Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

does anyone know why they didnt announce the Evo 8 publicly?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know why they didnt announce the Evo 8 publicly?

Ive always been curious on why Mitsubishi has not put a single commerial on air or even told the sales people any information about the car. . Even on TV when the auto shows come and when they visit the International auto salon and i think it was Detroit Auto Show, they didnt show the Evo on TV but they previewed the Sti.

My guess is that there are so few that they dont want to be hammered but that is also stupid... Only way ive been able to find information is from this beautiful Forum i found with all these members on it .

Any clues why Mitsubishi is so secretive about the EVo?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Because they're allegedly waiting for the super bowl. Besides that, who wants to go to the dealership and hear, "Yeah, we'll be selling those in a month"? It makes more sense for them to have the car available or very close to shipping for them to keep their customers interested and their potential buyers into sales.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

I think mitsu has many tricks up its sleeves, let's wait and find out.
Or maybe they don't wanna make to much noise about this first release till they put out the much better release out. Either way i think if you give them a couple of months, they might have everything out as far as information and Publicity.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Re: does anyone know why they didnt announce the Evo 8 publicly?

Originally posted by -=DimSum=-
Ive always been curious on why Mitsubishi has not put a single commerial on air or even told the sales people any information about the car. . Even on TV when the auto shows come and when they visit the International auto salon and i think it was Detroit Auto Show, they didnt show the Evo on TV but they previewed the Sti.

My guess is that there are so few that they dont want to be hammered but that is also stupid... Only way ive been able to find information is from this beautiful Forum i found with all these members on it .

Any clues why Mitsubishi is so secretive about the EVo?
I don't expect to see any commercials for the Evo and dealers won't have training kits on the car until probably next month.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:48 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

We're probably won't see much until early in the summer, right around the time that we begin seeing advertisements for 2 Fast, 2 Furious or whatever the hell it's called.

Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:02 PM

Perhaps the people who are going to purchase it already know what it is, and there may be a limited amount that they won't have a problem with overstock... Why spend money on advertising...it is a niche car...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Re: does anyone know why they didnt announce the Evo 8 publicly?

Originally posted by -=DimSum=-
Ive always been curious on why Mitsubishi has not put a single commerial on air or even told the sales people any information about the car.

Because they don't NEED to. Companies only air commercials to sell product. If the company is fairly sure a product will sell without commercials, they will not spend money where they do not need to.

I think Mitsu's marketing money for the Evo would be much better spent sponsoring cars entered into racing events, like SCCA rally.

SC
Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

for some reason Honda started to Magazine advertise the S2000 fairly early, even when there were still huge waiting lists. Maybe it was just to get people in the dealership to inquire about the S2000 then buy an accord (the sensible car)?

I was hoping to know a little more about the Evo by now that what we currently do.

Edit - we actually know a fair amount, but it just seems like we don't since no magazines have tested it, and no firm delivery date has been given to me by my dealer.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think mitsu did a bad job with advertisement. yes we all know that the cars will be sold immediately and with no problem, however mitsu makes the EVO for the sole reason of reviving a failing sportscar company here in america. THe idea was to make this car as exiting as possible and be able to headline all of Mitsubishi. All of us know about the Evo, but the average joe doesn't. And no mitsu is not at all worried about profit since there's not much of that on a limited car. hopefully they will start releasing some ads.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MEGABUSA
Maybe it was just to get people in the dealership to inquire about the S2000 then buy an accord (the sensible car)?
Thats exactly what happened to my friend when he went in to ask about the s2000. The dealer started pushing us toward the accord coupes. should probably put up some ads Evo ads just to get the people into the dealerships. Getting a person into the dealership is the first step to sell a car.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well after we all saw how they got slandered by the Subaru's announcement of the STi and no visible reaction after that, it just keeps you wonder about whether they know their $hit at all.

Part of me is still hoping that they are playing some kind of deep game and they will come back with something really great, but the other part of me is just staying with reality and doesn't appreciate that first one at all! We all have problems, don't we!!

Fedja
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:59 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subaru did the smackdown to but, I feel they got what they deserve.

Cheat me out of ACD and/or LSD Save a penny lose a dollar Why could they just make an option for the first batch of ppl? They should of gave us allocation #'s last year so we can have it already.

Based on specs i'm going for the sti as soon as it arrives unless my magazine racing skilz tell me otherwise.

As of right now I feel they have nothing to advertise about it, except for the price. Even if mitsubishi offers acd/lsd in the near future i'm still going to be enought to go for the STI.

All i have to say is that better offer my Front dealer installed LSD option asap. So i guess until they have the options finalized they arent' going to advertise.

Subaru will probably get the STI here in July. Until then i'm 100% sure the evo will be the best car in it's class. If it loses the stop to Subaru i'm going for a white STi with gold rims I've waited long enough to get non watered version
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:32 PM

In addition...I think they still want to push their OZ Lancers. If they aired both OZ and Evo's, it would make the US Lancers seem sour.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by gtr
Subaru did the smackdown to but, I feel they got what they deserve.
I completely agree with you on this one!! They deserved it more then anything else! But, they are either way more stupid than we (or maybe it is just me) give them a credit for, or there is still a surprise waiting to happen, since everyone could have expect the response from the Subaru like this. Or, I am just being sickening optimist and should be brought to my senses...

Originally posted by gtr
All i have to say is that better offer my Front dealer installed LSD option asap. So i guess until they have the options finalized they arent' going to advertise.
As I mentioned earlier to you, I would be careful about this option. the old saying goes like: "Be careful what you wish for!"

Good luck old man!!

Fedja
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:38 PM

Mitsu is bringing along Ralliart. That was the surprise.

Ralliart will undoubtedly offer LSD for the front, as well as a free-flowing exhaust and other performance part. Mitsu made a badass car for less money than Subaru's STi. They will get the sales from people that can't afford to pay for the STi, and the sales from tuners that want the 4G63 to work with. They will get the sales from DSM owners that want a familiar engine to work with that will have less reliability issues. They will also get all the sales of hardcore racers that want a tunable platform with no devices to take the control of the car out of their hands.

Honestly, it's a good idea. If you're waiting for Mitsubishi to announce a 340 HP Mitsubishi Evo with ACD, AYC, a front LSD and a 6 speed all for 32k, don't hold your breath. They offered their car and they are offering you the parts to make it compete with the STi.

I hardly think they deserve any kind of punishment for that.

If you don't like the Evo enough to buy one, go to STi forums and talk to people that actually care that you think the STi is better and possibly agree with you.