Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any Euro spec Evos out there?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Euro spec Evos out there?

I love my Evo so much I am considering shipping it to Germany with me while I am there on a 2 year job assignment. I have contacted the TUV and I have a list of German homologation specs for the car. Since the Evo VIII is already a "world" model there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that needs to be altered to fit their regulations. Still, there are some obvious things I'd need to get: a rear fog lamp, a europeon instrument cluster that reads in KM, and tow hooks are the most obvious items.

Are there any EU Evo owners out there that have shots of the rear foglamp and tow hook setup (front and rear)? Anyone know of a good source for EU spec parts?

Has anybody tried importing a car to the EU in this manner?
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:49 PM

bump
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

I am in Belgium and know a couple of guys scattered accross Europe. There is a beg meet ant the Ring in 3weeks. Would be a good place for you to start. I shipped my car through the Military and I suggest if you have a boost controller turning it down as far as you can when you ship it. Also the car has to be spotless, with very little gas when you ship it. And if you can ship it one month before you leave, cause it will take atleast 30days to get to Europe.

Last edited by OldschoolEVO; Mar 5, 2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YetiEVO
I love my Evo so much I am considering shipping it to Germany with me while I am there on a 2 year job assignment. I have contacted the TUV and I have a list of German homologation specs for the car. Since the Evo VIII is already a "world" model there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that needs to be altered to fit their regulations. Still, there are some obvious things I'd need to get: a rear fog lamp, a europeon instrument cluster that reads in KM, and tow hooks are the most obvious items.

Are there any EU Evo owners out there that have shots of the rear foglamp and tow hook setup (front and rear)? Anyone know of a good source for EU spec parts?

Has anybody tried importing a car to the EU in this manner?
I can take some pictures of tow hooks for you tomorrow. Rear fog light is integrated with brake lights as you can see from picture below.

You need also remeber that you have to pay 10% toll (if I remember correctly) when importing car from U.S. to EU. Might be better idea to sell your car and get new one from Germany.
Attached Thumbnails Any Euro spec Evos out there?-evofoglight.jpg  
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:20 AM

Hey guys. Thanks!

I'll NEVER sell the Evo. Well, not yet at least. I'm trying to see how expensive shipping the Evo would be. If the costs are totally out of control I'll either store it or sell it. I'd really hate to sell it. If I store it, it will become a dedicated track car when I get back. Still, it would be a fun car in Europe, I'd think.

OldSchool,

Why do you recommend turning down the boost? How is your car insured?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Ship it over, buy a euro spec VIII, and swap the vin plates when you ship it back home. That way you'll have all the goodies registered in the US
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

OldSchool,

Why do you recommend turning down the boost? How is your car insured?
I recomend turning down the boost cause I dont trust any of the people that drive the cars on and off the boat. When I dropped my car off in South Carolina I had to take a Taxi to the airport and when we were leaving I saw people dawging the hell out of the cars when they were taking the cars to the pick up point. Sorry just dont trust them.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

buy the EU one... its faster and has tons of extra goodies !!!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by V8 HUNTR
buy the EU one... its faster and has tons of extra goodies !!!
The U.S. government takes a dim view of foreign spec cars. They are not allowed except for "exhibition" purposes. If you buy a car like a Porsche on european delivery
you get the U.S. spec model.

Actually, I read a review of the U.S. spec Evo 8 written up in a British mag when it first launched and they preferred it to the EU model - said it was more raw fun without the AYC. Whatever, an EU Evo costs significantly more than a U.S. car. Not a good idea, even if it was legal.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

The U.S. government takes a dim view of foreign spec cars. They are not allowed except for "exhibition" purposes. If you buy a car like a Porsche on european delivery
you get the U.S. spec model.

Actually, I read a review of the U.S. spec Evo 8 written up in a British mag when it first launched and they preferred it to the EU model - said it was more raw fun without the AYC. Whatever, an EU Evo costs significantly more than a U.S. car. Not a good idea, even if it was legal.

This right here should be a sticky. Probably the smartest thing I have ever read. Euro spec Evos are over rated. AYC is a bunch of crap, more than half of all AYC owners including myself dont like the system. Sure the euro cars come with little things like shifter knobs and other knick-knacks but it doesnt really do much for performance.

Keep your Evo bring it over here and put all the little stuff you want on it. You will be alot happier. As far as the rear fog light is concerned look the the pic I uploaded. Its not molded to the bumper, but its small and gets the job done.

My car is insured through USAA. It is cheaper to insure my Evo than it is my Mazda Protege. I wouldnt worry too much about insuring the car. Insuring the car is the easy part. Its registering that takes the longest. Took me 2months but yours should be easier.
Attached Thumbnails Any Euro spec Evos out there?-circle.jpg  

Last edited by OldschoolEVO; Mar 6, 2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Here's some tow hook pictures for you. Figured out that front tow hook is hidden behind some panels. If your car doesn't have them, it seems to me that they will quite difficult to ad afterwards. Considering the difficulties I'd still suggest that you sell or store it. We all love our cars and I know it sucks to sell it, but is it really worth the hustle? And AYC is great, I really don't get the complaints. Have to admit though that I haven't tried one without it. Only trade off is that bigradius smooth powerslides are hard to maintain since the AYC tries to correct the slide...
Attached Thumbnails Any Euro spec Evos out there?-towhookfront.jpg   Any Euro spec Evos out there?-towhookrear1.jpg   Any Euro spec Evos out there?-towhookrear2.jpg  
Old Mar 6, 2005, 06:59 PM

Let's just say this is a "feasibility study.'"

As for tow hooks, I'm going to have to go out to the garage and reexamine my car. I was thinking that tow hooks implied the screw-in type like VW's and BMW's have. Maybe that's a German thing and the rules in Finland are less strict?

Once again, any German Evo8's out there?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

You want Germany Evos go here http://www.lancerregister.com/home.php
or here http://www.lancerevoclub.org/index.shtml
Old Mar 6, 2005, 09:58 PM

OldSchool,

Thanks!

Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Let's just say this is a "feasibility study.'"

As for tow hooks, I'm going to have to go out to the garage and reexamine my car. I was thinking that tow hooks implied the screw-in type like VW's and BMW's have. Maybe that's a German thing and the rules in Finland are less strict?

Once again, any German Evo8's out there?
It's EU, same rules apply. It seems to be manufacturers choice what kind of hooks to use. There's only about 20 Evo 8:s in Finland, I therefore seriously doubt that Mitsubishi made different version here than for the rest of the EU