Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Originally posted by Dtech

I'm still looking for where I read the info about the Mitsubishi MSRP deal (been to a lot of websites lately) but I know from personal experience that the Subaru STi can not and will not be sold over MSRP.
And how do you know that?
Old Jan 21, 2003, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

THIS JUST IN!!!

I just got a call back from a local Mitsubishi dealer I had sent an e-mail to about the EVO (pricing, deposit, procedure, etc.) First of all they didn't sound too informed about all the details I think we know more than most dealers right now) because Mitsu has been slow to get out the info to them supposedly.

Anyway we disussed the fact thay they are receiving their first cars (11 of them) the second week in February and that they had already presold 2 for supposedly $4000 over invoice. I immediately told him that I wasn't really in a hurry to buy the car and that I was also cross shopping the Subaru STi and I knew for a fact that they will NOT be charging over MSRP for it. He immediately said "Well the first few people will get hit with a brick over the head, but let's just forget we had this conversation about pricing and we'll see what we can do when the cars come in."..... Sounds like a major backpedal to me!!! I just said that that sounded good and I'll be waiting for more info.

Mind you, I have no intention of buying a car before at least 5 or 6 months from now if not more, but it's good to know the "before" and "after" of how the dealers were willing to treat you at release and then later on in the year, especially since I've bought a car from this particular Mistubishi dealer in the past!

Funny enough, a salesperson from Kendall Mitsubishi another local dealer for me, has already posted that they will sellfor MSRP....Not that I mentioned it to this dealer! (William Lehman Mitsubishi)
Hey, I live 15 minutes away from Kendall , who did you talk to that said they will sell for MSRP? I am #2 on the list, but the guys there don't tell me anything. I am going to go in there some day this week and see what they can tell me, but I gotta get the info from you first. E-mail me if anything, diablo2184@aol.com.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Originally posted by Mark F

And how do you know that?
Drop by a Subaru dealer, speak with a manager or rep, or anyone that's been to the Detroit Auto show and spoken with the reps and you'll know.... Subaru of America did it with the release of the WRX and they are doing it again with the STi.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by diablo2184

Hey, I live 15 minutes away from Kendall , who did you talk to that said they will sell for MSRP? I am #2 on the list, but the guys there don't tell me anything. I am going to go in there some day this week and see what they can tell me, but I gotta get the info from you first. E-mail me if anything, diablo2184@aol.com.
There was a Kendall Mitsubishi sales person that posted in the MSRP listing. His user name is Cisco and he listed his e-mail address.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=11543
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
No harm in paying sticker for a hot, "in demand car". IMHO

Being in the car biz allows me to see it from the dealers eyes.
Any dealership that charges over sticker, is a dealership that you should definately walk out of..

I have never sold a Lexus for over sticker, because Lexus franchise and "Lexus Covenant" guidelines prohibit it....Lexus clients would be apalled if you "held them up" like that. Besides, how fair is it in general?

Seeing and hearing all of these stories about these jag off dealers charging waaay over sticker is starting to **** me off.

I mean, Here I am selling the best selling luxury car in the world, and wouldn/t think of gouging clients just because there is a feeding frenzy on the GX470, or whatever!

BTW...It was hinted that Mitsubishi has mentioned to dealers that the "average" over on pricing has been $3,000.00. They haven't exactly discouraged this pricing structure. Meeting with a Mits manager tommorw, so I will find out..

An EVO 8 over sticker is utterly ridiculous....
M3lachsilber: It's nice to know that other manufacturers are doing this as well and that there are some knowledgeable and understanding sales people / reps out there like yourself!

If you could provide a more "official" response about Mistubishi's practices and intentions that would be great. As I said before, I had read about the Mitsubishi pricing on another website which was apparently from a Mitsu sales person or rep, I'm just trying to find the damn post / message / website!
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Drop by a Subaru dealer, speak with a manager or rep, or anyone that's been to the Detroit Auto show and spoken with the reps and you'll know.... Subaru of America did it with the release of the WRX and they are doing it again with the STi.
What "reps"? The talking heads they import for the shows? I've got some friends in Subaru stores. None of them know what you are talking about.

Every time a hot new car comes out I see these postings on the net about how the manufacturer is going to really clamp down on the dealers if they mark the cars up. Just went through that with the 350Z - which I also sell. The reality is all the manufacturer can do is advise or make suggestions. Doing stuff like witholding allocations is going to make for a mighty P.O'd dealer council.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:52 PM

Well, when the WRX first came out I had a $500 deposit on one for actually $500 under MSRP because of some special circumstances at a Subaru dealer, but initially they were selling at MSRP, I saw it in black and white and was verified by more than one Subaru dealer. I ended up not buying the WRX right then letting common sense overcome my initial impulse to buy it right away and my patience has paid off.

Now I'm a member of the Subaru VIP program and can buy any car they sell for INVOICE. I've already sent an e-mail to Subaru to check on how this would affect my purchase of an STi.

Maybe a lot of sales people haven't been briefed on the new STi yet, but the sources (including second hand info from a Subaru dealer manager) I've mentioned indicate that the STi will sell for MSRP+tax+tag. The unofficial MSRP of $32K with everything except a radio has already been mentioned. Dealers are taking $500 REFUNDABLE deposits for this car because they know they can sell them. I know some people might say "well that's more than the EVO", but Subaru did take the rivalry to the next level given the specs of the US only STi. Not to mention that the US financed the development of the STi thanks to Subaru selling over 18,000 WRXs vs. their projection of 10,000. The STi is essentially a big THANK YOU to the US from Subaru.

If companies like BMW (mini), Lexus, and Subaru have done it, I'd be very surprised if Mitsubishi didn't do the same thing. Nothing is harder to get over than a bad image and at this point, Mitsubishi needs all the help it can get. Maybe they should stop selling all their cars for 0 down 0 payments and 0 interest forever...or can they?

Last edited by Dtech; Jan 21, 2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

If companies like BMW (mini), Lexus, and Subaru have done it, I'd be very surprised if Mitsubishi didn't do the same thing. Nothing is harder to get over than a bad image and at this point, Mitsubishi needs all the help it can get. Maybe they should stop selling all their cars for 0 down 0 payments and 0 interest forever...or can they?
There are some markets where ALL CARS are marked up over MSRP as a matter of course, irregardless of brand.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Mark F

There are some markets where ALL CARS are marked up over MSRP as a matter of course, irregardless of brand.
Yeah, it's called Car Sales Dreamland......

Sorry I couldn't resist....

Well, no one in the US at least should have to put up with that if there is some place in the US where this happens (except maybe Beverly Hills???....then again that's more of a separate country for rich people.... )

There are enough dealers within driving distance of most places in the US that you can get a good deal at, even if the locals are being unreasonably greedy.

It's one thing to want to make a profit and another thing to be greedy.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:03 PM

It's one thing to want to make a profit and another thing to be greedy.
This goes back to what I said in my first post, regardless of what Mitsubishi ends up doing.....

"For the record, I'm also looking at an EVO VIII, but I'm also looking at the STi, Mazda RX-8, New Mustang, GTO, and a few other cars that are coming out in the near future or that are already out (G35 Coupe for one). There is going to be so much competition out there in the sports car market over the next year that those who wait a little are going to be rewarded with some good deals on some nice cars."

Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

If there is still any doubt in anyone's mind about the sale price or deposit required for the STi and the need for Mitsubishi and their dealers to "officially" step up to the plate with MSRP pricing of their own, READ THIS THREAD:

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:03 PM
choad

Okay..

Real simple explanation about leaving a deposit at a dealership..
Unless you have a signed purchase agreement, and the figures are established to the bottom line including bottom line due at delivery, you have NOTHING!! (not to mention a vin number and what not)

Has Subaru even announced pricing? I mean official Subaru of North America pricing?
If not, all you have at your MSRP number, is the ooportunity to buy a car! If the dealer adds an official addendum at time of official sale, then you are given the ooportunity to pay over or walk....
I wasn't aware that there was official pricing at the dealers yet...
Old Jan 22, 2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
Okay..

Real simple explanation about leaving a deposit at a dealership..
Unless you have a signed purchase agreement, and the figures are established to the bottom line including bottom line due at delivery, you have NOTHING!! (not to mention a vin number and what not)

Has Subaru even announced pricing? I mean official Subaru of North America pricing?
If not, all you have at your MSRP number, is the ooportunity to buy a car! If the dealer adds an official addendum at time of official sale, then you are given the ooportunity to pay over or walk....
I wasn't aware that there was official pricing at the dealers yet...
Even though the MSRP figure is not yet official, the fact that all those people have a deposit, and most of them in WRITING that they will be sold an STi for MSRP (especially if signed by a manager), that is a legal binding agreement. Having an official purchase agreement written and signed entitles you to a specific car (VIN) at a specific price, but any written agreement that both parties sign and have copies of are a legally binding agreement. I don't see how the dealers could later say "oh, sorry you have to pay over MSRP even though we agreed to it", and try and add any kind of addendum to an already written agreement." Unless they are interested in dealing with a heck of a lot of law suits, including even a class action!
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to reality.

"purchase contracts" are pretty much worth the paper they're written on.

If the contract doesn't include a VIN number of a specific car, at a specific date, with specific options, with specific prices, the dealer can basically do anything they want.

If the agreement just says "MSRP" then they can install the special undercoating and charge an extra $5000 for it. Take it or leave it.

If your deal hinges on trying to get the dealer to hold to what's written down on paper, you've already lost.

Establish a relationship with the dealer. With the salesperson. With the sales manager. Get a level of comfort that they are interested in dealing fairly with you. But don't expect to use the deposit slip (no matter whom its signed by) as a legal contract to enforce something with the dealer.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:22 AM
choad

Contracts, etc. long..

Jedi you nailed it with that reply...

You must be in the business!

If there is ONE BLANK ITEM on the contract, it is useless..

I would encourage those that are under the impression that they will be paying sticker for a STi or an Evo or ANY car for that matter, confirm it by approaching the dealer and having a purchase agreement drawn up right away...like NOW if you are on the EVO list. Don't wait for the car to arrive..

The dealers have the VIN number, know the pricing, so therefore can write up an initial purchase agreement to commit both parties. Also, make sure they have a cash deposit otherwise it is for sure not a binding contract..

I am calling a real good contact at right now to feel out there protocal for "over list" pricing on the vehicle..
I was told that they were encouraging dealers to get over MSRP//

Quick Reply: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!