Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jedinite
You guys are right regarding the specifics of the law.

Of course its illegal. Of course its slimey.

That's not going to stop an unscrupulous dealer (like anyone wanting to charge a premium over MSRP) from doing it.

What are you going to do if you go back to the dealer and he lets you know there will be a $2000 "market adjustment" in the car?

Are you going to call the attorney general? Are you going to call a lawyer? Do you think either situation will result in you getting a car right away for MSRP from that dealer?

I'm just trying to give you a dose of reality from someone who has been there.... the paper on your purchase order stating "X car for MSRP" is pretty much worth the paper its written on.

Look at the loopholes:

"X car for MSRP" doesn't include options, including dealer installed options. Doesn't specify a total price tag. They could install a set of $3000 "MSRP" wheels. Or the infamous "paint protection" at $1500+.

"X car for MSRP" doesn't include a date. They will sell you one, some day... just not now.

And hundreds of other things.

If you have an actual purchase order with a VIN number, a production date, a delivery date, and a fixed dollar amount, you're in pretty good shape. Then you've got something resembling an actual contract.

But most dealer "pre-purchase orders" (like "you can buy an Evo VIII at MSRP") are smokescreens that any lawyer can get through on either side... trivial to get out of for either party.

Establish a relationship with your dealer... don't depend on a nebulous piece of paper and the threat of a lawsuit....
Not trying to kill your or anything, but several laws are in many states. This is where you choose to become a strong headed ******* or the nice guy. You can either join and yes make a friendship with your dealer which in works makes it so you won't get ****ed over because he has a concious. Or via you do use law on your side. I know for a fact that dealers are normal job people. They think they are better because they control a small power over an item you want. But of course they are just dealers. It just then depends on who knows how to use and abuse the law more. I am sorry but i have no problemm becoming a friend wiht my dealer but when people straight up look down at me like i am a mindless sap with money out my pockets. That is when i pull out the big guns, and attack the crap out of the dealer. Most dealers are ***** if you show them that you are bigger and badder
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:31 PM
choad

No offense, but are you 10 years old or something?!

".....That is when i pull out the big guns, and attack the crap out of the dealer. Most dealers are ***** if you show them that you are bigger and badder .."

Whatever dude...
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
No offense, but are you 10 years old or something?!

".....That is when i pull out the big guns, and attack the crap out of the dealer. Most dealers are ***** if you show them that you are bigger and badder .."

Whatever dude...
Ya... I am a 10 year old buying an evo.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:43 PM
choad

Anyways, Your post made absolutely no sense....

A dealer is never intimidated by some kid screaming and yelling on the showroom about how he won't pay over sticker for the car...(BTW..whether or not you are a thirty year old that writes like a ten year old, or just wanted to jump on the thread...)

They would quietly encourage you to leave, give you your deposit back, and show you the door..Seen it, done it, and most importantly , been there!!

My advice is to make sure that you have dotted your eyes and crossed your tees before you brag about how your EVO will be MSRP and no more..these are the facts that we cannot deny because they are true!! No ticky no washy!!

O yeah, I thought the pricing WAS announced? I was under the impression it would be $30,000 fully equipped?

Gee, you mean I was promised the car for MSRP and it could end up being $34,000 ??!!
Old Jan 22, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
Gee, you mean I was promised the car for MSRP and it could end up being $34,000 ??!!
Only if it's the Sti.....

MSRP for the EVO is $28,995 base with the only options being the wing and a sunroof......then again

Old Jan 25, 2003, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

well i went to Kendall Mitsubishi yesterday and they told me they probably will not be selling for msrp because of supply and demand, but they did say they will be getting 20 of them within a couple weeks, and then if they sell all of them quickly they will get more. they are still a little more skeptical then us, because he wasn't sure of the number of cars coming to the U.S. i will just have to wait and see what happens.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by diablo2184
well i went to Kendall Mitsubishi yesterday and they told me they probably will not be selling for msrp because of supply and demand, but they did say they will be getting 20 of them within a couple weeks, and then if they sell all of them quickly they will get more. they are still a little more skeptical then us, because he wasn't sure of the number of cars coming to the U.S. i will just have to wait and see what happens.
I can't locate cars pre-shipment outside my region but let me just say I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL that these guys, or anyone else, is getting 20 cars right off the bat.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mark F

I can't locate cars pre-shipment outside my region but let me just say I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL that these guys, or anyone else, is getting 20 cars right off the bat.
Well Kendall Mitsu is the biggest dealer in the Southeast Region. on their website it even says they are getting 20. check it out yourself.......www.kendallmitsubishi.com Do you work for Mitsu?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Dtech
Here is an excerpt from Florida Statutes:

1501.976 Actionable, unfair, or deceptive acts or practices.--It is an unfair or deceptive act or practice, actionable under the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, for a dealer to:

(9) Obtain signatures from a customer on contracts that are not fully completed at the time the customer signs or which do not reflect accurately the negotiations and agreement between the customer and the dealer.

(10) Require or accept a deposit from a prospective customer prior to entering into a binding contract for the purchase and sale of a vehicle unless the customer is given a written receipt that states how long the dealer will hold the vehicle from other sale and the amount of the deposit, and clearly and conspicuously states whether and upon what conditions the deposit is refundable or nonrefundable.

(15) Increase the price of the vehicle after having accepted an order of purchase or a contract from a buyer, notwithstanding subsequent receipt of an official price change notification. The price of a vehicle may be increased after a dealer accepts an order of purchase or a contract from a buyer if:
(a) A trade-in vehicle is reappraised because it subsequently is damaged, or parts or accessories are removed;
(b) The price increase is caused by the addition of new equipment, as required by state or federal law;
(c) The price increase is caused by the revaluation of the United States dollar by the Federal Government, in the case of a foreign-made vehicle;
(d) The price increase is caused by state or federal tax rate changes; or
(e) Price protection is not provided by the manufacturer, importer, or distributor.

The only thing that (e) refers to is if the manufacturer, importer, or distributor has not set pricing for the dealer yet. The dealer has the right to alter the price according to the price given to them given the offical price from the provider.

What all this boils down to is, at least in the State of Florida and I suspect everywhere else, if you have an agreement stating MSRP+tax+tag, signatures, and a deposit, the dealer MUST honor the agreement!
where did you get this from?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by diablo2184

Well Kendall Mitsu is the biggest dealer in the Southeast Region. on their website it even says they are getting 20. check it out yourself.......www.kendallmitsubishi.com Do you work for Mitsu?
I don't doubt they are the biggest dealer in their region, but if what was posted above - that they are getting 20 cars initially - is an accurate assessment of their claim, I am highly skeptical. This would be the only store IN THE NATION that I am aware of that would be getting that many cars FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, let alone in early allocations. 20 for the year I can believe, if only just. 20 units off the bat seems very far fetched.

Yes I work for Mitsubishi.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Please god not another MSRP thread!
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

My dealer said that base price was $29,000 and that the big wing is a $2,000 dollor option. Does anyone know if this is true, or is my dealer smoking crack. I have my deal worked out with the VIN #'s, deposit, and everything filled out. I am paying about $2,000 over sticker. I have talked to 20 dealers and I don't think I could find a better deal. Hell, I guess its worth it to me, but you never know if they will drop the mark up a week later after I get it. That really blows.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sano
My dealer said that base price was $29,000 and that the big wing is a $2,000 dollor option. Does anyone know if this is true, or is my dealer smoking crack. I have my deal worked out with the VIN #'s, deposit, and everything filled out. I am paying about $2,000 over sticker. I have talked to 20 dealers and I don't think I could find a better deal. Hell, I guess its worth it to me, but you never know if they will drop the mark up a week later after I get it. That really blows.
It doesnt surprise me it costs that much, its made entirely out of carbon fiber, and CF isnt exactly cheap. Heck the JDM STi CF wing is like $1400 from an aftermarket parts place, and things at a dealership are more money so $2000 sounds about right to me.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

my dealer said they are giving large spoiler as a standard thing.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sano
The Dealer Pricing Template still reads TBD for all package pricing. Anybody who gives you ANY kind of figures is guessing. We simply don't know yet and probably won't until next month.

Quick Reply: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!