Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Hi ALL!

This being my first post, I wanted to go ahead and share this with everyone right off the bat. Do yourselves a favor....do not pay over MSRP for your EVO VIII! I have read in a couple of places mentioning that company reps, for not only the Mitsubishi EVO VIII, but also for the Suabru WRX STi, have said that any dealers that sell those cars over MSRP will have their following allocations withheld / cancelled. I know for a FACT that Suabru of America will not allow their dealers to sell the STi for over MSRP and the Mitsu information seemed genuine and reliable.

For the record, I'm also looking at an EVO VIII, but I'm also looking at the STi, Mazda RX-8, New Mustang, GTO, and a few other cars that are coming out in the near future or that are already out (G35 Coupe for one). There is going to be so much competition out there in the sports car market over the next year that those who wait a little are going to be rewarded with some good deals on some nice cars.

Also don't buy something just because it's a fad or the "in thing" to do. Make sure it's what YOU really want, because there's nothing worse than buyer's remorse, especially when you are talking about something that costs $30K.

Anyway...I'll get off my soap box now. .....LOL.

Good to be here to shoot the breeze....
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:38 PM

There is going to be so much competition out there in the sports car market over the next year that those who wait a little are going to be rewarded with some good deals on some nice cars.
I agree with you 100% i would also couple that with don't get the first year production model (Trouble year) wait for the first major parts revision. I personally like to stick to my purchase once i get something... i still have my '92 GSX with 210k miles on the clock and still pumping money into it to keep it running hehehe.

- Fazman
Old Jan 20, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

That's good that is doing that! This way they don't lose sales because of a few idiot dealers. Thanks for the info, it gives me another bargaining tool when I go into the dealership.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

but is making EVERY dealer sell for msrp? or just select dealers?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

I see it as, Im willing to pay a little more then someone else just to get the car first.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by YellwTyper
I see it as, Im willing to pay a little more then someone else just to get the car first.
To each their own and this is fine if you are willing to do it, but here is the problem with that.....

Subaru/Mitsubishi are producing those cars for a specific target market. If they were to leave it up to the dealers to price these vehicles with mark ups to outrageous prices, the demand, along with a bunch of people with money to burn would drive the price of these cars out of their target market and making it impossible for a lot of people to own them. This in turn would put the cars to compete with products at a totally different trim/luxury/performance level such as Audis, BMWs, and other higher priced cars and defeat the purpose of making them to begin with because once you get to a certain price range, the people with lots of money start looking at it as "why do I want to pay this much for a Mitsubishi/Subaru when I can buy X brand car for this much". Then the sales for the Mitsu/Suabru start to suffer and they get discontinued for lack of demand. (RX-7, Supra, and 3000GT ring a bell?)

The EVO and STi are meant to be affordable high performance enthusiast cars for those of us that can't afford or have no desire to own luxury sports cars and I applaud Mitsubishi and Subaru for trying to keep it that way!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:33 PM

Not knocking the people that want to be the first on their block to drive one of these for the "bragging rights", but let's face it, there's going to be plenty of other of them on the road sooner if not later......

The only way I could see getting a car first could be a benefit is if you get a REALLY low serial number and preserve the car without driving it as a nice collector car.

Just my 2 cents and no hard feelings.....
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Where did you read this information about Mitsubishi not wanting their Dealers to sell above MSRP? If it is writen somewhere official, maybe we could use it at dealers that insist on ripping us off.
Something else to think about... My local dealer told me that Mitsubishi wants him to order "accessories" and put them on the car prior to sales so they can jack the price. Do they even have accessories for the Evo yet..?
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:42 PM

Thumbs down Dealers Suck

Guys are bidding over 1K now on ebay to buy a car at MSRP! That is not MSRP That is at least 1k over MSRP.. My dealers are quoting 5K over MSRP( Avondale , Mark and Tempe Mitsu) They sound like a recording Gotta Gouge while the gougin is good!

I will wait!
Good luck to the rest!
Kevin
Old Jan 20, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Originally posted by Dtech
Hi ALL!

This being my first post, I wanted to go ahead and share this with everyone right off the bat. Do yourselves a favor....do not pay over MSRP for your EVO VIII! I have read in a couple of places mentioning that company reps, for not only the Mitsubishi EVO VIII, but also for the Suabru WRX STi, have said that any dealers that sell those cars over MSRP will have their following allocations withheld / cancelled. I know for a FACT that Suabru of America will not allow their dealers to sell the STi for over MSRP and the Mitsu information seemed genuine and reliable.

What your describing has NEVER been uttered toward the principals for the dealership I work for, and probably because I don't think its legal. By law retailers are free to charge whatever the market will bare - above or below MSRP. Manufacturers can not dictate pricing.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

BMW did that with the mini. All minis were sold at msrp and were only given to certain dealerships that would comply.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Re: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!

Originally posted by Mark F

What your describing has NEVER been uttered toward the principals for the dealership I work for, and probably because I don't think its legal. By law retailers are free to charge whatever the market will bare - above or below MSRP. Manufacturers can not dictate pricing.
You are right, the dealership has the right to sell the car for whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturer has to give them any cars. So far, it doesn't look like the law would have anything to do with it when it comes to a manufacturer making a mandate to its distributors. I'm still looking for where I read the info about the Mitsubishi MSRP deal (been to a lot of websites lately) but I know from personal experience that the Subaru STi can not and will not be sold over MSRP.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 06:23 PM

THIS JUST IN!!!

I just got a call back from a local Mitsubishi dealer I had sent an e-mail to about the EVO (pricing, deposit, procedure, etc.) First of all they didn't sound too informed about all the details I think we know more than most dealers right now) because Mitsu has been slow to get out the info to them supposedly.

Anyway we disussed the fact thay they are receiving their first cars (11 of them) the second week in February and that they had already presold 2 for supposedly $4000 over invoice. I immediately told him that I wasn't really in a hurry to buy the car and that I was also cross shopping the Subaru STi and I knew for a fact that they will NOT be charging over MSRP for it. He immediately said "Well the first few people will get hit with a brick over the head, but let's just forget we had this conversation about pricing and we'll see what we can do when the cars come in."..... Sounds like a major backpedal to me!!! I just said that that sounded good and I'll be waiting for more info.

Mind you, I have no intention of buying a car before at least 5 or 6 months from now if not more, but it's good to know the "before" and "after" of how the dealers were willing to treat you at release and then later on in the year, especially since I've bought a car from this particular Mistubishi dealer in the past!

Funny enough, a salesperson from Kendall Mitsubishi another local dealer for me, has already posted that they will sellfor MSRP....Not that I mentioned it to this dealer! (William Lehman Mitsubishi)

Last edited by Dtech; Jan 20, 2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:35 PM

I went to a dealership today and they said they are taking $2000 deposits for the Evo at, get this, at least $5000 over sticker. I laughed at him and walked out.

No way I pay over sticker. There are other cars that become more attractive at a higher price range.

Don't over pay, its just not right.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:28 PM
choad

No harm in paying sticker for a hot, "in demand car". IMHO

Being in the car biz allows me to see it from the dealers eyes.
Any dealership that charges over sticker, is a dealership that you should definately walk out of..

I have never sold a Lexus for over sticker, because Lexus franchise and "Lexus Covenant" guidelines prohibit it....Lexus clients would be apalled if you "held them up" like that. Besides, how fair is it in general?

Seeing and hearing all of these stories about these jag off dealers charging waaay over sticker is starting to **** me off.

I mean, Here I am selling the best selling luxury car in the world, and wouldn/t think of gouging clients just because there is a feeding frenzy on the GX470, or whatever!

BTW...It was hinted that Mitsubishi has mentioned to dealers that the "average" over on pricing has been $3,000.00. They haven't exactly discouraged this pricing structure. Meeting with a Mits manager tommorw, so I will find out..

An EVO 8 over sticker is utterly ridiculous....

Quick Reply: Don't Pay Over MSRP!!!