Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Newbie needs intake help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Questions

Ok I'm either going to go with a K&N drop in filter or an open intake filter from Buschur. My car is completly stock and I don't have any plans for any other mods anytime soon. So which one would you go with?????? I kind of want to hear the BOV more so I was thinking the open filter. But with the open filter do you think I'll mess up my ecu????? Also I'm on a tight budget.

Hers the open filter pic
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs intake help-evo8_airfilter1_large.jpg  

Last edited by EvoRhodeIsland; Aug 28, 2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:26 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Save your money and do the exhaust. you will get a much bigger gain.
Downpipe is a huge improvement

Last edited by JTB; Mar 10, 2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

K&N drop in works great and doesn't mess up your MAF signal. I have seen it make 7whp on my stock Evo.The Buschur would be Ok but without tuning I would not put in on your car as well as the K&N typhoon or HKS just about any intake systems just mess with it to much if your not going to get tuned for it.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Open element intakes have been known to upsect the ecu by causing turbulence through the maf sensor. Sputtering and stalling have been some of the complaints. Though these things can be addressed through thorough engine tuning. I would start with exhaust upgrades, since much of the evo's power is due to the turbo and the energy derived from the exhaust gases. Although engine tuning will give better results with an exhaust, nonetheless a 3" turboback exhaust will yeild better results than any intake. Exhaust parts are more expensive than intake though.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

I would love to do a TBE but like you say it's more expensive and I don't have it.......I do like the Injen TBE...........I have had great luck with injen products in the past
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

I say get a turboback or at least a downpipe
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Just save money for a little while it will be well worth it. A full tbe can be had for around $750, i.e. Buschur, Helix. Prepare to annoy the neighbors thoug.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:41 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

There are always used exhausts coming up for sale.
Be patient and save. It is a much better investment!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

ok so a downpipe would be a good first mod besides a TBE??? Does this make the exhaust change in sound???????

If it is a good first mod how about this one when it is back in stock.......

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...uctid=319#tabs
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

How about a Boost gauge and a MBC? Cheap and best bang for your buck .. Especially if you already have a boost gauge ... =D
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Correct me if I am wrong but the first mod that anyone does should surely NOT be a downpipe...what is the point if you are connecting it to an inferior setup behind it. You may be able to get away with another 2.5" but noway a 3" would help.

The first mod's I would recommend would be:
- MR BOV...stock one is plastic and sometimes leaks under high strain. Plus if you are going to mod in the future this one can hold upto 24ish psi no prob and is only 100 buck.
- Boost gauge...let's you know what the turbo is up to and is necessary for tuning in the future

The rest of the mod's require some type of tuning (dynoflash, Vishnu, Turbo Trix...etc) to run smoothly and effectively. If no tuning then little gains are acheived relative to with tuning and could result in stalling or other crap to happen that is no fun:
- Cat back or turbo back exhaust
- Intake
- Boost controller

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do. The best advise anyone could give is to do a lot of Q&A and learn as much as you can before making an investment.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info.................thats what i'm trying to do...Q/A
Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Gauges would be a good first. check out that gauge solution 42DD has. No sense in upgrading things that affect boost without having a way to monitor it.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:07 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ty-Evo8
Correct me if I am wrong but the first mod that anyone does should surely NOT be a downpipe...what is the point if you are connecting it to an inferior setup behind it. You may be able to get away with another 2.5" but noway a 3" would help.

The first mod's I would recommend would be:
- MR BOV...stock one is plastic and sometimes leaks under high strain. Plus if you are going to mod in the future this one can hold upto 24ish psi no prob and is only 100 buck.
- Boost gauge...let's you know what the turbo is up to and is necessary for tuning in the future

The rest of the mod's require some type of tuning (dynoflash, Vishnu, Turbo Trix...etc) to run smoothly and effectively. If no tuning then little gains are acheived relative to with tuning and could result in stalling or other crap to happen that is no fun:
- Cat back or turbo back exhaust
- Intake
- Boost controller

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do. The best advise anyone could give is to do a lot of Q&A and learn as much as you can before making an investment.
I have to disagree with you in a couple places.

- it is unecessary to upgrade the BOV initially unless you are having a problem. I am presently making almost 270 whp on a dynodynamics dyno with the stock bov.

- The exhaust does not require tuning to get power improvements. When i first put my turbo back on it felt great -- without tuning. You will, of course, get the most out of it with tuning. But the gains are significant even without.

You will, however, want tuning for an intake. Have you considered tuning alone? Not too expensive and has considerable gains.

- Gauges are a great first mod. I realize they make no power but it is great to have them as you can watch the changes the mods make.

Good luck,
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Get the buschur air filter, and you will gain 4whp according to them. DO NOT get the maf pipe ( turbo inlet) since you need to get that tuned in order to aviod problems and to get the power out of it.

Also dont get a downpipe before getting a catback and a cat delete. Its pointless to relieve back pressure starting from the front of the car going towards the back since the car wil get choked due to the restriction coming from the rest of the exhaust system being 2.5" and the 3" downpipe. Work your way from the back towards the front; catback-cat delete-downpipe-o2housing.

I currently have the buschur air filter and i cant tell if i have gained power yet the car breaths better and the BOV is loud. I have a greddy type s and sounds sweet. I will get the hks rs kit and a reflash to compensate. I hope this helped u