Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody else have rough gears?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chills
I just got my '03 Evo this past Saturday and noticed when I am on the freeway and shifting into 5th it grinds... any thoughts on this?

It's an '03 with just over 13,000 miles on it.

- chills
Thats a recalled problem, alot of people on this site have gotten a new 5th gear synchro no problem, i believe mine also got it done before i bought it.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
Thats a recalled problem, alot of people on this site have gotten a new 5th gear synchro no problem, i believe mine also got it done before i bought it.
Thanks for the information. I will have to take it to the shop and see what can be done!

- chills
Old Mar 24, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, after the rebuild, the gears are nice and smooth. I had the rebuild from TRE. I have decided to change out the tranny fluid; i think ive decided on the 2:1 solution (2qts of MT90 and 1 of MTL...redline) I still have to investigate though...i had an LSD inserted and am not sure if the front LSD takes gear oil from the tranny sump...if so, I need to know if the same oil will do the job. I hear great reviews from the 2:1 solution....everything else is going to be OEM fluid
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:21 PM

i had the same problem but i change my tranny fluid to GM synchromesh and after that i have no problem or no grinds at all
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what I hear:
notchy= normal
grinding (after at operating temp, not driver error) = worn synchros

TRE does excellent work. They can fix both problems and make the tranny much stronger/better. Kinda pricey, but you get what you pay for