Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody else have rough gears?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody else have rough gears?

I have 1200 miles on my Evo VIII now and ever since I got it I have noticed it is rough going into 3rd alot of the time. Most of the time I put it into 3rd it kinda "clunks" in... cant describe it better. Clutch is fully depressed and I have tested it moving and not moving. The first time I put it into 3rd its rough then after that for the next few mins its fine.. then into 3rd again its rough... anybody else have this issue?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup...going into 2, 3 & sometimes 4th.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

same thing happens to me once out of every 3rd or 4th shift, just thought it was normal, doesnt really bother me.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:48 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Mine's been hard going into 2nd ever since new. It slips right in sometimes, but normally goes in with a clunk. It's not a grinding gear sound so I doubt the stealership will do anything about it and it only really occurs when I'm shifting quickly, so they'd most likely just tell me to shift slower as it's some kind of advanced safety feature to protect the tranny .
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

UFO...you pretty much nailed it. I've had the exact same problems and feel the same way about my stealership.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just want to have an idea before I start modding it... dont want a tranny problem in 10k after some light mods and satan say F*** Off.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem going from 2nd into 1st at a stop, or sometimes into 3rd. Transaxle fluid has a lot to do with it. I changed to Redline MT90 and it got much worse. Mixed in some MTL (2:1 MT90 to MTL) and it got much better. It should also get better when it is warm out.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Well my "solution" to the problem will consist of the following:

1. B&M short shifter (or any short shifter for that matter)
2. Solid brass or plastic shifter base bushings
3. Kartboy (or who's ever) shift linkage bushings (the ones in the engine bay area)

With all this done I hope that the shifting will be smoother/better.

If not then I will let the damn things grind away until she won't budge anymore. Then get a tranny rebuild or by that time there should be a good quantity of used ones in the salvage yard.

This sucks tho.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

The notchiness in shifting is a charachteristic of a cable shifted transaxle. If the noise is gear grinding/ clunk from transmission there is obviously damage occuring. Bushings and short shifter will help notchiness in shifter.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

i dont have that problem, but my 4th gear grinds then goes in at high-mid rpms. syncro
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^as that maybe a characterisitic of the notchiness, the grinding of gears (and popping out of gears) is not normal for a new with "good" synchronizers. I believe that tolerances were off from Mitsu due to poor QA. If your problems got as bad as mine, I would opt for a rebuild. I did not want to ask for a new transmission from the dealership because their could be a pool of marginally built transmissions. To sum it up, my transfercase was good...a little wear around the gears but I believe I broke the car in well. Popular to contrary believe, I believe that breaking in a car is very important for the lengevity of the drivetrain (see Car and Driver's long term 2003 Evolution report)

As for my tranny, 2nd gear locked out in the morning, 3rd gear grinded bad and the rest just didnt standup to want I wanted. Once I recieve and install my transmission, I think I will write up a nice thread on my findings. To be honest, this has been the only shortcoming to the car I have ran into. Even the clutch was nice and healthy after numerous canyon runs.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

My fifth gear is beginning to grind when shifting at high rpms.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

EVOla VIRUS,

You may be correct about the QA. Maybe it was due to them hurrying in order to get the Evo to the US market or if the people building it are pissed at USA (for the war and stuff, it seems we get blamed for the world problems when we are the only ones willing to deal with the problems the world has) and don't care what they send us. Who know's...

Anyway that is why I plan to do the before mentioned mod's to try and rectify the problem or at least make it a lil-bit better. I have had my car for a year now and I am sure some damage has been done already. I don't plan to do the mod's until the end of summer or maybe not until next year and god know what damage will happen until then. I am a realistic guy (most of the time) and recognize that I will need to rebuild the tranny sooner or later. I would agree that the tranny is the only major problem I have with the Evo.

So you are getting a rebuilt tranny? Who is rebuilding it for you? How much for the rebuild? I would very much like to hear your review of the rebuilt tranny. I will be needing one sooner or later.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:57 PM

I just got my '03 Evo this past Saturday and noticed when I am on the freeway and shifting into 5th it grinds... any thoughts on this?

It's an '03 with just over 13,000 miles on it.

- chills
Old Mar 11, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

^ my only thought would be to get use to it...