Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Mobil1 Oil

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, if you read under the standard Mobil 1 product description:

Originally Posted by Mobil Website
Mobil 1 10W-30 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.
So, if the extended life says not for severe duty and turbocharged applications, and the regular Mobil 1 says it is for those applications, I know which one I'm going to use.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Amsoil actually advertises that you don't have to change their oil for something like 15,000 miles.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
You should be using the green cap 10w30. Look at the owner's manual.
That's funny on mine it says use 5W-30W full synthetic for easier start up in cold weather and it doesn't say use Mobile 1. Also why are we so ademant on using Mobil 1 oil. Just because the oil cap say "factory filled with Mobil 1" doesn't mean we have to use it. There are other synthetic out there . The only reason Mobil 1 is used is because they are a major sponsor in the rally world for Mitsu. I bet if it says "Factory filled with Redline fluid" all of us will be using Redline. Just an example.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

first i would like to tell everyone who answers "i've changed oil at 3000 and dont have a problem" to go post elsewhere, because we're talking about what is the affect of changing oil LESS. second, it is FACTUAL that 3000 mile interval is a marketing scheme made by motor oil industries long ago and they will admit the 3000 mile is not NECESSARY. as a personal preference for me is 4000 miles, unless i go racing, then half of that.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I started getting the oil changed at wal-mart awhile back...its cheap enough to have it changed whenever I have the time. $23 dollars for a full mobile 1 oil change and filter. They are the only place that actually takes any left over oil from the alloted amount and put it in my trunk to use add in as needed. Plus the check differential and transfer cases fluids..top off the IC sprayer and the other reserve.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

^^^You must have a "special" Wal Mart because mine can't even remember to put the oil caps on or put a drain plug in without cross threading it. I wish I could trust the workers at the wal mart near me but I don't trust many people when it come to working on the evo.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

I use 5w30 because its winter, i switch over to 10w30 in the summer. Yes, maybe 2500 miles i overkill but i cant help it, its the easiest way to keep your engine alive for a long time. I go by oil color, whenever i change it. My oil is pretty dark everytime i change it, so i figure why not? And im sure that all of the new oils (5k, 7.5k and 15k) are synthetic. thanks for all the feedback. if anyone actually uses it, post up!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by koolade9
think of it from this perspective...

changing your oil too frequently could potentially shorted engine life.

when you change your oil, you drain all the oil out of the gallies, and out of the oilpump pickup. when you refill it and start it up for the first time, your engine will rotate approx 25-50 times before full oil pressure is restored.

oil companies talk about how hard startup is on the motor...well, imagine initial startup with no oil to lubricate.

in the grand scheme of things, up untill the early 90s, noone talked about changing oil every 3k. it was normally 5k-7k, and that was with conventional oil, that's not even with synthetic. that's where the 15k oil name comes from on the mobil 1 synthetic...on a standard car, that'll hold true. no change in formula. the whole 3k thing was marketing.

just my opinion...

NO WAY!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Mobil 1 only in all my cars.

I think it is important to consider how you drive to determine the oil change interval. If all you did was one track day then the oil might be used up in just that day. But if you just drove from LA to NY and back a couple of times in cruise mode you may not have to change the oil at all. I know that I have a lot of "fun" with my cars. I am at the red line multiple times a day.

I change the Mobil 1 at 2500 intervals only because I am getting the 5000 mile interval changes free at the dealer. I don't think that autoX, track days, and my standard duty cycle will allow me to go as long as 5000 miles between changes. So I change the oil myself midway between dealer changes.

I have noticed the bottle changes from Mobil and was scared that they finally gave up on the true Mobil 1 formula. I hope they stick it out.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would stick to the "free" maintenance oil changes, that came with my 04 Evo...every 5000 miles or so till it runs out at 45K miles... after that, I would probably start changing the oil out at least 4K miles with the Mobil 1. definitely seems like a waste changing out every 3K miles if the car is not tracked or constantly driven hard.

On my old Impreza RS.. I would usually change at 4K miles and even went to about 6K miles, and never had any problems with the Mobil 1. I was more worried about the filter going bad than the oil itself.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Huh? $23!?! I pay about that much for the 5 quarts of oil alone at WalMart, and another few bucks for the oil filter from the dealer. Then there's the labor. Was that price for your Evo, or for another car with less oil in it?

Originally Posted by bdking57
I started getting the oil changed at wal-mart awhile back...its cheap enough to have it changed whenever I have the time. $23 dollars for a full mobile 1 oil change and filter. They are the only place that actually takes any left over oil from the alloted amount and put it in my trunk to use add in as needed. Plus the check differential and transfer cases fluids..top off the IC sprayer and the other reserve.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

i use the mobil1 10w30 fully synthetic and change mine every 3500 miles, and also i use the mobil 1 filter